Quantcast
New baby <3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New baby <3

Default New baby <3

First of all, not sure if this should be here or in the Members Rides section. Please move it if it's supposed to be there; thanks!

So I've been spending the past month testing and reading about cars with the following criteria in mind:
    - AWD
    - Manual tranny
    - Balance of comfy yet sporty, quiet yet a decent sound when you push it, good pickup and power but I don't drive crazy so I'm not into having a LOT of power. So essentially a good balance of everything.

The 1st two points above pretty much gave me a short list of:
    - Legacy (Spec B of course)
    - 3 series
    - 5 series (used; not nearly baller enough for new, haha)
    - the redesigned A4 (I didn't really like the previous generation a lot)

Tried the 3 series, really didn't like the interior and while it was a good drive, it just didn't feel much better than I thought it would or anything. Really wasn't impressed I guess I could say. Relatively noisy also, in a bad way.

Tried a 2007 530xi, the wind noise was totally inexcusable, hopefully it's just a bad example of the 5 series but checking on messageboards I've found a ton of other people with the same complaint. The audio system was mediocre, iDrive sucks (went in expecting that), the voice command system is useless. Other than that it was a decent ride, again I'm not a fan of the interior in it as it seemed way too dated. I do like the exterior of a good 5 with the M sport package (the one I tested) or the M5 itself. The ride is pretty good, as it should be for a car that was originally 90k.

I tried a G, and IS even though they don't technically fit my requirements. Neither of them were 'fun' (probably due to the auto tranny) and while they're both good cars in their own respect, I couldn't really get fully interested in either.

The Legacy was good, but too much on the sporty side, not so much on the comfy. But again, that should be expected. On a side note, the Legacy nav system is one of the best integrated ones I've used as far as controls go.

I originally wasn't going to even look at the A4, because even though I've been happy with what Audi has been doing as of late (R8, the new TT), I never really thought of the A4 originally, also I was under the false assumption it was only available in AWD and tiptronic. Friend suggested I try it and I'm really glad he did! Picked this up yesterday after work after waiting for shipping:

It has really good pickup (258lb-ft@1500), not a LOT of horsepower but more than enough for me (211@5300) as I'm a relatively 'reasonable' driver. Also being the 2.0T it's a blast to drive and returns pretty good mileage. Of course that wasn't the forefront issue in my mind, but it's a nice added bonus! Handling is sharp and direct and on par with the 3 I tested in MOST situations. Honestly, the 3 would *probably* edge out for handling in higher speeds than I normally do. That's probably at least in part due to the slightly uneven weight distribution in the new A4; which is something like 46/54 or something I believe.

The ride is a nice blend of comfy yet firm. The features (I got the tech package on a 2.0T premium trim) trounce the 3 for the price and actually it has more in it than the 5 I tried! The computer system is much nicer/quicker to use than iDrive also, which makes me pretty happy! The interior is also much cleaner now that they did away with the manual parking brake and are using the electromechanical one. The road and wind noise is also really low, even at highway speeds, which is probably why I have my complaint of the 5 series' noise level.

I could probably go on way longer than this about reasons why it's a good fit for me, but it's already a friggen long post! I guess when you're moving from a base model Chevy Aveo hatchback to this it's a bit exciting. Also, I didn't mean anywhere in here to bash the other cars mentioned (unless where warranted). They're all really good in their own right. It pretty much comes down to personal choice in a lot of situations. So if I offended anyone with my opinions then please remember that's all they are, my opinions.
    Last edited by Pahnda; 06-03-2009 at 09:55 AM.

My Ride
    /85' Corolla GTS AE86 - 20V /06' X-Runner

Congrats! The car looks beautiful

Ray

Nice ride!

My Ride
    6.2L V8

gorgeous car man. i love the wavy lights in the headlights. i saw that a couple years ago in europe before it was out here and i absolutely loved it, and was wondering when they would come out here. congrats!

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Congrats! That car is beautiful!

Thanks guys! Black on black is the best I think. I was debating white on black or black on black but the taillights with white paint look a bit odd.

Right now I'm trying to decide on if I should get the Audi Care package or not. I have 1 year/20,000kms to decide.

Pretty much it's like prepaying for maintenance. It covers the 4 service points after my first (free) one at 8,000km / 1yr. The package is $750, it's transferable if I sell the car and it can be used at any dealership...

I guess I could just phone to ask what the labour cost and typical parts cost are for each service for comparison but does anyone have any thoughts?

My Ride
    has three pedals.

Very nice! German cars FTW.

That's quite the upgrade over you last, no doubt about it.

My Ride
    03' B6

Congrats on the car..

I believe Audi operates on $60/hour on labour, that is what the service person told me. Her name is Anna Billione (?) at the Royal Oak Audi.

My Ride
    V167

Ballerrrr

I saw one of these the other day and fell in love, beautiful ride!

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

Nice car!!!!
    I really love the new A4's. I was actually thinking about buying one before.

My Ride
    09 e92 335i

Love the new A4's.

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Congrats ... nice ride.
    Autosignature

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Congrats.

I found that this iteration of the A4 was a little too big and a little under powered with the 2.0T. Nothing a chip can't fix!

My Ride
    2004 Passat W8 4Motion/06 Touareg V8.

Nice car, went to see them oveer the weekend. didnt know they have 258 torque out of a 2.0T thats amazing!!! i also like the interior a lot more compare to the last gen. how much was the purchase price if you dont mind telling?

My Ride
    4Runner

Originally posted by benyl
    Congrats.

I found that this iteration of the A4 was a little too big and a little under powered with the 2.0T. Nothing a chip can't fix!
    what kind of chips are available for the a4 2.0t that are reasonably priced?

Edit: Did some research on google and found this

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_up...tfsi_long.html
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4396248
    373HP/340TQ!
    Last edited by bashir26; 06-03-2009 at 05:15 PM.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    Always wanted a celica? Or just since you got your first period?

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Nice wheels man !
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

240SXLUV, all in it was 48k even. Sadly I didn't qualify for their supplier employee purchase program (forget what it was actually called) but I did have a CCC report, so I got roughly 6.5% off MSRP.

I have a shitty story though; car is going in tomorrow to get a quote on getting the bumper touched up. Some guy in a 2002 maxima slid into me from behind at an intersection.

Anyway, the guy followed me to the dealership that was relatively close by so I photocopied his insurance slip, his drivers license, got his cell number and his license plate number. So I should be set in the off chance he tries to weasel out. I'll post up how it turns out when I get my baby back... but to be honest, it could have been worse, I was lucky that the clutch was disengaged and the tranny wasn't in a gear and that he was probably only doing like 6kmh!

Nothing underneath looks warped, cracked or different from factory. I checked underneath an A4 in the showroom to make sure any of the stuff that looked questionable matched up with how it looks from factory, haha. Plus the guy from the service department said something that minor would have no impact on anything that I should worry about

You can probably tell I have very little experience with collisions :P
    Last edited by Pahnda; 06-03-2009 at 07:45 PM.

My Ride
    //M

looks sweet! good choice.
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

My Ride
    14 fit, 11 Ridgeline, 12 outlander

god i could fornacate with those headlights they are so sexy
    Originally posted by Unknown303
    Everything makes me upset.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    Nonsense. You've all got slanty eyes, play Starcraft, speak Chinese and eat nothing but sushi and ginger beef.

DON'T TRY AND CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast