Quantcast
40 km/hr speed limit in residental community - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 40 km/hr speed limit in residental community

Originally posted by richardchan2002
    They should get rid of all speed zones that are less than 50km/h.

Toronto doesn't have playground zones and there don't have mass child injuries and deaths.

Calgary is very backwards and caters to too many whiny bitches.
    Same with Winnipeg.

My first ticket in Calgary was for speeding through the playground zone on Dalhousie (four lanes and a wide boulevard with no visible playground).

When the cop pulled me over and angrily told me I was going 56 km/h... I was like WTF?

Originally posted by atgilchrist
    IIRC, there are school zones Canada-wide, but only Calgary has playground zones.
    I never noticed any school zones here until I just googled it and apparently schools are often, but not always permanently set at 40km/hr. So night/day speed limit doesn't change.
    Last edited by szw; 05-29-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Which is exactly why I am saving my monies and moving the fuck away from here. Everyday I find something different that pisses the hell out of me about this city.

Raise your kids, have them not jump out into traffic, and bingo, no need for any speed limit lower than 50km/h. When I was a kid I wasn't a fuckin' retard and didn't jump out into traffic for a ball, I let the car pass first.

Originally posted by Swank
    Have any of you had the pleasure of driving down a road with large speed bumps instead of a reduced speed limit? So far Capri Ave NW is the only one I've encountered, it's fucked.
    Raised trucks just fly over them :\ It is bloody stupid...

I know a lot of places across the world are going to a 40km/hr residential limit because studies have shown that there is a 50+% fatality rate for pedestrain collisions at 50km/hr while a drop to 40km/hr lowers it below 20%.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

Originally posted by DayGlow
    I know a lot of places across the world are going to a 40km/hr residential limit because studies have shown that there is a 50+% fatality rate for pedestrain collisions at 50km/hr while a drop to 40km/hr lowers it below 20%.
    IMO, the issue is not speed. The issue is that we (as pedestrians) need to not get hit as much as we are in Calgary. I don't have fancy stats that no one can verify like the police when they want to get their agenda across, but I think it is a no brainer to state that No collision = no fatalities.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Have any of you had the pleasure of driving down a road with large speed bumps instead of a reduced speed limit? So far Capri Ave NW is the only one I've encountered, it's fucked.
    Rosedale is littered with them, it's so fuckin annoying. Oh ya, they also have traffic circles everywhere

Originally posted by cloud7

IMO, the issue is not speed. The issue is that we (as pedestrians) need to not get hit as much as we are in Calgary. I don't have fancy stats that no one can verify like the police when they want to get their agenda across, but I think it is a no brainer to state that No collision = no fatalities.
    Education (driver and pedestrian) = reduced fatalies? Far too logical to be in Alberta, fuck even North America.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by Kritafo
    I did call bylaw services and sent them pictures of the house number and pictures of the unsupervised children at play. With the pylons.

Bitchy yes...Front yards are to look pretty, backyards are for playing ..bike paths are for riding...fields are for sports...playgrounds are for 10 kids fighting over the 2 swings and kids going up the slide instead of down .... and being careful of the pedophiles offering candy. ....Apparently somewhere that all changed.
    Wow, and I thought I was the only person experiencing the problem... You should start a new thread and have people post pictures on here about unsupervised kids on the streets with illegal signs on the roadway.

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Raised trucks just fly over them :\ It is bloody stupid...
    Kensington too... I just fly over them in my beater. Sparks FTW!

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

I completely disregard the 40 KM/H zone on Elbow Drive heading towards downtown, but I will slow to 30 KM/H for the Playground zone.

The Playground zone is ticket is more expensive than the 40 KM/H zone ticket will be.
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

Originally posted by Kritafo
    The front of our newsletter says. 25 KM speed limits, speed bumps every 3 blocks, stop signs at every corner and be a pace care. So if we reduce the speed to 25 we can speed up to 30 in the playground zones. lol!
    25 km/h? That's so stupidly slow you can easily exceed that on bicycle.

Yes, in Lower Mt Royal a couple of blocks south of Mt Royal Village:
    - 7 Street
    - College Lane
    - Royal Avenue

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by kenny

I routinely get yelled at to slow down while driving 30km/h on my street. This is with NO kids on the sidewalk or road. Anytime anyone yells at me to slow down now, I speed up to 50 (unless there are kids around).

And if there are kids its 70....
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    1985 Fleetwood

In the spirit of refuting the Big Government Nanny-State, I offer the following. I keep this posted on my fridge door.

This is something Peter Worthington wrote for the Sun a few years ago:

The following piece appeared in The Scottish Banner, with the request to pass it on "to others who have had the luck to grow up as kids before lawyers and government regulated our lives for our own good!"

I don't know if this piece originated in the Banner, written by Will MacKinnon, but the copy I saw had been edited to apply to North America, not just the British Isles.

It generates a felling of wistfulness for days that are no more, and a time that's unlikely to be repeated.

"According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those who were kids in the '30s to the early '70s, probably shouldn't have survived. For example:

- Our baby cribs were covered with bright, coloured lead-based paint.

