Quantcast
European-style Rally Cross Comes To The Usa! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: European-style Rally Cross Comes To The Usa!

My Ride
    Renault Laguna!

Default European-style Rally Cross Comes To The Usa!

JUST HAD THIS SENT TO ME!

This is an open invitation to join us at New Jersey Motorsports Park as Rally America brings European-style rally cross to the USA. This invitation is not only extended to the rally community, but anyone who would like to participate in this exciting sport.

This information is intended to assist potential competitors in preparation for the rally cross events this fall. This information letter is not a rulebook but is accurate to the best of our knowledge as of March 4, 2010 and is subject to change at any time.

New Jersey Motorsports Park, Millville, New Jersey
    http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/

DATES

August 27-29, 2010
    October 1-3, 2010
    November 5-7, 2010

TICKET SALES

General admission tickets are $15 for Saturday, $25 for Sunday, $35 for both days. Buy online today! http://store.njmp.com/store/category/9/157/

FULL DETAILS

Get all available information regarding classes, competition format, prizes etc.

PDF DOWNLOAD

-------------------------------------------------

Eligibility:

Any driver in good standing holding an unrestricted Rally America National or Regional License may enter 2WD national or 4WD national event. Novice drivers are subject to approval by Rally America on a case-by-case basis. Licenses may be purchased from the Rally America office. The cost of a regional license $100, national $200.

Weekend Schedule of Events:

The number of entries will determine the schedule of events. Friday afternoon / evening will be load-in, registration, and scrutineering. Saturday will be practice and qualifying, and, possibly, the first round of heat races. Heat races and D, C, B, and A main events will take place Sunday.

Competition Format:

Practice: 3 laps per session, at least one session.
    Qualifying: 3 laps, the fastest lap will determine heat race grouping.

Heat races: 3 heat races of 4 laps for each competitor, each grouped by qualifying time; 5 slowest in the first heat, followed by the next five slowest, until there are less than ten cars left, which are split evenly for the last 2 heat races. Drivers are assigned points based on their time for the completed race in a heat (not finishing position). The fastest driver receives 1 point, next fastest 2 points, etc. A DNF receives 80 points, DNS 85 points, and DSQ (black flagged) receives 95 points.

The sum of the driver's two best (numerically lowest) scores will determine their placing in the main events.

Main events: The 20 drivers with the lowest scores advance to the 5-lap main events, with 1-5 in the A main, 6-10 in the B main, 11-14 in the C main, and 15-20 in the D main. The top 2 finishers from the D main advance to the C main, the winner of the C main advances to the B main, and the B main winner advances to the A main.

Course:
    Approximately 1.3 miles per lap from standing start to flying finish, 70% tarmac 30% sand. 1 jump.

Start Line:
    Tarmac
    Heat races will start 5 abreast.
    Main races will have a staggered 2-2-2 start.

Joker:
    There will be an alternate element adding approximately 2 seconds to a given lap time (“joker”), which may be taken on any competition lap, but must be taken only once per heat race or main event. The joker will not be used during qualifying, but may be used during practice.

Timing / Scoring:
    Transponders will be used for timing and scoring and will be required. Transponders will be available for rent or purchase. Any compatible transponders may be used from any source. Teams are encouraged to provide their own transponder. All transponders will be tested at scrutineering.

Rough Driving:
    Some contact is inevitable in wheel-to-wheel racing, but rough or bad driving will not be tolerated, and result in a black flag (DSQ) for that heat or race, or disqualification from the event. The judge's decisions are final; there is no provision for protests or appeals. Drivers who are consistently rough or deemed to be unqualified may not be permitted to enter future events solely at Rally America's discretion.

Car Classes:
    There will be 2WD national and 4WD national classes. There may be additional classes, events, or races added as part of the rally cross weekend. Except where noted, normal Rally America technical rules apply.

--------------------------------------------------

Changes from Rally America technical rules:

Catalytic converters are not required.

Water spray is prohibited.

Sound check / noise limits may be required by local ordinance.
    Although there will be no co-drivers in the event, 4WD must be equipped with approved co-driver seating and restraints at all times during the event for media use. (Recommended for 2WD)

Vehicles are not required to be licensed or insured.

All lamps may be removed.

Contoured covers resembling lamps must be used when lamps are removed.

If tail lamps are removed, 2 working brake lamps must be installed in the rear window area.

No other lamps are required to function.

Polycarbonate windshields may be used in place of OE safety glass.

Not required:
    First Aid Kits
    Triangles
    Tow Ropes
    Spill Kits
    In-vehicle spare tire(s)

Hand held fire extinguishers are not required if the vehicle is equipped with an FIA or SFI approved on board fire extinguisher system.

The complete wheel and tire assembly must fit in a 10" wide "U" shaped gauge. (measuring the inflated but unloaded width of the tire and wheel assembly)

There may be a spec tire, or a limited list of eligible tires in the 4WD National class.

Maximum wheel diameter is 18"

Roll cages complying to SCCA GCR appendix G for SS, IT, T, and AS cars are allowed.

