Quantcast
Sick days or calling in sick - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Sick days or calling in sick

My Ride
    1994 civic eg hatch, 1992 - 180sx

Default Sick days or calling in sick

Guys, how does your companies work with sick/sick days. I had caught the flu earlier this week (no its not swine flu I hope) and have been out of work for 3 days now. On the 2nd day I went into the doctor and he gave me a sick letter for work, but also on the letter gave me my entire shift off in theory if I needed it (its a 7 day shift, wed. to tues. and 12 hrs. a day) Problem I am not feeling that well still so I am wondering what a tolerable amount of days off would be for a flu. So far I have been calling in very early before my shifts and let them know my doctor recommended a couple days of rest and drinking alot of fluids (on top of the 2 days I had already been off) and they have been good about it so far. I am worried though if I take any more days out I may get into trouble. Im not sure why I think that as they haven't gotten upset or warned me or anyting and I did everything right so far, but still. I know a doctors note may not protect me but I am legitimately sick although no runs or throwing up now, just sweats/headache/stomache ache occasionally and still on a fluid diet. Should I tough out my last 4 days take some gravol/pepto and tylonel (lots of meds but Ill probally need them) and soilder into work, or mabey take the next day off to rest up/recover a bit more as the doctor had told me? (Again Im not feeling 100% and I do labourer work outside mostly, but I also don't know if I could lose my job if I miss another day although i took off 3 i dont see 4 being any much more but who knows and I think I could use the extra day but I ay be able to push threw the 4 days left I just dont want to wear mysef down and then get sick again! either) What is companies policies on sick days also? How many have you needed before when you had a good flu? I wouldn't be so worried either if I wasn't on 3 month probation still (finishes end of June) but I haven't had any issues/warnings or missed days yet except for this getting sick.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

rest it up dude
    i would be pissed if i was your coworker and you got me sick.

my boss came to work sick at my old job and got everyone sick. i had to take 3 days off and was not very happy because of it.

stay at home and get well

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I don't get it. If you're too sick to work, then stay home. If you're able to get showered and dress yourself, go to work.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    TypeR

make sure you check the policy, if it states that u can have only so many days and you sign something your job might be at stake if they want to be dicks.

My Ride

Originally posted by Mar
    I don't get it. If you're too sick to work, then stay home. If you're able to get showered and dress yourself, go to work.
    The only thing with this logic is that the doctor was aware that I was not throwing up or having the runs anymore, but like he said I should probally rest/regain fluids that I would have lost so Im not sure if I go in tommorow (at 5:30am I will have to be up and pretty much out the door) that I will last the 4 days without becoming run down again thats what Im trying to avoid by making a decision to go into work to quickly. Anyways Ill look threw what books I do have, I know I read about it somewhere I just have to find the book.

you could always try to go to work and see how you feel
    if you feel sick, leave

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by megafandrew

The only thing with this logic is that the doctor was aware that I was not throwing up or having the runs anymore, but like he said I should probally rest/regain fluids that I would have lost so Im not sure if I go in tommorow (at 5:30am I will have to be up and pretty much out the door) that I will last the 4 days without becoming run down again thats what Im trying to avoid by making a decision to go into work to quickly. Anyways Ill look threw what books I do have, I know I read about it somewhere I just have to find the book.
    I'm getting the impression that you're out there for 4 days if you choose to go at all. Is this the case? I don't think you mentioned this. Are you fishing or in the field or something?
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride

Originally posted by Mar

I'm getting the impression that you're out there for 4 days if you choose to go at all. Is this the case? I don't think you mentioned this. Are you fishing or in the field or something?
    \\no I could always go home, but It is a long commute if you were to be sick trying to drive home and Im not too sure if my employer would be happy if I came in, got sick and then had to go home the same day if I would have stayed home. Im thinking I may try to go in tommorow and let them know Im still a little uneasy but see what happens? Perhaps I can call them early in the morning let them know Ill come in but tell them I AM having a few symptoms still. Really, who likes to go to work and come back sick, I work in an oilfield Im not conviniently placed in or around town/city

EDIT: I should say I checked my workbooks it doesn't really state anything about sick days so Im gonna check their website, if nothing there I forgot they do have a 24hr hotline I will just call, explain my situation and see what will happen if I did want to take the extra couple days of resting and actually see what they recommend
    Last edited by megafandrew; 05-29-2009 at 08:52 PM.

EM1FTW is offline I'm a fag because only fags love Hondas
    My Ride
    EM1 yo!

Phone your employer and mention that you DO want to come into work, although you still are feeling slightly ill. I have done that before, and 99% of the time the boss will tell you to stay home and rest, unless they REALLY need you.
    Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Kinda like this morning when I wanted to tell my GF to pass the sugar and it came out "You fucking bitch, you've ruined my life."

My Ride

Originally posted by EM1FTW
    Phone your employer and mention that you DO want to come into work, although you still are feeling slightly ill. I have done that before, and 99% of the time the boss will tell you to stay home and rest, unless they REALLY need you.
    Hey thanks for that advice Em and it's actually very strange, I just got off the phone with my employer and mentioned my concerns about being off for 4 days now (with a legitimate flu mind you, believe me the first 2 days after I caught it were awful) and they said I will not be judged any different then anyone else on probation because I was sick, also as long as I have the doctors note I should be fine. I told him I would come in but expressed my concern of 12 hr days outside in the sun while still having some flu symptoms and he said rest, and if not in tommorow let them know. So all is alright Im going to log off here and get some good rest, wash my bedding later and try to move onto some solid foods. When I did call earlier another supervisor spoke to me and said I better email my note in and shit gets twisted etc. etc. my actual day supervisor said on the phone he talked to him this morning and he was pulling my leg/scaring me a bit. I am greatful my employer is understanding because Ive worked for some tough/hammer head boss's before and know there out there making it hard for other people. Quick question, why are doctors notes so genaric now days? (I know this because my dad was sick before me and got one, its basically the same not I got from a different doctor although they do supply their number if there's questions) and what are some good HEALTHY foods I could probally eat or avoid for now? Thanks guys

EM1FTW is offline I'm a fag because only fags love Hondas
    My Ride
    EM1 yo!

No problem dude, glad it worked out for you!

As far as the doctor's note thing goes with being generic and all, mostly its just to make sure that you aren't skipping town to go play golf in my opinion. My old boss said "If you are to sick to go get a doctors note, you can phone me from the hospital."

And for foods, stay away from anything greasy. I usually just start out with unsalted crackers hahaha

Get well dude!
    Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Kinda like this morning when I wanted to tell my GF to pass the sugar and it came out "You fucking bitch, you've ruined my life."