Quantcast
Rotten Egg Smell Exhaust - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rotten Egg Smell Exhaust

Originally posted by Davan
    It used to be I'd mostly notice it just after some spirited driving... but lately it's pretty much anytime... at random. But quite often.
    It should make that smell after you run it hard. That's when I started to notice the smell.
    I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do!

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

Originally posted by Davan
    Hmmm... two conflicting opinions...
    My bad. I wrote this withought much thinking. Sounds like your cat is very effcient / not clogged up.

This is how I understand how the convertor works.

When the car is running lean the Catalyst among other things would build up of SO2 (Sulfur Dioxide) or SO3 Sulfur Trioxide. (more air than is needed to burn fuel ~ inbetween spirited driving).

As it builds up sulfates the moment your car is running rich (more fuel than air) -such as slowing down; the sulfates become unstable and react to form hydrogen sulfide - which gives you the ugly smell. Which is suppose to mean your cat is doing it's job.

Then again I never really paid attention to Chemistry class either.

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

This can sometimes happen when trace elements of sulphur in petrol form minute quantities of hydrogen sulphide on the catalyst. This generally only occurs when there is a rapid change of engine speed and load. It is a phenomena of new units and should reduce with age.
    http://www.saf.abelgratis.co.uk/cats/faq.htm

My Ride
    08 BMW 328i, 03 Turbo SVT Focus

Okay... so behind all the nasty chem stuff (which would actually make sense if I wasn't up at 4 this morning... ) .... this means the root of the problem is an air/fuel management issue?

My Ride
    08 BMW 328i, 03 Turbo SVT Focus

Why do cat emissions sometimes smell of rotten eggs ?

This can sometimes happen when trace elements of sulphur in petrol form minute quantities of hydrogen sulphide on the catalyst. This generally only occurs when there is a rapid change of engine speed and load. It is a phenomena of new units and should reduce with age.
    So my car is almost 2 years old (this november). Maybe the thing was just plain defective from the factory?

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

If your getting that sulphur smell all the time, your cat is on the way out. If it only happens occasonally it isn't anything to really worry about, most newer cats do that sometimes.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by GP_DrIvEr
    i just got this thing installed on my car today called Genx2, to make a long story short a buddies dad developed it and sells it... it heats up the fuel before it goes into combustion.... in the end it leaves you burning cleaner, more efficient, and gives you that extra boost....
    I'm not an expert in this area, but I've done some research on fuel temperatures, combustion temperatures, etc.

Cat converters need a lot of heat to start working properly... that's why on modern cars a set of "startup cats" sit really close to the exhaust headers to minimize heat loss and to clean up the exhaust at startup (exhaust is most "dirty" when engine/cats are cold).

Heating up the fuel would probably help startup emissions by raising exhaust gas temperatures, but that's about it. It's not the smartest thing to do, it increases EGT's which can lead to burnt valves. Fuel also acts as a coolant to supress detonation on high performance engines, increasing fuel temps is the same effect as using lower octane fuel. As for "more power", it doesn't matter what the temps are, there's going to be the same amount of air and fuel, so power should stay the same (unless of course detonation occurs because of higher fuel temps).

Now, I'm not sure how much EGT's increase with this product, but it's probably so small that it doesn't make any difference in EGT's to affect anything that I've mentioned... meaning it doesn't do anything =).
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '15 GTI

Originally posted by rage2

I'm not an expert in this area, but I've done some research on fuel temperatures, combustion temperatures, etc.

Cat converters need a lot of heat to start working properly... that's why on modern cars a set of "startup cats" sit really close to the exhaust headers to minimize heat loss and to clean up the exhaust at startup (exhaust is most "dirty" when engine/cats are cold).

Heating up the fuel would probably help startup emissions by raising exhaust gas temperatures, but that's about it. It's not the smartest thing to do, it increases EGT's which can lead to burnt valves. Fuel also acts as a coolant to supress detonation on high performance engines, increasing fuel temps is the same effect as using lower octane fuel. As for "more power", it doesn't matter what the temps are, there's going to be the same amount of air and fuel, so power should stay the same (unless of course detonation occurs because of higher fuel temps).

Now, I'm not sure how much EGT's increase with this product, but it's probably so small that it doesn't make any difference in EGT's to affect anything that I've mentioned... meaning it doesn't do anything =).
    heh wow what a complicated way to say...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2