4WD National:
    For models sold in the USA as 4WD vehicles and using their original driveline configuration:
    Max. displacement 2,700 cc w/forced induction
    Max. displacement 5,100 cc normally aspirated
    45 mm restrictor w/forced induction
    Forced induction minimum weight 3,000lbs with driver and all safety gear
    Normally aspirated minimum weight 2,600lbs with driver and all safety gear
    Active center diff is allowed.
    Water (only) injection is allowed.

For models not sold in the USA as a 4WD vehicle:
    Max. displacement 2,058 cc w/forced induction
    Max. displacement 4,000 cc normally aspirated
    45 mm restrictor w/forced induction
    Forced induction minimum weight 3,000lbs with driver and all safety gear
    Normally aspirated minimum weight 2,600lbs with driver and all safety gear
    At least 50% of the engine block must be ahead of the front wheels' center-line.
    Active diffs are prohibited.

Variable valve timing is prohibited.

Water (or methanol) injection is prohibited.

Note: For 4WD, 45 mm restrictor is not required when the compressor inlet is smaller than 45 mm in diameter.

2WD National:
    Any Rally America-eligible 2WD vehicle.

Per New Jersey state law 13:62-3.6, Snell SA 2000 or newer full-face helmets with face shields must be used. Open face and typical British Standard (e.g., Peltor) rally helmets may not be used!

Entry Fees for August event:
    Early entry fee (before July 9, 4:00 PM CDT):
    2WD National = $100
    4WD National = $200
    Regular entry fee (July 10 - August 13, 4:00 PM CDT):
    2WD National = $200
    4WD National = $400
    Late entry fee (August 14 to event):
    2WD National = $400
    4WD National = $600
    CASH ONLY AT EVENT

Note: Rally America may limit (stop accepting) entries prior to the event. The entry limit will be announced soon; at this time we anticipate the entry limit to be 80 cars.

Pit Passes:
    All participants / team members, including drivers = $30 per person

A Main Prize Fund:
    2WD National = $1,000 minimum
    4WD National = $2,500 minimum
    May, and likely will increase / expand based on entry levels and ticket sales.

Tickets:
    General admission tickets are $15 for Saturday, $25 for Sunday, and $35 for both days. Tickets may be purchased from at : http://store.njmp.com/store/category/9/157/

Questions about this and other Rally America events may be directed to: [email protected].

Best Regards,
    Mike Hurst

Competition Director
    Rally America

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Doesn't seem like this helps many of us... As this forum is based in Western CANADA.

Good to see it jump the pond though.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by DJ Lazy
    Doesn't seem like this helps many of us... As this forum is based in Western CANADA.

Why? I know of several ppl who will probably consider driving down to compete. I know of several other ppl to drive to the USA regularly each year to compete in national auto-x events. I can't wait to see some of the videos of the future events.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by DJ Lazy

While Beyond may not be the absolute best forum, it helps spread the word. While I don't believe many from CSCC (if any) have plans to compete, this is quite the way to get direct exposure for your sponsors that normal rallying in North America does not always generate. Considering our rally team has towed over 6 times to Ontario and back (more like 8 with another 3 coming up this year), its not that far of a stretch.

Frig, I'm thinking about flying down to spectate!

My Ride
    Renault Laguna!

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

While Beyond may not be the absolute best forum, it helps spread the word. While I don't believe many from CSCC (if any) have plans to compete, this is quite the way to get direct exposure for your sponsors that normal rallying in North America does not always generate. Considering our rally team has towed over 6 times to Ontario and back (more like 8 with another 3 coming up this year), its not that far of a stretch.

Frig, I'm thinking about flying down to spectate!
    I can appreciate that it may not figure in the far out reaches but the Idea is just to Inform others of the upcoming event! Who knows this could well develop into a full blown World or Global Championship although remains to be seen,but no doubt there will be some Media coverage of the events that could just be enough for teams privatters to take a look and compete....

We need a NA race, WRC you hearing me?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by HondaKid
    We need a NA race, WRC you hearing me?
    There was one in the works for Quebec for a while, but funding by the gubiment got pulled (among other things from what I understand).

If people want high profile events like the WRC to come to Canada or the USA, they need to show up, spectate, show their enthusiasm, and let the WRC know.

A good way to do that would be to spectate at the next national event in Canada, the Rocky Mountain Rally on May 28th/29th

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

There was one in the works for Quebec for a while, but funding by the gubiment got pulled (among other things from what I understand).

If people want high profile events like the WRC to come to Canada or the USA, they need to show up, spectate, show their enthusiasm, and let the WRC know.

A good way to do that would be to spectate at the next national event in Canada, the Rocky Mountain Rally on May 28th/29th
    I think I talked to you today dude, are you the yellow/black Talon??

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by CUG
    I think I talked to you today dude, are you the yellow/black Talon??
    Nope, thats Mark. I was/usually am the co-driver for car #6 (Hardy Schmidtke/Adam Vokes). I replied to your PM, and I'm pretty sure we chatted at one point

Will look into checking out the local rally.