Quantcast
Lower leg pain - help? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Lower leg pain - help?

My Ride
    03 SVTF

Default Lower leg pain - help?

Hey guys,

I know there's a lot of gurus here and someone may be able to help me out here.

Background: I played a lot of sports when I was younger (competitive soccer for 14 years)... like alot. It's how I stayed in shape and burnt of excess energy.
    Fast forward to about 5 years ago and School and work ruled my life - no sports (not regularly anyways. This was followed by a desk job.

Now that everything has settled and I've started getting back into sports semi competitively, I'm older and discovering some pain. I'm not out of shape, but i'm neither in shape yet.

now during and after soccer games, I find a sharp pain near the base of my calf. to describe the area would be the interior area about 2 inches above my ankle. The pain is similar to shin splints, except its the inside of my leg. very rarely it also happens on the exterior side.

I was thinking it minght be weak tendons from lack of use? not fully sure though. My leg muscles are still strong but I can see my joints/tendons being weaker at this point.

Am I way off base? what can I do to help build/repair/eliminate this? It's starting to become a drag.

TIA
    Paul

My Ride
    '08 Audi A6 4.2L S-line

HOLY SHIT. This is exactly what im going through! soccer for 11 years, started playing softball and im having pains in the exact same area!

I hope you/we can get an answer.

Does it feel like its in the bone almost? if I squeeze my leg in that area its horribly painful, and aches like a mother to walk on.

I actually think its my achillies tendon that is causing the pain.

My Ride
    2002 e46

I am not sure if this helps.
    But I make sure I thoroughly stretch before and after my soccer games, and whenever I get pain in my calf, I take a sub, and lay on some icy hot gel. Usually numbs the pain until I forget about it.

My Ride
    03 SVTF

Originally posted by Tarrantula
    HOLY SHIT. This is exactly what im going through! soccer for 11 years, started playing softball and im having pains in the exact same area!

I hope you/we can get an answer.

Does it feel like its in the bone almost? if I squeeze my leg in that area its horribly painful, and aches like a mother to walk on.

I actually think its my achillies tendon that is causing the pain.

Yep, feels like it's in the bone and when i sqeeze it it's almost debilitating. Walking is achey... but not to the point that i'll take too much notice... yet!

I thought the achillies was lower and on the outside/back of the foot (correct me if I"m wrong, bio was not my area of interest). This pain is more interior. My basic thought was that while my calf muscles haven't really deteriorated, my tendons are weak from lack of use

I do stretch pretty thoroughly before and after. I discovered I'm not a young'n anymore and can't just jump out of the car and onto the field. I learned this the hard way, and won't forget again.

Any sport therapists or physiotherapists on the boards?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Is it in both legs? If yes I'd wager it to be simply an ankle mobility issue.

If not, then it's specific and could be general inflammation or something. Try an advil and see if it helps, if it does help it's likely just inflamed from under use and nothing to serious. Yet.

Then go get it checked out. Injuries are way to hard to pinpoint and asses online.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Possible you have a stress fracture. Go see the doctor before it gets any worse and causes more injury down the line.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride
    03 SVTF

AHH I was hoping Darkane would weigh in on this.

Yes, it is both legs, though much stronger pain in my right (dominant) leg. I was hoping it's just from lack of use. Since I know tendons are harder to buid than actual muscle.

I guess I'll have to get it checked out properly. Thought maybe it was just something typical. Under the category, "guy getting older still thinks he's young"

HHuricane1 - Better not be a stress fracture. That worries me. I've got pretty strong bones (never managed to break any) so i hope this is not the case. I know I'm older, but damn, that would make me start looking at old folks homes!

My Ride

Originally posted by civiclvr
    AHH I was hoping Darkane would weigh in on this.

Yes, it is both legs, though much stronger pain in my right (dominant) leg. I was hoping it's just from lack of use. Since I know tendons are harder to buid than actual muscle.

I guess I'll have to get it checked out properly. Thought maybe it was just something typical. Under the category, "guy getting older still thinks he's young"

HHuricane1 - Better not be a stress fracture. That worries me. I've got pretty strong bones (never managed to break any) so i hope this is not the case. I know I'm older, but damn, that would make me start looking at old folks homes!
    Yeah man get it checked out. If it's inside the leg that would be the soleus part of the calf. There are two parts Soleus and Gastronemius.

The soleus comes down the sides of the leg where your pain is, so it could be like I said prior, an Ankle mobility issue. However, even more complex but unlikely is a newly developed Soleus/Gastro muscle imbalance. But not likely.

http://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/var/s...e_portrait.gif

Keep us updated
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    03 SVTF

Bam! That's exactly where it hurts!

Guess I'll be seeing if I can get into a clinic this weekend sometime to get it checked.

Err... is there a good (preferable) place to get this looked at?

My Ride

Originally posted by civiclvr
    Bam! That's exactly where it hurts!

Guess I'll be seeing if I can get into a clinic this weekend sometime to get it checked.

Err... is there a good (preferable) place to get this looked at?
    I would say clinic should be the last choice, however go there if only for the reason they'll give you an X-ray for piece of mind. Then you'll know if there's a fracture.

I'd say try a physio place, or sports med place. I don't know any places in Calgary really.

Anyone know if NSD has trainers or coaches for sports injuries? You could try there too man..

National Sport Development http://www.nsd365.com/

-H.P. Lovecraft

do you have fallen arches?

My Ride
    03 SVTF

Darkane - I'll do a little research and see if I can find a place that can help.. I'll see if that NSD site can help.

Holden - No, my arches and general foot geometry hasn't changed. My arches are within average standards.