Quantcast
Cars windows smashed - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Cars windows smashed

My Ride
    Jaguar S-Type, Navigator

Default Cars windows smashed

Long story short, i parked my jaguar at the body shop for paint and someon smashed the windows, should the bodyshop cover this cost or will it have to come out of my pocket, he refuses to pay for it, is there anything i can do? any help would great thanks in advance

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

Was it on their property?
    AFAIK:
    If so, it should be covered by their insurance company
    or on the street?
    then it's on your bill
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

Default Re: Cars windows smashed

Originally posted by LV SLUGGER
    Long story short, i parked my jaguar at the body shop for paint and someon smashed the windows, should the bodyshop cover this cost or will it have to come out of my pocket, he refuses to pay for it, is there anything i can do? any help would great thanks in advance
    your username has nothing to do with it right

My Ride
    01 330i

you parked it before they collect the keys or after?

Did the ppl at the body shop acknowledge they have received you car?
    When you have a thought... let it go.. just let it go and you move ahead of everyone else

Default Re: Re: Cars windows smashed

Originally posted by slick2404

your username has nothing to do with it right

Chances are they have no liability even if it happened after you gave them the keys. You probably had a quote of some kind and by agreeing for them to do the work on that quote you are agreeing to their terms which generally state they can't he held liable for theft, vandalism, etc... while it's in their hands.

My Ride
    94 ST205 / 88 ED8

That sucks. Happened to me last December w/ my CRX. The shittiest part was cleaning all the broken glass out of the door. I still find little bits of glass everytime I take anything out of the interior.

Good luck, hopefully you can find windows for cheap
    Texas Nick

The shops not responsible. You're insurance will however cover it if you have comprehensive. Probably not the front windshield though.
    Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Wait. Tom, THE Tom?
    Originally posted by Rusted Bumper
    As far as I can tell, tom_9109 has the most detailed and correct answer

My Ride
    01 330i

Originally posted by tom_9109
    The shops not responsible. You're insurance will however cover it if you have comprehensive. Probably not the front windshield though.
    Depends on the options you selected. I opted out of the windshield replacement.

My insurance said if the front windshield needed replacement due to rock chips and crack, they will not pay for it. But if it was broken in, then it is considered theft/vandalism and it will be covered under comprehensive
    When you have a thought... let it go.. just let it go and you move ahead of everyone else

Originally posted by tom_9109
    Originally posted by Senseiz

My insurance said if the front windshield needed replacement due to rock chips and crack, they will not pay for it. But if it was broken in, then it is considered theft/vandalism and it will be covered under comprehensive
    +1

Originally posted by Senseiz

When i said comprehensive would probably not cover the front windshield it was because most people that have comprehensive have the have the S.E.F. 13D Limited Glass added because its stupid expensive to not carry it. I assumed that the OP likely has the SEF 13D as I don't know anyone who doesn't.

It sounds like your broker didn't quite understand the endorsement. This endorsement will not cover damage to the front windshield by vandalism however will cover the rest of the windows damaged by vandalism.

Here is the endorsement.

S.E.F. NO. 13D
    COMPREHENSIVE COVER - LIMITED GLASS

In consideration of the premium charged, it is hereby understood and agreed that the insurer not be liable under Subsection 3 of Section C for loss or damage to glass unless such loss or damage is caused by fire, lighting, theft or attempt thereat, windstorm, earthquake, hail, explosion, riot or civil commotion, falling or forced landing of aircraft or parts thereof, rising water, or the stranding, sinking, burning, derailment or collision of any conveyance in or upon which the automobile is being transported on land or water.

In addition, there insurer shall be liable for loss or damage caused by vandalism to windows other than the front window.

Except as otherwise provided in the endorsement, all limits, therms, conditions, provision, definitions and exclusions of the policy wshall have full force and effect.

If more than one automobile is insured under the policy, this endorsement shall apply only the the automobiles(s) against which the SEF 13D is designated in the schedule of automobiles attached to and forming part of this policy, or as stated in the certificate of insurance to which this endorsement is attached.

Default Re: Cars windows smashed

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-13-2019 at 04:50 PM.

For the shop to be held responsible you'd have to prove they were negligent. A vandal smashing windows is not negligence on the shop part. Cars are parked in vulnerable places all the time and we can hold the owner of that place responsible for the actions of an unknown 3rd party. The parked the vehicle in a place they've likely parked dozens of other cars in the past without incident. It seems that it would most likely be reasonable to park you car there safely. Even if thy had it locked in the shop and someone broke in and smashed the windows I'm not sure you could hold them responsible. They aren't the criminal that victimized you.
    Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Wait. Tom, THE Tom?
    Originally posted by Rusted Bumper
    As far as I can tell, tom_9109 has the most detailed and correct answer