Quantcast
Looking for a new phone - Looking for suggestions. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new phone - Looking for suggestions.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Default Looking for a new phone - Looking for suggestions.

I am going to get a hardware upgrade and was wondering what you guys would suggest getting. Doesn't matter what it is, Smart phone, or not.

I was looking into smart phones, and looking at an Iphone. I phoned in and I am able to get the 8gig Iphone for $150.

I don't really need a smart phone but I wouldn't mind having one. How does everyone find there battery life is on the Iphone/compared to how much you use it?

Just looking for suggestions on what would be a decent phone to get.

My Ride
    AWOL

Work? Personal? Stylish bling bling? Size preference?

Personally, I love my BB Curve for work, and my ancient Moto L6 candybar for going out because it's so small.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

In all honesty, the iPhone is the best phone around right now. Everyone says they don't need a smart phone until they get one, then suddenly they don't know what they'd do without the built-in GPS, thousands of applications that make life easier (White/Yellow Pages, OpenTable, Shazam, etc.).

Just get it, you'll love it.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Originally posted by Grogador
    Work? Personal? Stylish bling bling? Size preference?

Personally, I love my BB Curve for work, and my ancient Moto L6 candybar for going out because it's so small.
    I've had slide/flip phones always, so nothing too big. It's just a personal phone, not needed for work.

I was looking at the LG Xenon as well.

A790 - I think I am going for the Iphone, just wondering what else was worth looking at.

My Ride
    TypeR

i was in the same situation 2 weeks ago, i was so close to buying a BB. Last second i grabbed a iphone and never looked back. The plans they have are not to steep and im so glad i got this phone. i dont even know why i even considered anything else after getting this because the apps alone are worth it

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I love my iphone. I bought it primarily for the music functionality (hooks up to my car thru 1 simple plug to get all my music and album art on my deck), but I've used all the addons extensively.

I've been out of the country for 3 weeks now, and always know exactly where I am and how to get somewhere. The maps functionality is fucking awesome! It's pretty useless in Calgary, but when you're travelling, I would never leave without it.

In Barcelona, I was told to meet up with a friend at a restaurant. I searched for that location, maps showed where it was, I verified it with Streetview to ensure that was the restaurant she was talking about, then it plotted a course by bus/metro to where it was and the directions were perfect, including where to change trains. It works in India too, full road maps with satellite view, but no streetview or bus directions (not that you wanna take a bus in india haha).

The apps... currency exchange is awesome. Auto updates with the latest rates, and I always know how much shit costs. And of course, the browser lets me keep in touch with beyond haha.

I got my facebook, world clock, weather for everywhere I'm at, absolutely awesome. I'm a work junkie, so even while travelling, my work outlook is sync'd on my iphone (via imap) so I can keep in touch with the office anytime.

I know some ppl have had problems with battery life on the iphone, but I charge mine nightly and it lasts even during a 15 hour day where I'm on the phone quite a bit. It's not like other GSM phones where you can go days without a charge, you have to charge it nightly. Well I do, with the amount of usage my iphone gets.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Has wheels

I had myself pretty well sold on the Iphone before posting this thread, looks like I am really sold now

How is the battery life on the Iphone? Is it worth the extra $100 for the 16gig? I do plan on using it as an ipod too.

My Ride
    00 Honda CR-V, 02 IS300

I've just recently replaced my iPhone with an unlocked HTC Dream/G1 (Google Phone). And it doesn't look like I will go back. Its does everything right now that the iPhone was supposed to be able to do, eg: cut/paste, push email, open source OS (Android). Having both a touchscreen, and physical keyboard are what sold me, so if I want, I can type the message on screen if its something quick, or I can slide it open if I need the keyboard.

I would wait a few weeks as Rogers is releasing it here on June 2nd. Or wait a few more weeks longer to see if the iPhone 3.0 software fixes the iPhone, and to see what new iPhone is coming.

I still have my iPhone, I won't pass judgement on it until 3.0 comes out, but if you were to ask me at this very moment... my iPhone is sitting on my desk collecting dust.

My Ride
    07' Balt SS

I had an iPhone for about for month. It was a good multimedia app and iPod, a terrible phone. I traded it off for a Blackberry bold and have never looked back. I love my bold.

Originally posted by rage2
    I love my iphone. I bought it primarily for the music functionality (hooks up to my car thru 1 simple plug to get all my music and album art on my deck), but I've used all the addons extensively.

I've been out of the country for 3 weeks now, and always know exactly where I am and how to get somewhere. The maps functionality is fucking awesome! It's pretty useless in Calgary, but when you're travelling, I would never leave without it.

In Barcelona, I was told to meet up with a friend at a restaurant. I searched for that location, maps showed where it was, I verified it with Streetview to ensure that was the restaurant she was talking about, then it plotted a course by bus/metro to where it was and the directions were perfect, including where to change trains. It works in India too, full road maps with satellite view, but no streetview or bus directions (not that you wanna take a bus in india haha).

The apps... currency exchange is awesome. Auto updates with the latest rates, and I always know how much shit costs. And of course, the browser lets me keep in touch with beyond haha.

I got my facebook, world clock, weather for everywhere I'm at, absolutely awesome. I'm a work junkie, so even while travelling, my work outlook is sync'd on my iphone (via imap) so I can keep in touch with the office anytime.

