Quantcast
laptop to LCD tv issues - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: laptop to LCD tv issues

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default laptop to LCD tv issues

Alright, using a new last year laptop, and trying to connect to my 52" LCD 1080p 120hz tv.

My issue is that when I do connect, my display adapters won't let me fill the LCD screen, and what does show on there, is off color, everything has a pretty bad green hue to it.

this happens no matter if I use the S-video out to a component into the tv, straight s-video, or if i use a VGA connection.

does not seem to be any settings that I can find to change things up, was hoping someone could offer up some ideas.

i guess for referance i am using a Compaq Presario A900 and the tv is a Toshiba 52XV545U

thanks guys
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Axis powers

things to check
    default resolution of the screen, can you stretch the image to make it fit
    try the laptop with another screen
    try the tv with another computer
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Most HDTV's don't support SVGA resolutions, which is why you're having the problem. I've only seen a handful of HDTV's (mostly larger monitors that double as TVs) that can do it properly.

Really, your laptop needs to support 1920x1080 or 1280x720 to get it fit right, and even then, you'll get overscan issues, unless your TV can map 1:1.

For my media center, I specifically went for a HDMI video card that can do 1920x1080 60hz to make it work properly on any HDTV.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

I have the exact same TV. Initially I was using a S-Video cable which was great for a couple weeks, then everything turned B&W. Switched over to a VGA cable and its crystal clear.

I had similar issues to yours. What you might want to try is to switch your display (on the laptop) from 'Dual Screen' or 'Clone' to 'Single' display and pick 'Analog'. Make sure your tv input is on 'PC' (9, i believe) before you try this, as my laptop only allows a 10 second window to accept changes to an external monitor.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by rage2
    Most HDTV's don't support SVGA resolutions, which is why you're having the problem. I've only seen a handful of HDTV's (mostly larger monitors that double as TVs) that can do it properly.

Really, your laptop needs to support 1920x1080 or 1280x720 to get it fit right, and even then, you'll get overscan issues, unless your TV can map 1:1.

For my media center, I specifically went for a HDMI video card that can do 1920x1080 60hz to make it work properly on any HDTV.
    Thanks rage, do you happen to know the model number of your vid card? I am debating just building a PC dedicated to being a media center.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Godfuader
    I have the exact same TV. Initially I was using a S-Video cable which was great for a couple weeks, then everything turned B&W. Switched over to a VGA cable and its crystal clear.

I had similar issues to yours. What you might want to try is to switch your display (on the laptop) from 'Dual Screen' or 'Clone' to 'Single' display and pick 'Analog'. Make sure your tv input is on 'PC' (9, i believe) before you try this, as my laptop only allows a 10 second window to accept changes to an external monitor.
    thanks man, I will give that a try tonight and see what happens.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Any video card with an HDMI port will be able to output HDMI 1080i/p and 720p resolutions.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name