Quantcast
Lenovo s10e: 10.1" Netbook for $380 on RFD... worth it? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Lenovo s10e: 10.1" Netbook for $380 on RFD... worth it?

Default Lenovo s10e: 10.1" Netbook for $380 on RFD... worth it?

http://www.redflagdeals.com/deals/ma..._6_cell_bluet/

This thing should have enough power to play divx files, right?

I don't have a laptop... don't really need one either. But for $380 it wouldn't be too bad to have kicking around. Could be useful for long trips to the field where I can tether it to my iPhone and have internet on the road...

What are your guys' thoughts? Anyone have any experience with these netbooks?

My Ride
    Sentra

I saw that deal too, but I passed. You can get an acer aspire one from bestbuy/futureshop for $350. might be better than a chinese made lenovo.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by GoChris
    I saw that deal too, but I passed. You can get an acer aspire one from bestbuy/futureshop for $350. might be better than a chinese made lenovo.
    Just to point out, Lenovo is IBM (or vice versa). And Acer is Taiwanese.

And also to point out: don't get fooled by the country of origin effect, which causes you to assume innacurate information just because of where an item is built.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Got my Aspire one for $330 including tax from staples.

Lenovo has a 10" screen instead of 9" of AAO and has a 6cell option.

DIVX, H.264 480p runs fine. 720p is watchable depending on bit rate. 1080p is a definite no.

It's a good portable unit but don't expect it to do any real work like video editing or gaming.

Originally posted by HyperZell

And also to point out: don't get fooled by the country of origin effect, which causes you to assume innacurate information just because of where an item is built.
    Lenovo WAS IBM. The Chinese company bought it and since Thinkpad quality isn't the same.

They are all made in China regardless of origin of company. Even IBM sales bash Lenovo quality after the unit was sold to Chinese and all the IBM engineering are replaced by cheap/quick to market designs.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-20-2009 at 02:45 PM.

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by HyperZell

Originally posted by Xtrema

Lenovo WAS IBM. The Chinese company bought it and since Thinkpad quality isn't the same.

They are all made in China regardless of origin of company. Even IBM sales bash Lenovo quality after the unit was sold to Chinese and all the IBM engineering are replaced by cheap/quick to market designs.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I've got 3 Lenovo laptops and an old IBM Thinkpad. The older IBM was better quality......but the new Lenovos are pretty good compared to the Dell, HP and Toshiba crap that out there these days.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Did you have a point? One is now associated with the other. I didn't make any claims as to the quality.

And my point about the country of origin effect applies to something like this: because it was made in China, it must be poor quality. Or, because it was made in Japan, it must be high quality.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.