Quantcast
Bringing my dog to the states - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Bringing my dog to the states

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

Default Bringing my dog to the states

At the end of June my wife and I are heading to BC to see some family and we are taking our dog with us. During our trip we plan on going to the states to go shopping for a weekend.

Does anyone know what I need to have to bring my dog across the border, if anything?

Domestic dogs must be free of evidence of diseases communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry. If the animal is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at the owner's expense.

Dogs must be vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days before entering the United States. This requirement does not apply, however, to puppies less than three months of age or to dogs originating or located for at least six months in areas designated by the U.S. Public Health Service as being rabies-free.

The following procedures pertain to dogs arriving from areas that are not free of rabies:

1. A valid rabies vaccination certificate should accompany the animal. This certificate should be in English or be accompanied by a translation. It should identify the animal, the dates of vaccination and expiration, and be signed by a licensed veterinarian. If no expiration date is specified, the certificate is acceptable if the date of vaccination is no more than 12 months before the date of arrival.

2. If a vaccination has not been performed, or if the certificate is not valid, the animal may be admitted if it is confined immediately upon arrival at a place of the owner's choosing. The dog must be vaccinated within four days after arrival at the final destination, but no more than 10 days after arrival at the port of entry. The animal must remain in confinement for at least 30 days after being vaccinated.

3. If the vaccination was performed less than 30 days before arrival, the animal may be admitted but must be confined at a place of the owner's choosing until at least 30 days have passed since the vaccination.

Young puppies must be confined at a place of the owner's choosing until they are three months old, then they must be vaccinated. They must remain in confinement for 30 days.

Dogs that arrive in Hawaii or Guam, both of which are free of rabies, are subject to the state's or territory's quarantine requirements, in addition to whatever other Public Health Service requirements, above, apply.

http://foreignborn.com/visas_imm/ent...ingyourpet.htm

My Ride
    '03 Altima, '07 F150

We've taken our dog down to the States at least a dozen times. So far they haven't even looked at him. They've only ever asked if he bites. We always take his medical records with us just in case but haven't had to produce them yet.
    R.I.P. Mercedes-Rae Clarke
    Nov 91 - Sept 05

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

Cool,
    Thanks alot

Originally posted by Black_ZX2
    We've taken our dog down to the States at least a dozen times. So far they haven't even looked at him. They've only ever asked if he bites. We always take his medical records with us just in case but haven't had to produce them yet.

And on the other side of the coin, the first time I took my dog across the border, they asked for the hounds records.

Yup, just tell your vet you are crossing into the states and they will give you the paperwork providing all shots are up to date.

My Ride
    2003 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

Your dog will need it's passport, just like everybody else, so make sure it's up to date.

My Ride
    your mom

you will find the cost of this to be anywhere from

$60-$150

vets must be one of the biggest scams in Calgary.

My Ride
    07 Subaru Special Edition Wagon / 06 WRX STI

We've taken our 2 Yorkies down to Montana and Washington many times.Never had a problem at all.We take the paperwork but like black_zx2,we've never had to show them.

I think if you were bringing a pit bull or a rottweiler though,they'd probably ask or even refuse entry.

My Ride
    2012 300C SRT8 /2015 F150 Platinum

same here, the dog even got a treat at the Yach, BC border crossing
    2014 Jeep SRT, 2015 F150 Platinum , 2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG

[Do][---+---][oD]

My Ride
    Silverado

bump!

I don't have any proof of my dogs rabies shots and I'm going to the states on Friday.

Think I'll have any issues?

TIA

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    bump!

I don't have any proof of my dogs rabies shots and I'm going to the states on Friday.

Think I'll have any issues?

TIA
    You're taking your chances if you don't. There's no way to get the records from your vet?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Silverado

I should be able to. not originally my dog and I've moved provinces, but I could possibly get the original owner to get them for me.