- We had no childproof lids or locks on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets.

- When we rode our bikes, we had no helmets.

- We played hockey and baseball without helmets and mouth guards. Our parents rarely attended shinny games.

- Then there were the risks we took hitch-hiking.

- As kids, we rode in cars without safety belts or air bags.

- Riding in the back of a pickup truck was a special treat.

- Public swimming pools actually had diving boards - a low one and a high one on which we tested our nerve.

- We actually went swimming without a lifeguard or adults present to make sure we didn't drown.

- We drank water from a garden hose, not from a bottle. Horrors!

- We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

- We shared pop with four friends, all drinking from the same bottle, and no one actually died from this.

- We spent hours building go-karts out of scraps, and then rode down hills, only to find that we had forgotten about brakes. After running into bushes, we solved the problem.

- We would leave home in the morning, play all day, and as long as we were home when the street lights went on, no one worried. No one was able to reach us all day. No cell phones.

- We didn't have Playstations, Nintendo 64, or X-Boxes. No video games, no 99 channels on cable, videotaped movies, no surround sound, personal computers, no internal chat rooms.

- We had friends. We went outside and found them.

- We played dodge ball, and sometimes the ball really hurt.

- We fell out of trees, got cuts and sometimes broken bones and teeth, but there were no lawsuits from these accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember "accidents"?

- We had fights and punched one another and got black eyes and learned to get over it.

-We made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out any eyes.

- We rode bikes or walked to friend's homes and knocked on the door, rang the bell, or walked in. Doors were seldom locked.

- In the fall, we raked dead leaves off lawns for cash, piled them on the street, and then set fire to them. Rarely did we burn down the neighborhood or contaminate our lungs with smoke, or break pollution laws.

- Some of us in small towns actually owned .22 rifles and went shooting groundhogs in farmer's fields on weekends.

- Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't, learned to cope with disappointment.

- In school or organized games, we kept score and had winners and losers - not bland, no-score contests.

- Some kids weren't as smart as others, so when they failed a grade in school, they returned next year to repeat the year. Horrors!

- Tests were not 'adjusted' for any reason.

- When teachers were cross with us or punished us, our parents never threatened the teacher, but were inclined to side with the teacher.

- Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

- The idea of parents bailing us out if we got into trouble at school or broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with authority.

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem-solvers, inventors and self-sufficient citizens in our society.

We had freedom, failure, success, responsibility, and yes, disappointments. But we learned to deal with them.

Are you one of these? If so, congratulations!"

Feel free to pass this along. Maybe, just maybe, if enough people read this, we can undo some of the damage, and recover some portion of what we've lost.
    "I know a guy who confronted a thief breaking into his Jeep. The thief pulled a knife, so buddy hit him in the head with a 4' Jack-All.
    "Moral of the story: Some people are gullible pussies who'll give you money for trying to rob them, and some people will fuck your shit up with a HiJack.
    Since you can't tell which is which without it being too late, it's probably best to err of the side of caution and not fuck with other people's property." ........ TKRIS

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

I have to agree in some areas the speed should be lowered,
    like Temple, Martindale,Pineridge.
    Kids there have no supervision and are always running into the road.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by 85FltWd
    In the spirit of refuting the Big Government Nanny-State, I offer the following. I keep this posted on my fridge door.

This is something Peter Worthington wrote for the Sun a few years ago:

- Our baby cribs were covered with bright, coloured lead-based paint.

- We had no childproof lids or locks on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets.

- When we rode our bikes, we had no helmets.

- We played hockey and baseball without helmets and mouth guards. Our parents rarely attended shinny games.

- Then there were the risks we took hitch-hiking.

- As kids, we rode in cars without safety belts or air bags.

- Riding in the back of a pickup truck was a special treat.

- Public swimming pools actually had diving boards - a low one and a high one on which we tested our nerve.

- We actually went swimming without a lifeguard or adults present to make sure we didn't drown.

- We drank water from a garden hose, not from a bottle. Horrors!

- We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

- We shared pop with four friends, all drinking from the same bottle, and no one actually died from this.

- We spent hours building go-karts out of scraps, and then rode down hills, only to find that we had forgotten about brakes. After running into bushes, we solved the problem.

- We would leave home in the morning, play all day, and as long as we were home when the street lights went on, no one worried. No one was able to reach us all day. No cell phones.

- We didn't have Playstations, Nintendo 64, or X-Boxes. No video games, no 99 channels on cable, videotaped movies, no surround sound, personal computers, no internal chat rooms.

- We had friends. We went outside and found them.

- We played dodge ball, and sometimes the ball really hurt.

- We fell out of trees, got cuts and sometimes broken bones and teeth, but there were no lawsuits from these accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember "accidents"?

- We had fights and punched one another and got black eyes and learned to get over it.

-We made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out any eyes.

- We rode bikes or walked to friend's homes and knocked on the door, rang the bell, or walked in. Doors were seldom locked.

- In the fall, we raked dead leaves off lawns for cash, piled them on the street, and then set fire to them. Rarely did we burn down the neighborhood or contaminate our lungs with smoke, or break pollution laws.

