Quantcast
Monkey Chin Ups? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Monkey Chin Ups?

Default Monkey Chin Ups?

Just curious but I am seeing more and more people do these absolutely bizarre swinging monkey chin ups... Now whenever I do my chin ups I slowly pull up and slowly go back down until I am nearly fully extended keeping my core tight. I don't swing and I don't sway.

So I am quite perplexed by people who seem to be swinging on purpose for their chin ups? What exactly is the point? Some of these guys are swinging up and down hard enough that I almost expect the rack to start lifting off on one edge... I can't make any sense of it and I am now seeing more and more people doing the exercise this way. Not just the guidoes but hell even some of the old gray folk are now swinging like monkeys.

So has the whole world gone mad or have I been living under a rock and doing the exercise the old school way?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Re: Monkey Chin Ups?

Originally posted by mazdavirgin
    Just curious but I am seeing more and more people do these absolutely bizarre swinging monkey chin ups... Now whenever I do my chin ups I slowly pull up and slowly go back down until I am nearly fully extended keeping my core tight. I don't swing and I don't sway.

So I am quite perplexed by people who seem to be swinging on purpose for their chin ups? What exactly is the point? Some of these guys are swinging up and down hard enough that I almost expect the rack to start lifting off on one edge... I can't make any sense of it and I am now seeing more and more people doing the exercise this way. Not just the guidoes but hell even some of the old gray folk are now swinging like monkeys.

So has the whole world gone mad or have I been living under a rock and doing the exercise the old school way?
    I believe it's part of a crossfit routine.

Default Re: Re: Monkey Chin Ups?

Originally posted by A790

I believe it's part of a crossfit routine.
    Looks like you are correct I even found a video in case anyone wonders what kind of crack I am smoking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAZaHzd6qAY

for people that cannot pull up their bodyweight...... and girls

slow and controlled > fast and jerky

if you have to jerk your body up like that just go back to the supported chin up machine until you're strong enough to do them properly.

My Ride
    MB C-Class, Honda CBR600RR

Originally posted by TurboD
    Not necessarily. Although doing 10 Kipping Pull-ups may be "easier" than doing 10 Traditional Pull-ups, the Kipping Pull-ups are used as a part of a larger exercise routine. The idea is that they are used between other exercises, and you would usually do more Kipping Pull-ups compared to traditional pull-ups. One of the main benefits is the maintenance of an elevated heart rate. Doing Kipping Pull-ups give you a different type of workout compared to Traditional Pull-ups for this reason.

In my opinion, neither is "better," they are just used for different purposes.

slow and controlled > fast and jerky

if you have to jerk your body up like that just go back to the supported chin up machine until you're strong enough to do them properly.
    different exercises for different goals, has nothing to do with weakness or girls
    heloc that shit

I've seen someone fly off the bar doing swinging pullups at the University gym. It was pretty funny.

Originally posted by lint

different exercises for different goals, has nothing to do with weakness or girls
    what is the goal of monkey pull ups?
    please share

increased heart rate? do 20 normal chin ups and tell me your heart is idle.

the goals are the same, the only difference is when you do monkey pull ups you are cheating by swinging and using technique to avoid having to use the entire muscle range to pull your body up.

its like doing situps with springs under your back and bouncing up rather than using your lack of muscle.

its like bouncing the bench press bar off your chest for a head start pushing it back up.

you are only using half your muscle range.

My Ride
    Random cars

please share

the goals are the same, the only difference is when you do monkey pull ups you are cheating by swinging and using technique to avoid having to use the entire muscle range to pull your body up.

its like doing situps with springs under your back and bouncing up rather than using your lack of muscle.

its like bouncing the bench press bar off your chest for a head start pushing it back up.

LOL - I love the cheating argument, it always comes up when debating the kipping pull-ups but I can see how it does come to mind when training in traditional methods.

The goal is increased power out-put. If you can do 20 pull-ps before fatigue in 30 seconds, you will be able to do more kipping pullups in the same time frame and develop great overall power output (ie: Work/Time). The development of increased power out-put has been found to deliver wide ranges of benefits - strength being one.

There are also other reasons this style of pull-up is somtimes used in Crossfit programming such as the development and recruitment of the entire posterior chain, which carries over to successful execution of many olympic lifts (clean, snatch etc.)

It's really about the difference between isolation movements and multi-joint 'functional' movements of which Crossfit programming is founded on.

As for your analogy of the springs on a sit-up - well, it might be close if the force in the spring was somehow generated by your body - or gravity.

You do know that this myth has been proven false.

please share

press, push press, jerk
    snatch, power snatch, muscle snatch
    clean, power clean
    deadlift, romanian deadlift, stiff leg deadlift, rack pull

should I go on?
    heloc that shit

show me a pro power lifter that trains using the monkey pull up method.

you will only find footage of half wit teenage bandwagon jumpers doing this

case closed

"press, push press, jerk
    snatch, power snatch, muscle snatch
    clean, power clean
    deadlift, romanian deadlift, stiff leg deadlift, rack pull"

i would only give these credibility if the person doing monkey pull up was doing them with 30% of their body weight or more strapped on while doing them.

ape pull ups, none of this bs monkey business

here is another thing, if your training to do a kip, DO A KIP, a pull up is a KIP FAIL

if you want to do a proper kip and want to truely train your upward momentum you should finish with the bar at your hips in support position.

that is the proper way and what the movement is aimed at doing.

if you kip to chin height you are failing.
    a kip is meant to provide more momentum than you could get by just pulling your body slowly, its meant to make it easier to go PAST chin height.

go watch a gymnastics session and see if the gymnast does a kip to chin height and then falls back down to a hang, NO, they kip to support and from support can move into hand stand or a cast.
    Last edited by TurboD; 05-26-2009 at 12:24 AM.

My Ride
    Subaru GR

bah, just copy this guy and you're good to go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDol_XooSJI
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

you will only find footage of half wit teenage bandwagon jumpers doing this

case closed

Not sure if you're heard of this half wit teenage bandwagon jumper by the name of Konstantin Konstantinov who deadlifts over 430kg

This next guy must be the biggest half wit on the planet! (examples at 2:17 and 2:23)

CASE FUCKING CLOSED!!
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Random cars

The only other post I will make on this subject:

The goals of a power lifter and a Crossfitter are not the same. Why would they train the same.

Originally posted by lint

Not sure if you're heard of this half wit teenage bandwagon jumper by the name of Konstantin Konstantinov who deadlifts over 430kg

CASE FUCKING CLOSED!!
    props for posting vids to back up your debate.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

props for posting vids to back up your debate.

props for getting your ass handed to you and congratulating your owner

Originally posted by CMW403

props for getting your ass handed to you and congratulating your owner
    props for trolling the boards and not inputting any information but instead just flaming for no reason.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Thought I'd post this up here, since that half wit teenage bandwagon jumper by the name of Konstantin Konstantinov doing monkey pull ups just broke the world RAW deadlift record (no belt)

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/11830

Deadlift

Squat

Bench
    heloc that shit

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast