Friday Practice 1 01:00 - 02:30
    Friday Practice 2 05:00 - 06:30

Sat 06 June 2009
    Saturday Practice 02:00 - 03:00
    Qualifying 05:00

Sun 07 June 2009
    Race 06:00

The Race
    Turkey made its debut on the Formula One calendar in 2005 with an all-new purpose-built circuit in Istanbul. The spectacular 5.378 kilometre track was designed by famed German architect Hermann Tilke, the man behind Sepang, Bahrain and Shanghai, and features 14 turns - eight lefts and six rights - with the cars reaching speeds of up to 330 km/h.

An unusual feature of the venue is that the lap runs anti-clockwise, making the Turkish Grand Prix one of only two races on the calendar to do so ( Brazil being the other). It possesses a wide variety of corners - including the notorious multi-apex Turn Eight - and while perhaps not as technical as, say, Shanghai, it definitely provides the drivers with real challenge.

The character of the circuit is further enhanced by plenty of gradients - the track is built on four different ground levels. There may be fewer obvious overtaking opportunities than at some other Tilke circuits - it doesn't feature the long straights followed by tight hairpins that characterise the likes of Sepang and Shanghai - but the potential for a driver under pressure to make a mistake here means no shortage of passing.

As you'd expect from a new venue, spectator facilities are impressive - organisers knew they had to rival the very high standards set by Bahrain and China. Seating capacity is around 130,000, with 25,000 of those in the main grandstand, and parking is available for 12,000 cars. Dominating the circuit's skyline are two seven-floor VIP towers at either end of the paddock.

Track Stats

Laps 58
    Circuit length 5.338 km (3.317 mi)
    Race length 309.396 km (192.250 mi)
    Most wins (drivers) Felipe Massa (3)
    Most wins (constructors) Ferrari (3)
    Lap record: 1:24.770 (Juan Pablo Montoya, McLaren, 2005)

2008 Results

Pole position
    Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:27.617

Podium
    1. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1h 26m 49.451s (213.808 km/h)
    2. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes +3.779s
    3. Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari +4.271s

Fastest lap
    Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 1:26.506

Previous Winners

2008 Felipe Massa Ferrari
    2007 Felipe Massa Ferrari
    2006 Felipe Massa Ferrari
    2005 Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes

Weather
    Thu 14:40 Brightening skies and rising temperatures are predicted this weekend as the FIA Formula 1 World Championship moves to Turkey for the seventh round of the 2009 season.

The expected mid-week dip in the weather occurred today, as a band of cloud and rain moved across the area from Bulgaria and Greece. A thunderstorm advisory has been issued for Istanbul this evening, but any showers will quickly die away as the cloud and rain spreads east.

As we move towards the race weekend, conditions will improve dramatically as an area of high pressure moves up from north Africa, spreading across the country during the event - giving increasing temperatures in strong sunshine.

On Friday, clear skies and occasional scattered cloud will return to the Istanbul region. The practice sessions will take place in pleasant conditions and a maximum temperature of 27 degrees Celsius.

Saturday and Sunday see the high pressure becoming more prominent, with a guarantee of wall-to-wall sunshine and temperatures becoming very warm - 30 degrees for qualifying and up to 32 Celsius for the race.

In summary, a hot and dry weekend is to be expected.

Synoptic trend

The week begins with a large area of high pressure extending north into Turkey from North Africa. On Wednesday, conditions will become less settled for a time with the arrival of a weak low bringing patchy rain late on Wednesday and into Thursday. Friday will see high pressure steadily building from the south again, improving conditions throughout the weekend.

Detailed forecast

The build-up to the practice sessions this week will be punctuated by showers and some patchy rain late on Wednesday and through most of the media day on Thursday.

Friday will see conditions improving, with some patches of cloud and good spells of sunshine. Temperatures will be on the rise again following the midweek wobble with the rain, with a predicted maximum of 24 degrees Celsius.

On Saturday and Sunday the improvement will continue, with increasing amounts of sunshine, little in the way of cloud cover and rising temperatures - heading towards 30 degrees for the race.

The track temperature will of course increase throughout the weekend with the improving weather. For the last three years at this circuit, the asphalt temperature has been 17 or 18 degrees higher than that in the air. Therefore, it is reasonable to expect track temps to peak at around 41 degrees on Friday, rising to 45 Celsius on Sunday for the race.

