Quantcast
Rotten Egg Smell Exhaust - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rotten Egg Smell Exhaust

My Ride
    08 BMW 328i, 03 Turbo SVT Focus

Default Rotten Egg Smell Exhaust

My car has always (every now and then) had exhaust smelling like rotten eggs.

But recently it's been getting more and more frequent, and is actually quite embarrassing.

Just wondering what I can do about this? I took the car to the dealership a while ago about it, and all they could say was try different gas. Well, I've tried a few tanks of about every major gas company, and a few tanks of different octanes as well, no difference.

I saw JC Whitney sells catalytic converter cleaner, but I can't find any in town... what do you think about that stuff? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

The rotten egg smell is just the initial burn in of the catalytic converter. Every car made with a catalytic converter will have this smell when it is young.

I also heard the smell occurs when the cat or exhaust gases aren't hot enough which causes the process to be incomplete.

Sit it out?
    I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do!

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

Any emissions is warrantied for 7 years (I think).

The smell is most likley the catalytic converter failing.

My Ride
    '99 Volkswagen GTI

davan: if your willing to spend some money you can lose that egg smelling exhaust, gain HP, and increase gas mileage

i just got this thing installed on my car today called Genx2, to make a long story short a buddies dad developed it and sells it... it heats up the fuel before it goes into combustion.... in the end it leaves you burning cleaner, more efficient, and gives you that extra boost....

all i can say is i got it put on this morning, as soon as i started it up i was idling around 150-250 rpm lower, revved it up a couple times and carbon deposits and moisture were coming out of the exhaust (cleaning it out) and by the time i got hime i could also feel the HP differences

oh and by the way my exhaust now smells like soap or bleach... has a very clean smell too it...
    R.I.P. 1998 Grand Prix Aug. 31 2003

'99 VW GTI in the works

My Ride

Hmmm... two conflicting opinions...

Thing is... the smell was occassionally noticeable during the first summer I had the car (car was about 6 months old). Now, the car is almost 2 years old, and it's still doing it. Worse though...

My Ride

Originally posted by GP_DrIvEr
    davan: if your willing to spend some money you can lose that egg smelling exhaust, gain HP, and increase gas mileage

i just got this thing installed on my car today called Genx2, to make a long story short a buddies dad developed it and sells it... it heats up the fuel before it goes into combustion.... in the end it leaves you burning cleaner, more efficient, and gives you that extra boost....

all i can say is i got it put on this morning, as soon as i started it up i was idling around 150-250 rpm lower, revved it up a couple times and carbon deposits and moisture were coming out of the exhaust (cleaning it out) and by the time i got hime i could also feel the HP differences

oh and by the way my exhaust now smells like soap or bleach... has a very clean smell too it...
    PM me more info... I'm looking to sell the car next summer, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it... but if the price is right...

My Ride
    '99 Volkswagen GTI

yeah seriously, if you have an extra couple hundred $$$ i would consider buying this thing...

i garuntee your exhaust wont smell like egg after this thing is on your car

you have a new pm

'99 VW GTI in the works

i'd like some snake oil also please

My Ride
    O.P.P.

it heats up the fuel before it goes into combustion
    Iv'e always heard that the colder the fuel is, the more power you get from combustion I also read in a mag a few years back in an article entitled "Low-Buck Tech tips" that keeping heat away from your fuel lines will keep your fuel nice and cool which allows for a better burn....

My Ride
    '99 Volkswagen GTI

i dont know man but i can say it is working on my car...

my friends dad that created these things is hitting it big in cali and in japan because it burns fuel better and makes cleaner emmisions, and because there are so many cars in both of these places....

when i was getting it installed today he said he had ralph klein interested in his product because of this kyoto accord thing

'99 VW GTI in the works

"About GenX2: GenX2 is a simple retrofit fuel saving device designed for both gasoline and diesel powered engines. It uses a combination of electro-magnetics, signal pulse and ionization processes to re-align fuel molecules whereby oxidation or the burn occurs at higher temperatures increasing engine work and efficiency. The process is simple, effective and provides a permanent solution, saving fuel and reducing harmful emissions. Ionizing of fuel is achieved by utilizing a magnetic field and a signal pulse. The molecular changes result in improved combustion and reduced fuel consumption."

Funny how anything I find about it is sales literature by the holding company that owns it. I wouldn't trust a company called "Golden Fortune Investments" either.

My Ride
    '99 Volkswagen GTI

Originally posted by bol

I wouldn't trust a company called "Golden Fortune Investments" either.
    hey laugh all you want but it works man

it is made for gas mileage and cleaner emmisions, the added HP is just a bonus

My Ride
    '15 GTI

heating fuel...last time i checked it was a good idea to keep jerry cans away from heat, do you sell those electronic superchargers and the tornado as well?

My Ride
    O.P.P.

Originally posted by three.eighteen.
    heating fuel...last time i checked it was a good idea to keep jerry cans away from heat, do you sell those electronic superchargers and the tornado as well?
    I think so....

Default Re: Rotten Egg Smell Exhaust

Originally posted by Davan
    My car has always (every now and then) had exhaust smelling like rotten eggs.

But recently it's been getting more and more frequent, and is actually quite embarrassing.

Just wondering what I can do about this? I took the car to the dealership a while ago about it, and all they could say was try different gas. Well, I've tried a few tanks of about every major gas company, and a few tanks of different octanes as well, no difference.

I saw JC Whitney sells catalytic converter cleaner, but I can't find any in town... what do you think about that stuff? Any other ideas?

Thanks!
    If youre engine is burning your fuel at a hot enough tempature then you dont get a complete reaction and end up with a sulpher bi-product. At least thats how i understand it.

I'm sure theres some chem expert who can explain it better.
    Last edited by jonny; 08-19-2002 at 07:47 PM.

i dont know man but i can say it is working on my car...

my friends dad that created these things is hitting it big in cali and in japan because it burns fuel better and makes cleaner emmisions, and because there are so many cars in both of these places....

when i was getting it installed today he said he had ralph klein interested in his product because of this kyoto accord thing
    Is this company on the Stock Exchange? If so, what is the symbol.
    I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do!

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Rotten Egg Smell Exhaust

Originally posted by jonny

If youre engine is burning your fuel at a hot enough tempature then you dont get a complete reaction and end up with a sulpher bi-product. At least thats how i understand it.

I'm sure theres some chem expert who can explain it better.
    This sounds like something I've read about before...

So can anyone explain to me how to fix this little issue?

My Ride
    O.P.P.

Default Re: Re: Re: Rotten Egg Smell Exhaust

Originally posted by Davan
    So can anyone explain to me how to fix this little issue?
    Does it smell like this when the engine's revving high, or is it constant?

My Ride

It used to be I'd mostly notice it just after some spirited driving... but lately it's pretty much anytime... at random. But quite often.

My Ride
    O.P.P.

If there has been a noticeable loss of power too, could be a plugged cat, or maybe you just need a new one, period... Other than that, I'd take it to an exh. shop to diagnose it properly. They SHOULDN'T charge you to take a look at it/give you a diagnosis. I've always taken my exh. work to Carline in behind Pacific Place...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast