Quantcast
Looking for Advice: 2004/05 Acura TL - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Looking for Advice: 2004/05 Acura TL

Default Looking for Advice: 2004/05 Acura TL

It's time to change cars, and I've had my eye on the previous generation of TL's, specially the 2004/2005 base model due to budget constraints.

Looking for the opinion of past/current/perspective owners or even just those who know about them.

Basically my only requirements are:
    -Roughly 20k
    -Automatic Trans

I've never had Navi as an option, is it one of those features that once you have a car with it you'll never go back to google maps? Also gas mileage, how good/bad is it really? Any major maintenance work I should be sure that has been done when talking to dealers/private sellers (ie timing belt/water pump with civics)

Other than than, I think it's pretty well equipped...for reference I'll be moving on from my '01 Civic SiR.

Thanks!

They go for around 20k and if you know your way around town and stuff then you won't need navigation. Try asking the seller if they have all the records to see if proper maintence was done. I think most 04/05 owners have the automatic trans.

My Ride
    2004 Passat W8 4Motion/06 Touareg V8.

my roommate has one of those, its an 2004, pearl white/ beige leather/ with Navi and everthing. he bought it off from westside acura in edmonton two years ago.
    i have never seen any problems happened to his car, bullet proof front end,comfy interior. and i think the navi is the best of all,touch sceen instead dial/scroll button whick most of the cars have.very nice stereo.
    and just so you know he is selling the car now for around 20k. its got roughly 115000kms now. timing belt replaced, new pirelli all-season rubbers.
    let me know if you are interested.

My Ride
    VE & S13

auto trannies are bad just like the last generation of TL/CL but I think acura has warranty up til 130,000 km.

My Ride

Originally posted by Boost Infested
    auto trannies are bad just like the last generation of TL/CL but I think acura has warranty up til 130,000 km.
    i had an 02 TL-S and the tranny had to be replaced.
    In my opinions, auto trans in TL from 04-06 are much better and almost problem free.they shift smooth enough and tiptronic responses quicker.it also depends on the way you drive plus proper mainteinance. Just my two cents.

thanks for all the replies!

240SXLUV - I would love more info on your friends car, perhaps you can PM me his listing if its up.

As for Navigation - I guess its a factory option and can't be added in after the fact correct? If that is the case, then those portable GPS systems might be the best route to take.

Does anyone have input regarding Acura's extended warranty 6yr - 160km. Is this a major selling point if its included with a private sale, or does it basically just cover the power/drive train like most other warranties.

If you really wanted - you could order the OEM navigation unit and install it in your vehicle..

Worth the effort? That's up to you..

Think you'd be better off with one of those little hand held ones..

My Ride
    changes every year

FYI, for the amount of money you'll spend for factory nav, you can get an aftermarket NICER nav, with a full stereo setup(amp, subs,install everything) for way less. my factory nav would have been 3k. i spent half that and got all that stuff, plus a ps2 in my car.

its a waste of money IMO to go with factory options like that, OEM rapes the shit out of you in price.

My Ride

Originally posted by sm91
    thanks for all the replies!

240SXLUV - I would love more info on your friends car, perhaps you can PM me his listing if its up.

As for Navigation - I guess its a factory option and can't be added in after the fact correct? If that is the case, then those portable GPS systems might be the best route to take.

Does anyone have input regarding Acura's extended warranty 6yr - 160km. Is this a major selling point if its included with a private sale, or does it basically just cover the power/drive train like most other warranties.

sm91- You 're very welcome.
    He hasn't put up a for sale ad yet but i will upload some pictures if you would like them.

^ That would be great!

Anyone have any input towards the extended warranty? I've been doing my DD online, but can only see issues regarding the 2nd gen TL's nothing with the 3rd. Maybe its just for piece of mind.

As for Navi, I think your all correct in me looking for a aftermarket one rather than OEM.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

I assume you have checked http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/ ?

Personally I really like the TL. Good blend of performance, comfort and looks. Also Acura/Honda are usually reliable, and relatively good on gas. I had the 02 TLS and had no issues with it.