I know some ppl have had problems with battery life on the iphone, but I charge mine nightly and it lasts even during a 15 hour day where I'm on the phone quite a bit. It's not like other GSM phones where you can go days without a charge, you have to charge it nightly. Well I do, with the amount of usage my iphone gets.
    What do you pay for international data roaming?

Originally posted by Carl64
    I had an iPhone for about for month. It was a good multimedia app and iPod, a terrible phone.
    How so? Give real details.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by CivicDXR
    Its does everything right now that the iPhone was supposed to be able to do, eg: cut/paste, push email, open source OS (Android).
    I would wait a few weeks as Rogers is releasing it here on June 2nd. Or wait a few more weeks longer to see if the iPhone 3.0 software fixes the iPhone, and to see what new iPhone is coming.
    Yea, 3.0 is supposed to have cut and paste, push email, horizontal for txt and emails, basically everything everyone's complained about. There's only been a few times where I wished I had cut and paste hehe.

I had an iPhone for about for month. It was a good multimedia app and iPod, a terrible phone. I traded it off for a Blackberry bold and have never looked back. I love my bold.
    I'm not a big fan of it as a phone due to it's size, you look kinda silly holding this huge thing to your ear. I'm used to small phones. However, everything else about the iphone makes up for it. You'd run into that problem with any other smartphone anyways.

Originally posted by sputnik
    What do you pay for international data roaming?
    Nothing. My iphone's unlocked (thanks Fuji), and I have a sim card for every country I'm in. Planned ahead hehe. My cell # forwards to an office virtual, which forwards the calls automatically to wherever I am, so I'm (well, the company) is paying landline LD fees for all my calls.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    07' Balt SS

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

How so? Give real details.
    It just felt less polished then the Blackberry. For example I love being able to home screen dial (ie press "k" and it brings up all contact listings with the letter K in them, right from the home screen). I hated texting on the thing, auto-correct drove me up the ducking wall, and just didn't like the feel of the touch keyboard.

I want my phone to be a phone first, a multimedia device second. The iPhone is the other way around. I found that once the novelty of the phone wore off, it was more of a toy then anything. The iPhone also has no MMS, no removable battery, no expandable memory, and no A2DP support(a must for me now).

I must, however, say the iPhone kicks ass for browsing and playing games in class, but an iTouch works just as well.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I hated texting on the thing, auto-correct drove me up the ducking wall, and just didn't like the feel of the touch keyboard.
    Nice

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

Not released get but the Sony Ericsson Idou....wow.

Prob gonna cost mad money, but I'll dream about it being my next phone currently using the iphone and i love it, can't use anything else anymore.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13970_7-10166533-78.html

My Ride
    07' Balt SS

Originally posted by A790

Nice
    I figured an iPhone user would catch that lol.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It just felt less polished then the Blackberry. For example I love being able to home screen dial (ie press "k" and it brings up all contact listings with the letter K in them, right from the home screen). I hated texting on the thing, auto-correct drove me up the ducking wall, and just didn't like the feel of the touch keyboard.

I want my phone to be a phone first, a multimedia device second. The iPhone is the other way around. I found that once the novelty of the phone wore off, it was more of a toy then anything. The iPhone also has no MMS, no removable battery, no expandable memory, and no A2DP support(a must for me now).

I must, however, say the iPhone kicks ass for browsing and playing games in class, but an iTouch works just as well.
    haha i haven't figured out how to "add" to the dictionary, but my fucking doesn't autocorrect to ducking anymore. In fact, by the time I type fucki it suggests fucking. I guess I just type that a fucking lot lol.

But ya, iPhone is definately a multimedia device first and a phone second. It's almost like they took the iTouch, and crammed in phone functionality. For me, it's something that I can live with, seeing as I use the multimedia functionality 80% of the time, and the phone 20% of the time.

I used to haul around my iTouch and a cell phone, with a 3G router and service in my car to get network access on my iTouch. So not worth it haha.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Interesting... words are added if you search for them in the google text entry in Safari.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...-new-words.ars

Learn something new everyday .

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

If you could I would suggest holding out for like 2 more weeks. Rogers is going to launch the HTC Dream and HTC Magic on June 2. Android is worth a look.

Apple is having their World Wide Developers Confrence (WWDC) Key Note on June 8th. Where they annouced the iPhone 3G last year, and possibly a new iPhone hardware revision this year. I've been hearing they will drop the 8gb model. Add a 32gb. But the pricing will stay the same. So it will be like:

16gb $199 32gb $299.

I have also heard Rogers might be bringing back their $30/6gb data plan.

I dont know how you feel about switch providers, but Bell is supposed to be launching the Palm Pre sometime this summer. Its pretty slick.

Tons of options out there. Palm Pre, new iPhone, a ton of new BlackBerry's including the Storm 2 (No more Sure Press), BlackBerry Onyx (Sort of like a Bold), BlackBerry 8520 (optical track pad).

Just hold out a couple of weeks, Apple will have shown off what they have. The reviews of the Palm Pre will be in. The Android handsets on Rogers will have launched.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The next iphone will be 16 and 32g, have a built in compass, and a 3.5mpixel camera. That's pretty much solid info based on the beta firmware that's out.

What's rumored is that it'll have a OLED screen, which should help extend battery life by 1.5x. Otherwise, it should be the same, with all the new functionality available on the old iPhone 3G via v3.0 firmware.

If you're doing any sort of travelling, don't go with Bell or Telus, or expect to get raped on roaming fees. Being able to live on different SIM cards is such a huge convienence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast