Quantcast
Prepare for a breakaway series... the official FIA statement - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Prepare for a breakaway series... the official FIA statement

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Prepare for a breakaway series... the official FIA statement

FIA says £40m budget cap going ahead:
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76244

The full statement from the FIA:
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76254

haha ya, can't see FOTA backing down now lol. What a slap in the face by the FIA, not to mention very Jerry Springer of them haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

after all that bs the FIA still goes through with it.
    Here comes Indy-IRL the sequel.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Im cheering for a breakaway series. But how fast can they possibly have that setup and ready to go next year?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The best part was last week, Max urging the teams to drop the conditions, and he "promises" he'll work through it with the teams to give them what they want. You'd have to be retarded to fall for that one haha.

This will be a lot different than CART vs IRL. IRL had the Indy 500, which kept it alive (there's no single F1 race, not even Monaco that draws extra audiences like Indy). CART teams were allowed to race at Indy as well, so there were big names that raced helping IRL a bit.

Also, big teams from CART defected to IRL because of mismanagement of CART, including a race that was cancelled because the speeds were too fast on a high banked superspeedway, which led to its eventual demise. I think CART lost a lawsuit to that too. That was pretty much the last time I followed CART since all the big names left.

CART was killing IRL until all that crap happened.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
    Im cheering for a breakaway series. But how fast can they possibly have that setup and ready to go next year?
    They've been privately planning it for several months now. The logistics are huge, and I dunno if they can pull it off. I'm not sure which sanctioning body would take care of it, or TV stuff. It's a LOT of contracts and red tape to get things sorted out properly for next year.

FIA, FOM, and CVC (which really owns it all) will collapse fairly quickly if there's no big names racing in F1 next year, so chances are they'll cave in very fast, ask to run the new series with the F1 brand, and make a little off it (instead of taking pretty much ALL the money today). CVC will be the big loser here... F1 is valued at around 5-8 billion dollars today, which is 12-20% of CVC's assets. Pretty brutal hit for a private fund haha.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by rage2

They've been privately planning it for several months now. The logistics are huge, and I dunno if they can pull it off. I'm not sure which sanctioning body would take care of it, or TV stuff. It's a LOT of contracts and red tape to get things sorted out properly for next year.
    I dont know if they could sort out the logistics and everything by next season. Just thinking about the amount of stuff that would have to be taken care of boggles the mind.

My Ride
    Eagle Talon

i read last week that the FOTA approached the organizers of motoGP. seems like a good idea . . .

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...08195413.shtml

DORNA knows how to organize events every bit as big as F1. Moto-GP is HUGE in Europe bringing in audiences as big or bigger than F1 does. Just the same sh*t different pile.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride
    Audi A4, Lawn Boy with Honda GCV160

Hmmm, looking at this from another perspective, if FOTA and FIA do both manage to run, we'll have twice as many races to watch!

Maybe Canadian and U.S. GP's again?

Originally posted by Chris Elyea
    Hmmm, looking at this from another perspective, if FOTA and FIA do both manage to run, we'll have twice as many races to watch!

Maybe Canadian and U.S. GP's again?
    Montreal may be back next year:
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/st...rand-prix.html
    ---

My Ride

I would assume that all the current F1 tracks has contacts with FIA, but will they be able to host races for the breakaway series?

Even then, there are quite a few world class tracks that will not be hosting F1 races next year, Paul Ricard, Magny-Cours, Silverstone, Indy, Montreal etc.

My Ride
    Audi A4, Lawn Boy with Honda GCV160

I would assume that all the current F1 tracks has contacts with FIA
    Oh, there will be lawsuits, lots of 'em! That's what's next, assuming no last minute deal. FIA/FOM already claim to have contracts with Williams, Ferrari, Red Bull, and Toro Rosso that run through the 2011 season. Williams agreed, giving that as their reason for signing on unconditionally. Ferrari has already lost one suit against the FIA over the budget cap.

Yeah, there are a lot of world class tracks out there. Bernie has been having fun playing them against each other, so they'll welcome some competition for him.

My Ride
    W220, W220, R171 AMG, W203 AMG

Confirmed.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76292

I really don't know how F1 can survive without all the factory teams. The FOTA is very true in saying that the teams have made F1 what it is.

update on "The Sun"

Formula 1 on brink of collapse
    FORMULA ONE was in meltdown last night after eight of its 10 teams confirmed they are to form a breakaway series.

Their decision will cause the greatest controversy and upheaval in the sport's 60-year history.

Following a meeting late in the evening, the eight teams that currently form the Formula One Team's Association - Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Brawn GP, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso - have all declined to enter F1 for 2010.

The row started last year as FOTA disputed the FIA's plans to enforce budget and technical changes in 2010.

Despite weeks of negotiations with FIA president Max Mosley, the two bodies have failed to find a compromise, leaving the sport in total chaos.

A FOTA statement said last night: "It has become clear, the teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport.

"Since the formation of FOTA last September the teams have worked together and sought to engage the FIA and commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone, to develop and improve the sport.

"Unprecedented worldwide financial turmoil has inevitably placed great challenges before the F1 community.

"FOTA is proud that it has achieved the most substantial measures to reduce costs in the history of our sport.

"But these teams have no alternative other than to commence preparation for a new championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners.

"The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."

source: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-collapse.html
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Press release is now on the FOTA website. Nice going FIA.

http://www.teamsassociation.org/pres.../press-release

Don't blame this entirely on the FIA. There's an equal amount of stubbornness on both sides of the argument and each party is just trying to look out for their best interests.

Originally posted by kenny

Montreal may be back next year:
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/st...rand-prix.html
    and they will be booted the year after that .

Coming back to the topic, both sides need a bigger piece of the bone in this intricate argument. FIA is not the only culprit.

My Ride

Actually, FOTA's latest offer to FIA is very reasonable. The main issue is Max Mosley and the governing body of FIA. FOTA is tired of this shit happening every year so they are demanding stability which Max Mosley fails to compromise.

Im excited to see which tracks will feature the new series!!

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Great, the one year ill be in Europe PLANNING ON ATTENDING F1 races.... no teams will be around to watch. Fuck
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

Actually, FOTA's latest offer to FIA is very reasonable.
    Link.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast