Quantcast
Lifting Gloves? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting Gloves?

Question Lifting Gloves?

Hey Guys,

Lately I have found myself lifting at the gym and the bars are doing a number to my hands. When lifting heavy weights sometimes the bar pinches my hands in the area where my fingers start. After I while this will eventually cause blisters. And nothing is worse than gripping the bar and to start feeling it slip in your grip.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendation for lifting gloves and where I could possibly pick a pair up locally?

-DC
    PSN: DeceitfulWings
    XBL: DeceitfulWings

I use Harbinger gloves. You can pick them up at fitness source, possibly even sport chek

Before you resort to gloves, try gripping it lower in the fingers. Gripping the bar high in the hand causes the calluses and blisters that you're talking about.
    heloc that shit

harbinger for me as well too - cept i might just switch to straps - ive been finding that my gloves makes the bar slip during the heavy deadlifts

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Gloves are gay man. Straps are the way to go

just a suggestion... but maybe try using chaulk if the gym allows it.. i found it worked better then gloves..

Chalk or straps.

Gloves are for gardeners.

And gays.

My Ride
    Corvette

^ Ignore this comment.

Theres nothing wrong with using gloves, they'll protect your hands from blisters and calluses. If you've been working out for a while with barehands you will appreciate this.

If you dont care what your hands look/feel like. The best feeling and grip is with chalk! Break some up, bring a small container with you.

For shrugs/deadlifts you'll notice a huge difference with the straps. Definately worth trying out, you can goto Sportchek and get a decent set for $15

To answer your question, gloves are gloves. You wont notice a difference where you get them or how much you pay. Just find a pair that is comfortable. Try Nike Dryfit.

Originally posted by BigShow
    ^ Ignore this comment.

Theres nothing wrong with using gloves, they'll protect your hands from blisters and calluses. If you've been working out for a while with barehands you will appreciate this.
    Due to the padding, gloves tend to make gripping harder by making the bar larger than it is

If you dont care what your hands look/feel like. The best feeling and grip is with chalk! Break some up, bring a small container with you.
    Chalk helps, but if you're gripping improperly you'll still get calluses and blisters. Caring for your hands is as simple as filing down/cutting callouses regularly. Keeping callouses from building up will prevent chances of blisters

For shrugs/deadlifts you'll notice a huge difference with the straps. Definately worth trying out, you can goto Sportchek and get a decent set for $15
    There's a trade off. Straps help you lift more weight, but won't help you develop grip strength.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

There's just something about callouses on a man's hands.. you know it makes him a man.

If you're gonna use gloves to "protect" your hands, you probably shouldn't be lifting anyway.

Straps are good for advanced trainees. Not the average person.

Work on grip strength.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

^ Ignore this comment.

Ignore Richard Simmons, here ^^

Chalk or straps.

My Ride
    NC1

Man up and skip the gloves.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    TL

Don't bother with gloves or straps. If your grip is slipping, then work on your grip strength with static holds or plate pinches. In the long run when you lift heavy weight there won't be a need for straps to keep going.

Use chalk if you are allowed and file down or cut off the calluses that you get over time.

Just man up to lift heavy weights, otherwise you won't ever move past the pink & green colored dumbbells.

My Ride
    Corvette

Originally posted by lint

Due to the padding, gloves tend to make gripping harder by making the bar larger than it is

I agree entirely, I'm not saying to use gloves for grip.

I've had calluses for so long from heavy weights it doesnt bother me anymore, if you dont wanna use gloves go for the chalk!
    Last edited by BigShow; 06-04-2009 at 07:15 AM.

My Ride
    Subaru GR

I got some soft square foam pads I use....one for each hand, picked'em up from that fitness place in Deerfoot mall $15
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Thanks for all the information guys. Some very interesting opinions and stuff. I never really took it into consider grip training but that sounds like an excellent idea (Thx for the suggestions Darkane and Oz). I'll have to look into these static holds and plate pinches and add them into my workout.
    PSN: DeceitfulWings
    XBL: DeceitfulWings

People get rid of their calluses? That is way too much work :\ I just let them grow and be happy all over my hands. Not to mention it helps boat loads to have calluses when you rock climb...

So what's the verdict here, gloves or no gloves?

Originally posted by 88coupe
    So what's the verdict here, gloves or no gloves?
    The verdict is in: you don't know how to read
    heloc that shit

Shy away from gloves and straps. They hurt your grip strength. You need to develop it. And you probably don't want to have to do extra grip/forearm isolation exercises because you used gloves/straps.

Lift (especially deadlift) with nothing (chalk if you are allowed,) this will actually work your forearms so they're proportional to everything else.

People need to suck it up with the calluses. Lifting imo is about not just being strong physically, but mentally. Don't be afraid to bleed /expression.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast