Quantcast
Landlords? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Landlords?

My Ride
    PL24T

Default Landlords?

Just a question to see if or where I can seek recourse.

My lease is up at the end of the month and I talked to my landlord a couple of weeks ago and we verbally agreed that the rent would go down by 100 dollars to 1500 a month. Just talked to her tonight to see when we could go down and sign the new lease and she decided that the rent is going to stay where it is. I know 100 bucks isn't much but the prinicpal of it pisses me off. Any legal or other recourse I can take?

Thanks.

My Ride
    Lease

Just don't renew the lease and find another place... she probably had a change of heart or just need to keep the $$$ to fill her soccer hauling SUV with gas prices the way they are.

This is just a matter of "ethics" or integrity. Another thing is, was it spoken in a hypertherical way: "Hey, when the lease is up for renewal, I MIGHT look into lowering $100, but we'll see what happens and let you know"

Or was it a guarantee??: "Hey, you're such a great guy, starting next month, I'll lower your rent by $100, for sure"

My Ride
    CRF 250L

I think you could find cheaper rent elsewhere.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    My Car

1500 a month wow u can get a downpayment ona house

^ I like how you guys make comments about the price being too high without knowing anything about the sq foot or location...

My Ride
    A Pearl Diamond

Originally posted by turbotrip
    ^ I like how you guys make comments about the price being too high without knowing anything about the sq foot or location...
    ha ha ha good point...

My Ride
    335i

That landlord is a real dumbass. If you leave, she'll have a vacant property for at least one month. That $100 increase will take over a year to recover.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    That landlord is a real dumbass. If you leave, she'll have a vacant property for at least one month. That $100 increase will take over a year to recover.
    Agreed there, I'm sure you can easily find another place for the $100 less that you would be paying and then she'd be screwed without a tenant for at least a month. Moving sucks but if you believe in the principle, it's worth it.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    She smell weakness in the tenant.

My Ride
    My Car

Originally posted by turbotrip
    I didnt see the OP stating where he was living or how big the house that hes living in . Its fun how u cut to the chase

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

shameless plug.

want a 2 bedroom 2 bath colours condo for $1500/month?
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

No legal recourse... it must be in writing, ie a lease or agreement saying it's $100 less must be signed.

It's either find a new place or sign at the rate you both agree to.

Tell her that you would not sign a new lease, will go month to month. Read your rental agreement to see what it states in terms of renewing a lease. Mine said that 30 days before last day of current lease, landlord would provide option for a new lease, which, if agreed to, renter can sign and accept; otherwise, renter can move out; and that if landlord does not provide such lease renewal, then a month to month is assumed.

Go by the book. Not worth any legal recourse, and like others said, I am sure you can find another place for less than what you are paying now if you put the time and effort into it. Mind you, even if you find a place for 1400, that's a 1200 saving over a year of which you can use half to get movers to get your stuff out.

My Ride
    PL24T

Originally posted by FullMetal
    1500 a month wow u can get a downpayment ona house
    Not sure what 1500 is going to do. That wouldn't even be a 0.5% downpayment on the place we are in now.

Thanks for the suggestions. We are moving out this week and found a nice place for less money.

They really are sketchy. I looked over the lease I had originally and it was signed and witnessed May 14/08. I had a copy faxed to me on May 19/08 and that copy for some reason isn't witnessed. Kind of makes me wonder what kind of operations they are running. Now, with luck the landlord won't have kept the move in inspection and I will get all of my deposit back.

My Ride
    PL24T

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    Just don't renew the lease and find another place... she probably had a change of heart or just need to keep the $$$ to fill her soccer hauling SUV with gas prices the way they are.

This is just a matter of "ethics" or integrity. Another thing is, was it spoken in a hypertherical way: "Hey, when the lease is up for renewal, I MIGHT look into lowering $100, but we'll see what happens and let you know"

Or was it a guarantee??: "Hey, you're such a great guy, starting next month, I'll lower your rent by $100, for sure"
    It was definitely a firm 1500. I was asking for 1400 and she met me in the middle.