My Ride
    Eagle Talon

one week early, you must be really board haha

yeah, I'm bored. A week of discussion leading up to GP isn't bad either.

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Damn.. gonna have to watch last years again to jog my memory of the track.. haha!

My Ride
    Q7

I was gonna go back home and i bought 5 tickets to see F1 with my brothers. I had to cancel my plane ticket due to immigration documents. I tried cancelling the F1 as well, they would but not refund. I am missing the race.

My Ride
    Audi A4, Lawn Boy with Honda GCV160

Check out the Formula1.com Gallery for last year's race. They've got a couple of great photos of Fisichella flying over top of Nakajima.

2008 Turkish GP Gallery from Formula1.com

That always drives my dad nuts: "They spend millions of dollars to put a car on the grid and then they don't make it past the first corner!"

My Ride
    Eagle Talon

New Toyota rear wing and Renault rear body work
    Apparently Renault is planning a big aero update this weekend. cant wait to see some more pics

old

new
    Last edited by ryanallan; 06-04-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Uh, is that exhaust legal?

EDIT: I imagine they'll fix it when they finish the update.

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

This 2 week wait between races is killing me!

anybody watching FP1 right now?

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Originally posted by buh_buh
    anybody watching FP1 right now?
    I just finished watching my downloaded copy... Entertaining... Interesting results... Then again Brawn sandbags every testing session, so no surprise to barely see them in the top 10...

My Ride
    Eagle Talon

ughhh I am having trouble keeping up with all these aero updates haha

Toyota

old diffuser

new

McLaren

old diffuser

new

BMW

old turning vane

new - i guess you could also spot new wheel covers and a front under tray

old diffuser

new

Ferrari

old diffuser

new
    Last edited by ryanallan; 06-05-2009 at 07:38 PM.

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Ferrari's diffuser seem very "plain jane" compared to everyone elses..

And Mclaren is back to their symetrical exhaust ports.

My Ride
    Eagle Talon

Ya Ferrari is difinatly going a different way with their diffuser.
    There is a huge "hole", looks like they are really taking advantage of that route.

something new on the Williams

My Ride
    Audi A4, Lawn Boy with Honda GCV160

Good to be able to watch FP2 on Speed HD again!

Never can believe anything you see on Friday, but it looks like the harder tire is better. Bob Varsha speculated that the soft compound may be better once some rubber gets down on the track.

Saw a reply of FP1 where they had to red flag the session because the astroturf beside the track was getting ripped up. Hope that doesn't happen during the race. Reminded me of that drain cover incident - had to Google it and found there were two. During practice in Turkey in 2007 and Montoya hit one during the race in China in 2005.

Vettel only did four laps before he stopped on track due to "an undisclosed mechanical problem." Hope they get that figured out so the Brawns have somebody to race.

A a little bit of comedy at the end, with Nakajima and Fisichella bumping together and spinning. Don't know what they were up to, but hopefully it generates some bad blood.

Looking forward to qualifying to see what the truth is!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

WTF McLaren. Pulls a Ferrari, puts Hamilton on the Hard tires for Q3. Here's a hint. You have a slow car, get out of Q3 first! Don't take this stupid risks.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

haha these announcers here are so clueless.

Kubica scores fastest S1. "Kubica's on his way to take pole by a mile!"
    Kubica struggles turn 8 S2, like 1/2 second off (poor aero).
    Kubica finishes the lap P4.

"He lost a lot of time in the slow sections. The mechanical grip on his car must be really poor".

lol they need to learn to look at sector times instead of total time that flashes on the screen.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Vettel takes Pole!!

WTF was wrong with Mclaren today?!... Hamilton should have atleast made it to Q2, and Kovy should have been into Q3...

At least Massa's domination should come to an end this year..

Curious to see the race weights.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Free practice doesn't mean shit, that's what happened.

Vettel is such a good driver. If he was in a Brawn, Button would have no chance.

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Originally posted by rage2
    Free practice doesn't mean shit, that's what happened.

Vettel is such a good driver. If he was in a Brawn, Button would have no chance.
    It's gonna be tricky getting the pool picks right this week... so many guys sliding around the track, even in quali.... One tiny mistake and you could easily go from 1st to 5-6th...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast