Falsely accused cabbie sues accusers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Falsely accused cabbie sues accusers

Default Falsely accused cabbie sues accusers

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...r-lawsuit.html

Edmonton cabbie sues passengers over false assault allegations
    Last Updated: Friday, May 15, 2009 | 12:26 PM MT Comments274Recommend204
    CBC News
    Edmonton cab driver Soner Yasa has filed a civil lawsuit against four young women who were passengers in his taxi in 2006. Edmonton cab driver Soner Yasa has filed a civil lawsuit against four young women who were passengers in his taxi in 2006. (CBC)

A veteran Edmonton taxi driver is speaking publicly about a civil lawsuit he filed last year against four young women who falsely accused him of sexual assault after travelling in his car three years ago.

"I just want to give those girls [a] lesson," Soner Yasa told CBC News. "We're so vulnerable as a cab driver."

The lawsuit, filed by Yasa in Edmonton's Court of Queen's Bench in April 2008, seeks about $240,000 in damages from the four women ($60,000 each) to cover emotional and mental distress. His allegations have not been proven in court. One of the four young women filed a statement of defence last month in which she admits to getting into Yasa's taxi but denies the rest of his allegations.

In April 2006, Yasa picked up the young women, all 19, along Whyte Avenue, a well-known strip of bars and restaurants in Edmonton. The girls were intoxicated, and trouble began when one of them tried to light up a cigarette, Yasa said. It is illegal to smoke in an Edmonton taxi cab, and Yasa told her to put out the cigarette or risk a $500 fine.

Just then, the girls demanded Yasa stop the cab, and they got out, refusing to pay the $13 fare. Then they accused Yasa of sexually molesting them, Yasa said. They called their friends, and Yasa soon was surrounded by what he calls a "mob." Both Yasa and friends of the four girls called police.

However, what happened in the taxi was caught on a video camera Yasa had installed inside his car after a passenger tried to assault him a couple of years before. Based on the video evidence of what happened in his cab, Yasa was not charged.

But he worries about what might have happened to his job and his marriage without that evidence.

"What would she do?" Yasa said of his wife. "She would have probably told me, 'There's the door, and get out.'"

According to a police report filed on the incident, one of the young women contacted police the next morning to say they were very sorry for the trouble she and her friends caused and that they would not be pursuing any charges.

The constable collected the $13 fare from the girls to pass on to Yasa. He took the money but gave it back the next day, because he wanted police to pursue charges against the girls. That didn't happen, so he filed the lawsuit.

While Yasa filed the lawsuit last year, he said he is going public with his story now to make people aware of how vulnerable taxi drivers are while they are on the job.

None of the young women named in the lawsuit responded to attempts by CBC News to contact them on Thursday. On Friday, one of the lawyers for the women said his client would not be speaking to the media about the lawsuit.

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

there should be a video of them

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Good. I hope they get nailed to the wall, if his video supports the story. They cried wolf, and got caught.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

wow if thats the real story i hope the cabbie wins!

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 09:16 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by 7thgenvic
    there should be a video of them
    http://www.cbc.ca/clips/mov/fralick-2-cabbie090515.mov

My Ride
    02 RSX Type-s

I saw the video on the news the other day. The video does prove his side of the story, they got mad because he asked them not to smoke in his car.....
    Originally posted by DeeK
    Fat girls need love too, they just have to pay for it.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by nadroj23
    I saw the video on the news the other day. The video does prove his side of the story, they got mad because he asked them not to smoke in his car.....
    Yep exactly! I hope he wins too, stupid broads need to learn their lesson. I think in the same segment on the news they mentioned some junior high chick that falsely accused a guy of rape, and nothing happened to her afterwords, it's fuckin bullshit.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    02 RSX Type-s

Originally posted by msommers

Yep exactly! I hope he wins too, stupid broads need to learn their lesson. I think in the same segment on the news they mentioned some junior high chick that falsely accused a guy of rape, and nothing happened to her afterwords, it's fuckin bullshit.
    Ya I hope something get done about this, it is bulshit. I hope he wins and they have to pay up. Would teach a lesson to them and others thinking they can get away with calling rape when its a complete and utter fuckin lie.
    Originally posted by DeeK
    Fat girls need love too, they just have to pay for it.

The girls are real geniuses. So there's four of you grown women together in the cab with one cab driver?

If the cabbie accused THEM of rape I would believe it.

My Ride
    is Invisible

Such fucking bs!

Those snotty little brats need to be actually raped!

The girls will be out at least their legal fees, and probably an out-of-court settlement.

My Ride
    99 Civic SI

what complete broads

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

facebook pics?
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    impreza

Sluts. That is all.

usually I get mad when I see stupid lawsuits, but this one is totally legit, if he didnt have camera evidence maybe he would have been charged, cab drivers have to deal with stupid, drunk and hostile people all the time
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by tentacles
    The girls are real geniuses. So there's four of you grown women together in the cab with one cab driver?

If the cabbie accused THEM of rape I would believe it.
    That would be hilarious... however they didn't claim rape, they said sexual assault, big difference.

I usually get mad with frivolous litigation as well (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson_v._Chung) but this is legit and these bitches should be made an example of. I really hope he wins! Trying to ruin his life over nothing (putting your cigarette out), they need a cunt punt.
    Last edited by signature7; 05-22-2009 at 08:17 PM.
    Mr. Peanut (Niel): George... I win

Originally posted by BlackArcher101

That would be hilarious... however they didn't claim rape, they said sexual assault, big difference.
    agreed there is a difference but in the eyes of society, if he had been charged everyone would look at him in the same light as a rapist.
    Mr. Peanut (Niel): George... I win

My Ride
    W204

So why won't the cops charge the girls for making false allegations? Is it because their girls? Not enough evidence? They guy has video of the whole fucking thing!!!

The law has double standards and this kind of shit pisses me off.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast