Quantcast
Chippy Auto Appearance - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Chippy Auto Appearance

Thumbs up Chippy Auto Appearance

So my car got bumped slightly a while ago, actually less than 24hrs after taking possession. Some may remember me mentioning it in another thread I made recently. The damage was really minor as it looked like a shopping cart could have done more damage and was found to be only superficial and confined to the rear bumper itself. So in itself it wasn't an amazing job to restore it to it's former beauty.

So after the scrape I talked to Paul in the service department at Glenmore Audi to get a recommendation of where to go. First of all, Paul is a really helpful guy; even though Glenmore doesn't have a body shop or anything he said to come in with the guy that scraped me and he would photocopy his license, insurance papers, etc... as well as taking a look at the damage and based on that where I should go to get it fixed up like new. Upon seeing how minor it was, he recommended Chippy Auto Appearance. I didn't find anything on them when I searched beyond, except a passing mention by someone, so I thought I may as well give everyone my take on them based on my experience.

I drove in to Chippy about a week and a half ago to get a quote. The damage was appraised without setting anything special up, then set up the appointment for today. Luckily the guy that scraped me was good about it and paid me $380 for the quote, in cash, which came in at just under $375.

I drove the car in this morning at 8:30am then they dropped me off at a c-train so I could get to work at a decent time. This is pretty good to start with as they don't actually have a shuttle service. One of the employees, Cliff, (again, another great guy to deal with and really personable) drove me to a station.

Cliff phoned me around 1PM and said they were done. He arranged to pick me up at the same station around 2PM. I left in enough time, got picked up, and just hopped over to Chippy to grab my car and pay for the mending.

I obviously wanted to check it out so I looked over the bumper, and even though I memorized (or so I thought) exactly where the damage was, I couldn't see anything, the paint was, as far as I could see, perfectly matched and blended, and it looked like the day I drove it off the lot.

I drove back to work, then took a closer look at the bumper as the rain was pretty minimal where I work. I got right in close until I could see all of the dirt which the rain had washed down onto the bumper and again could not discern any difference at any spot on the bumper.

Cliff notes:
    Perfect (to my eye so far) work for $375 including tax for the rashing, two circular scrapes, and a few lines scraped in due to a maxima that couldn't quite brake as fast as me; plus prompt and professional employees.

Also, since I realize this thread is useless without pics I took a before picture of the areas and the bumper as a whole. And when it's less shitty out, I'll take some after pictures. I'll also take an unreasonably close inspection of the bumper when it's clean and bone dry.

EDIT: The location in question is at 11 - 920 - 28th Street NE
    Last edited by Pahnda; 06-17-2009 at 09:52 AM.

My Ride
    my bike

thanks for the info, i have some paint that needs refinishing from someone scraping me in a parking lot too.

yea chippys is great for small jobs

My Ride
    96 Mystic Cobra and 96 Mustang GT

i hope you like chipping clear

Which location are you talking about?

Originally posted by Drsuce
    i hope you like chipping clear
    Good thing they guarantee their work

Originally posted by im2fst4u
    Which location are you talking about?
    The original location at 11 - 920 - 28th Street NE... that would have been a good thing to put in the original post, haha...

Here are the pictures!

Before:

After:

The middle bottom area of the 2nd picture is where the crap happened, now you can't see anything from it! Not a stunning job as the damage was pretty minor but still pretty good.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

That IS pretty good work.

Myself, I probably would have bought a $10 touchup paint stick. But then, I'm cheap.

Just as a side note guys: Obviously, it is hardly a repaint of your car and would not have worked in all of this case. However, on two occasions now, I've managed to remove noticable series of scrapes and scuffs using a Mr. Clean magic eraser. I bet it would have got most of this scrape out - except where it obviously wore through on the left.

Next time you get a little scrape and maybe some paint transfer or something, try it out.

I know many people are going to say it can't do something like this. But really - those little pads truly are one of the best products I've ever used, and the product almost stands up to the name.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to keep that mind in case someone transfers some paint in a parking lot or something.

I mainly took it to a shop since the guy that bumped me paid for it all, but yeah, I'm happy with the work that they did at Chippy! I guess that's why they have a bunch of testimonials from many of the dealerships in town.

My Ride
    Lease

More pics of the girl in the reflection

^^
    Haha, should have expected that... She didn't quite take to that idea though, haha.