- Some of us in small towns actually owned .22 rifles and went shooting groundhogs in farmer's fields on weekends.

- Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't, learned to cope with disappointment.

- In school or organized games, we kept score and had winners and losers - not bland, no-score contests.

- Some kids weren't as smart as others, so when they failed a grade in school, they returned next year to repeat the year. Horrors!

- Tests were not 'adjusted' for any reason.

- When teachers were cross with us or punished us, our parents never threatened the teacher, but were inclined to side with the teacher.

- Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

- The idea of parents bailing us out if we got into trouble at school or broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with authority.

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem-solvers, inventors and self-sufficient citizens in our society.

We had freedom, failure, success, responsibility, and yes, disappointments. But we learned to deal with them.

Feel free to pass this along. Maybe, just maybe, if enough people read this, we can undo some of the damage, and recover some portion of what we've lost.
    Lists like this always make me laugh, like doing stupid shit somehow makes you a stronger individual, like lead-paint cribs, not biking with a helmet or wearing no seat belt. Times have changed a lot too. Kids don't get in fist fights, then "get over it". They take their dad's .45 and blast that kid at school. No playstation or computer? I wonder how many kids were plopped in front of the Atari for hours? I could go on, and on and on. Fact is, if the knowledge and technology available now was available then, kids would not have grown up the same no matter what you think.

Some of it I agree with but here is the thing. This list was intended for kids that grew up, we'll say in the upper range (60's, early 70's) which means that when these people had kids, it was the 80s, early 90s for the most part. Early 90s? That's probably around the same time when this list was created! I find it all too funny that this list was created by the same aged parents that raised the first, so called pussy-generation of kids.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Originally posted by DayGlow

Originally posted by cloud7

I don't have fancy stats that no one can verify like the police when they want to get their agenda across...

My Ride
    1996 del sol

Originally posted by cancer man
    I have to agree in some areas the speed should be lowered,
    like Temple, Martindale,Pineridge.
    Kids there have no supervision and are always running into the road.
    great lets cater to stupid reckless lazy parents

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by msommers

Lists like this always make me laugh, like doing stupid shit somehow makes you a stronger individual, like lead-paint cribs, not biking with a helmet or wearing no seat belt. Times have changed a lot too. Kids don't get in fist fights, then "get over it". They take their dad's .45 and blast that kid at school. No playstation or computer? I wonder how many kids were plopped in front of the Atari for hours? I could go on, and on and on. Fact is, if the knowledge and technology available now was available then, kids would not have grown up the same no matter what you think.

Some of it I agree with but here is the thing. This list was intended for kids that grew up, we'll say in the upper range (60's, early 70's) which means that when these people had kids, it was the 80s, early 90s for the most part. Early 90s? That's probably around the same time when this list was created! I find it all too funny that this list was created by the same aged parents that raised the first, so called pussy-generation of kids.
    Some of the points are more for laugh. But the main point is this "I MUST HAVE freedom (MEANING I WILL DO WHATEVER THE HECK I FEEL LIKE WITH NO CONSIDERATION OF THE OTHERS), failure IS UNACCEPTABLE, success IS EXPECTED, responsibility IS OPTIONAL, and yes, disappointments AGAIN NOT AN OPTION. ANYONE ELSE BUT ME should deal with the problem." For some reason, this appears to be the discipline nowadays.

We are scared shitless by the media, the government and big companies everyday, you shouldn't do this, you should do that instead. I agree that some recommendation is valid and warranted, but common sense and logic seems non-existent these days. Example, do we really need to tell you that fresh-off-the-pot coffee is hot, putting plastic bag over your head may lead to suffocation. How about removing your pants while taking a shit? I don't see that warning anywhere in my pants.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by kenny
    I routinely get yelled at to slow down while driving 30km/h on my street. This is with NO kids on the sidewalk or road. Anytime anyone yells at me to slow down now, I speed up to 50 (unless there are kids around).
    Last week I was rolling down a side street doing 30 (I was lost looking for a house number) and some dad who was watching his kid in the front of his house told me to, and I quote, "get the fuck out of the car". Of course, I stopped, but before I could do anything he was five feet from my door.

He then berated me for a full 5 minutes about speeding on side streets. When I actually DID get out of the car he shut his mouth. I then explain how I was doing 30 and that he needs to find other things to occupy his time. Some people need to HARDEN THE FUCK UP.

God, the pussification of society is ridiculous. It's so commonplace, ironically, that my browser spell check hasn't even singled out "pussification" as misspelled....

My Ride
    1985 Fleetwood

Originally posted by A790
    ... God, the pussification of society is ridiculous. It's so commonplace, ironically, that my browser spell check hasn't even singled out "pussification" as misspelled....
    "I know a guy who confronted a thief breaking into his Jeep. The thief pulled a knife, so buddy hit him in the head with a 4' Jack-All.
    "Moral of the story: Some people are gullible pussies who'll give you money for trying to rob them, and some people will fuck your shit up with a HiJack.
    Since you can't tell which is which without it being too late, it's probably best to err of the side of caution and not fuck with other people's property." ........ TKRIS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast