Quantcast
Who here have a plasma for TV... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here have a plasma for TV...

Default Who here has a plasma for a TV...

This is for plasma users/owners ONLY:

I just want to know how long have you had your plasma before it needed repair/replacement. This is just a survey cause I'm thinking of getting one.

edit: please tell me the brand & model
    Last edited by radioactivesago; 06-01-2009 at 08:30 PM.

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

have had mine for 3 years with no issues...

Pioneer 6010 HD. Had it for over year 1/2 i think. No problems what so ever.

Also had the Pioneer 5080 and gave it to my dad. He still uses it and loves it. Had that for almost 3 years and no problems..

Both with no Burn-In issues...

both going strong..

Love the pioneer KURO's...

My Ride
    07' Balt SS

The one im watching right now we've had for 3 years, and the one upstairs we've had for two years. No problems with either, and both have amazing pictures(way better then LCD IMO).

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Uh ya, how about something a little more scientific?

Which make?
    Which model?
    What year?
    How many hours used?
    How many times turned on/off?
    How many Wii remotes tossed at screen?

I think youre better off Googling something liek this.

Fuck off troll

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Who here have a plasma for TV?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I have a plasma. Had it for about 3-4 years, and it was about a year old when I bought it used. Panasonic.

No signs at all of failing. I believe the actual matrix itself lasts almost indefinately - it's usually the other internals that go first...

Originally posted by Benny
    Who here have a plasma for TV?

Please don't share personal pictures.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

I've had a Samsung 94 series since September 2005 and it's been great. I had a problem with a lot of pink pixels appearing at certain times, but that was within the first year and after it was fixed under warranty I haven't had any problems since.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    FZ6, Ford Raptor, Audi A3 Sport Comp.

I have had a Samsung PN50B550 50 inch plasma for a little over a year now, and while the colour is excellent I still without question prefer my Sony Z-series 46 inch LCD.

The Samsung has given me absolutely no issues, but the LCD screens with 120hz refresh rates definitely make up the gap when it comes to reproducing motion. They also use less power and tend to be brighter. Because I pretty much only watch hockey and family guy (I refuse to become an adult) I far prefer the vivid colours that the LCD can generate even if they are a tiny bit less precise.

However like I said the plasma is still a gorgeous TV and I wouldn't ever warn anyone away from a GOOD plasma. The cheaper ones tend to look a bit muddy. Any way you cut it the life expectancy of the television is far longer than you are going to want to keep it anyways.

edit* All HDTVs look like shit when watching standard def TV. If like me you have Shaw, consider moving to Bell or some other satellite provider because Shaw HD selection is really lacking.
    Last edited by Q-TIP; 05-28-2009 at 08:28 AM.

We have 2 Panasonic plasmas, one 3 years old (720p) and one newer one (1080p). Zero problems with either. I think their brightness half lives are 80,000 hours so no worries there (You would have to leave your TV on 24 hr a day for over 9 years to get to the half life).

If you watch SDTV, it looks considerably better on plasma than LCD (neither look great though). If your room is bright or you have lights shining on where the TV will be, you may want to consider a LCD because they don't use glass on the front. If you are picky about picture quality, plasma is the way to go.

Originally posted by Q-TIP
    I have had a Samsung PN50B550 50 inch plasma for a little over a year now, and while the colour is excellent I still without question prefer my Sony Z-series 46 inch LCD.

The Samsung has given me absolutely no issues, but the LCD screens with 120hz refresh rates definitely make up the gap when it comes to reproducing motion. They also use less power and tend to be brighter. Because I pretty much only watch hockey and family guy (I refuse to become an adult) I far prefer the vivid colours that the LCD can generate even if they are a tiny bit less precise.

However like I said the plasma is still a gorgeous TV and I wouldn't ever warn anyone away from a GOOD plasma. The cheaper ones tend to look a bit muddy. Any way you cut it the life expectancy of the television is far longer than you are going to want to keep it anyways.

edit* All HDTVs look like shit when watching standard def TV. If like me you have Shaw, consider moving to Bell or some other satellite provider because Shaw HD selection is really lacking.
    Thanks, for the input on plasma but lets leave out the LCD comparison.

If anyone has the last gen Panasonic (PZ800U); I want to here from you.

My Ride

Originally posted by radioactivesago

If anyone has the last gen Panasonic (PZ800U); I want to here from you.
    I have a 42" of this exact model. I've had it for about a year (not 100% sure), before it got moved into my bedroom, it was almost always on, not a single problem. Love all the extra ports and hookups, great interface and remote.

Any specfic questions?
    Last edited by 5hift; 05-28-2009 at 09:57 AM.

I have a 42 Panasonic from late '05, my tv is on a LOT and I haven't had ANY issues....great tv, will buy again A++++

My Ride
    1ST GEN

http://reviews.cnet.com/4351-12658_7-6583301.html

Plasmas use twice the energy of a lcd (about as much as an old tube tv like what your grandma has) and can't be recycled like an lcd. Plus they can burn. Plasmas don't make much sense to me since you can get as good a picture in an lcd.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by 2.0turbo
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4351-12658_7-6583301.html

Plasmas use twice the energy of a lcd (about as much as an old tube tv like what your grandma has) and can't be recycled like an lcd. Plus they can burn. Plasmas don't make much sense to me since you can get as good a picture in an lcd.
    LCDs can burn too, but with TVs today both are very well proofed against burn in. And no, you can't as good a picture, unless you get an LED-backlit LCD TV, and even then only with an local-dimming one.

This is a good read about LED and OLED:

http://gizmodo.com/5271493/giz-expla...d+backlit-lcds

My Ride

OLED is still years away from economically sensible. the type of backlighting has very little to do with picture quality but has huge implications when it comes to power consumption. It is also physically impossible to burn in an LCD TV. However burn in has long since been reduced to a negligible level with Plasma televisions.

Picture quality has to do with colour reproduction (+1 for plasma), ablility to display black (+1 for LCD), and the ability to refresh the screen to make the image appear smooth (with 120hz LCDs on the market this is a draw). In the end they are both so close it is completely a personal preference thing.

I hate how hot my plasma gets and I also hate that according to my ammeter it draws on average 620 watts which is no small amount of electricity (about the same as your garage door operating continuously for the same length as your TV is on)

My Ride

my apologies for bringing in the LCD comparo by the way. However it is pertinent if you are looking for the BEST tv not just a TYPE of TV. Have fun with your plasma, it will last you longer than you care to watch it.

Panasonic does make the best plasma on the market IMO, you should like it.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by Q-TIP
    OLED is still years away from economically sensible. the type of backlighting has very little to do with picture quality but has huge implications when it comes to power consumption. It is also physically impossible to burn in an LCD TV. However burn in has long since been reduced to a negligible level with Plasma televisions.

Picture quality has to do with colour reproduction (+1 for plasma), ablility to display black (+1 for LCD), and the ability to refresh the screen to make the image appear smooth (with 120hz LCDs on the market this is a draw). In the end they are both so close it is completely a personal preference thing.

I hate how hot my plasma gets and I also hate that according to my ammeter it draws on average 620 watts which is no small amount of electricity (about the same as your garage door operating continuously for the same length as your TV is on)

Sorry man, but you are WAY off base here. Did you even read the article I linked? Backlighting has huge implications on picture quality by the way of contrast ratio and black levels. And that thing about black levels being +1 for LCD? No. Not unless you get into OLED, like I mentioned before. And I wasn't suggesting buying an OLED TV, as it is very common knowledge that it is still economically out of reach. And again, 120Hz does not make things a draw, because most insert a black frame in between frames - if it evened things up, why would manufacturers be making 240Hz panels? (Despite the obvious upselling).

Check yourself!

EDIT: No, Panasonic does not, not yet. Pioneer is still largely regarded as the best producer, although they are on their final run of the Kuro line, and then it's Panasonic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast