Quantcast
Questions about GDL - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Questions about GDL

My Ride
    Eclipse

Default Questions about GDL

So I have tried to avoid GDL for as long as possible, but I have realized I should stop being so damn lazy and get it done. I will be taking the test tomorrow but I do not remember how to do a couple things properly

1. When reversing do I put my right hand on the passenger seat or keep both hands on the stearing wheel?

2. When I am at a stop does my car have to be in 1st gear always?

3. Do I need to downshift and let out the clutch every time I am coming to a stop, what if I don't have enough time?

4. I remember when I was 16 I asked the guy if I should inspect the car before we go on the ride, do I have to do this with the instructor this time or do I just get into the car adjust mirrors and put on seatbelt?

Anyone have any tips of what they did wrong on there GDL test? and what I should try to avoid doing?
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    300 Limited

Default Re: Questions about GDL

Originally posted by Kobe
    So I have tried to avoid GDL for as long as possible, but I have realized I should stop being so damn lazy and get it done. I will be taking the test tomorrow but I do not remember how to do a couple things properly

1. When reversing do I put my right hand on the passenger seat or keep both hands on the stearing wheel?

2. When I am at a stop does my car have to be in 1st gear always?

3. Do I need to downshift and let out the clutch every time I am coming to a stop, what if I don't have enough time?

4. I remember when I was 16 I asked the guy if I should inspect the car before we go on the ride, do I have to do this with the instructor this time or do I just get into the car adjust mirrors and put on seatbelt?

Anyone have any tips of what they did wrong on there GDL test? and what I should try to avoid doing?
    1. Keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times. I'm not sure why you would be reversing.

2. As far as I know, it doesn't matter if you're in 1st or in 6th; if you stop fully at the stop sign, and leave smoothly there are no problems.

3. You don't need to downshift when coming to a stop, if you have enough time, and know you can do it smoothly then do it. Should you not have enough time, clutch in and downshift to 1st and just use breaks to come to a stop.

4. Don't worry, the instructor will let you know. Just turn your hazards on BEFORE you take the car out for the test, make sure all signal/lights are working.

5. You sound worried about having to drive a manual for the test; if that's the case you're better off borrowing an automatic and taking it on that, makes it far less stressful.

Other tips:
    Do the speed limit, do NOT speed with traffic.
    Signal, shoulder check when changing lanes
    STOP fully at stop signs.
    Careful at school/playground zones.

Good luck.
    It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Ive been driving manual cars for the last 4-5 years, however when I took my first test it was in an automatic, so i wasn't 100% sure how 2 do everything propely, I can drive it fine tho

thanks for the info
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

This is what I was taught at AMA driving school a long time ago. Things may have changed but this has served me well over the past couple of decades. Note that the "right way" may depend on your examiner.

1. It's permissible to steer with one hand and turn your shoulders to get a better rearward view because it's more important that you see where you're going than to have both hands on the wheel. When backing up straight or to the right, look over your right shoulder. When backing up to the left, look over your left shoulder and roll down your window if it helps. Trivia: you don't need to have your seat belt on when backing up.

2. When stopped, you should be in first gear ready to go at any time.

3. You should be in the proper gear appropriate for the car's speed. This means you must downshift properly.

4. Walk around the car first before you get in to visually inspect for fluid leaks, flat tires or anything obstructing your path. This does not mean you have to check the tire pressure, oil dipstick, etc... just a visual check mostly for shit blocking your way.

My Ride
    05 Forester X

I got nailed on this for my test,
    Stop AT the stop line, then move up and see if you can go.
    I stopped at the corner because i couldn't see.
    Once you stop, you can move up and make sure you can go.
    =D
    my 0.02

Also at any uncontrolled intersections (which there will be) make sure you slow down and make it really obvious you are checking for cars coming from the right, treat it as if it is a yield. The hardest part is determining if the cross street has a yield or stop sign

I think you're silly for taking a manual on the test - from what I've read, they can and will fail you for stupid stuff, like spending too much time in the 'wrong' gear, clutching in too soon, etc...

It doesn't matter if you think you know how to drive a manual, it's if they think you can.

My Ride
    T MR2

Kobe im in the same boat as you, what driving school did you book with?

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by livinlarge89
    Also at any uncontrolled intersections (which there will be) make sure you slow down and make it really obvious you are checking for cars coming from the right, treat it as if it is a yield. The hardest part is determining if the cross street has a yield or stop sign
    When i was doing it today, you had 2 do commentary for 2 minutes when he said start and stop, and there was an uncontrolled intersection you had to mention to him, something to watch out for

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
    I think you're silly for taking a manual on the test - from what I've read, they can and will fail you for stupid stuff, like spending too much time in the 'wrong' gear, clutching in too soon, etc...

It doesn't matter if you think you know how to drive a manual, it's if they think you can.
    It wasn't that bad, I would lie it did get a little confussing trying to remember about all the same things, but I did not loose any marks on driving stick..

Originally posted by Fcuk
    Kobe im in the same boat as you, what driving school did you book with?
    You need to book it at the registries now and its $140 so good luck! they boosted up the price it used to be $90

Anyways I ended up loosing marks are stoping to early from the stop signs and then moving up (Lost 20 on that) then i lost another 20 marks on going to slow (50 in a 60zone) and then (30 in a 50zone - it was right after a playfround zone)

I ended up loosing a couple other marks, i crossed the white line once entering westhills from sarcee (The line is a pain in the ass 2 not hit)

and then a signaled 2 early...

In total i lost 75 marks, and you can loose 75 marks so I bearly just passed...

I'll take it there was no uphill or downhill parking, just make sure you go the speed limits and stop where required at the stop signs...

It took me over 5 years but i'm finally off GDL hahaha

My Ride
    Canyonero

Lucky for you there was no grammatical component to the GDL test.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by prae
    Lucky for you there was no grammatical component to the GDL test.
    I've passed all the english classes in coolage i dont need 2 w0rry about smelling and grammer.. just GRAMMER NOT GAMMAR