Quantcast
New sod tips - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New sod tips

My Ride
    19 GLI

Default New sod tips

I just was wondering if anybody has any tips for someone with newly installed sod such as watering tips or things to do in the first month or two. I have had my sod in for about a week and I have noticed some dead spots, and a friend says they will come back. I just wanted to see if this is normal and what things I could do to ghet it looking good quickly. I also still can see alot of gaping and sod lines and my landscape guys told me they will go away quickly.
    thanks in advance

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

The lines will go away eventually. Fertize the sod and give it a GOOD watering every few days. Dont water it everyday as you'll want to encourage the grass to grow deep roots. Watering it everyday discourages this. Like I say, with a good fertilizing the dead parts will eventually come back, and just water it causally from that point on, but be mindful of the amount of heat & sun.

On these HOT days, watering it everyday is a good idea.. if its cool or rainy out, every few days (read: twice a week) is enough.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    19 GLI

so I should fertilize right now or wait till I can walk on it. If so do you recommend a certain type of fertilizer or method to fertilzing when I should start. Sorry for the stupid questions but I have never had a lawn that I had to maintain before and I spent a bunch of money on a underground sprinkler system and landscaping so I want it to look good

My Ride

Scotts general turf fertilizer is excellent. You can get a 20kg bag of it at Home Depot for $45 or thereabouts. It'll last you probably 2-5 years depending on how big your lawn is, or how often you want to apply it. I'd say probably twice a year should be good. One in the spring (or now at least for you) and once again in late August or later.
    The cool part is that its not Granular, so if you apply too much (within reason I mean) it wont burn the lawn, you also dont HAVE to water it right away. With typical granular fertilizer you have to water it or it'll burn the turf.

You can use any type of spreader, a drop spreader (great for targeting specific areas obviously) or a rotary spreader. I'd use a rotary spreader on probably a 75% setting. You'll see results after the first week.
    Just water it twice a week (give it a good soak) like I said and you'll do fine. Let it grow until its fairly long before you start cutting it. Remember the taller the grass, the deeper the roots so give new sod a while to properly take root before cutting it. When you do cut it, just leave the mower deck on a higher setting so there is no chance of scalping the sod.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Just keep it watered and you should be good to go, don't cut it too short either when you do start to walk on it.

Also water in the evening or early morning before the sun is strong, so the water has time to soak in.

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    Also water in the evening or early morning before the sun is strong, so the water has time to soak in.
    Exactly. I see to many people watering there lawns in mid afternoon. The amount of water that evaporates before hitting your lawn on a hot sunny day is a huge.

My Ride
    '97 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Originally posted by sevewone

Exactly. I see to many people watering there lawns in mid afternoon. The amount of water that evaporates before hitting your lawn on a hot sunny day is a huge.
    And I believe the sun can also burn your grass if watered during the day?

I had always been told to water your sod lots during the first couple weeks, like twice a day. But don't take my word for it.
    Some people are funny. They spend money they don't have, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't like.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, water every two days, very deeply, and water around dawn. Invest in a water timer so you don't have to get out of bed. They are gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Originally posted by Barking_Spidre

And I believe the sun can also burn your grass if watered during the day?

I had always been told to water your sod lots during the first couple weeks, like twice a day. But don't take my word for it.
    ^ no watering it during the day will not burn the sod. Its just a waste of water, as like what was said: it just evaporates mainly.

And no like I mentioned with examples: it is not good to water twice a day. This way the grass has wont develop long roots since they would be entirely not needed.