Quantcast
drywall differences - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: drywall differences

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    317
    Rep Power
    15

    Default drywall differences

    Do any of you guys know if there is a difference between drywall?rona sells it for $13 a sheet(4x8x1/2") and at that home inprovement place theyre selling it for $10. I'm developing my basement and would like some info if you guys got it.
    Originally posted by 89coupe


    LOL, $95 for two sounds pretty damn cheap to me. Is this not including any drinks or something?

    Are you guys all students on a budget or something?

    My lunch tab is that much for two people.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    GrandForks BC
    My Ride
    Audi 5000 QT
    Posts
    895
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Why dose walmart sell a loaf of bread for $2.47 and 7/11 Sells for $3.99?


    Places have differant prices..

    www.boostedalberta.com
    =[[Beyonds Dirtiest Daily Driver]]=
    Originally posted by dj_rice
    OOP or whatever that Out of Province Inspection is called

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,011
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    none

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Airdrie
    Posts
    220
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Drywall is all the Same, different Stores have different % mark-up and different Distribution costs.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    317
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I thought there wasnt either but one contractor we got an estimate from told me there was drywall out there that was made in china and contained toxins that could be harmful, we never went with him but i was just curious to know. Thanks
    Originally posted by 89coupe


    LOL, $95 for two sounds pretty damn cheap to me. Is this not including any drinks or something?

    Are you guys all students on a budget or something?

    My lunch tab is that much for two people.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    400
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Here's probably what they were referring to.

    http://www.canada.com/Health/Toxic+C...648/story.html

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition
    Posts
    1,435
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally posted by Hamann
    Drywall is all the Same, different Stores have different % mark-up and different Distribution costs.
    wrong

    there are 2 main manufacturers of drywall in canada, for the life of me I can't remember them

    one is a bit more flexible than the other


    I've done my fair share of drywall to know what I'm talking about.

    But in essence they both wall up a frame and drywall mudd adheres to it. Most of the properties are the same.

    One may contain a bit more fibres and more soap (creates air bubbles) for a lighter weight and more flexibility. So these sheets will be a dollar or 2 more per sheet.

    Been a while since I've used my tools, so I assume not much has changed since.
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!


    Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    08 VQ35HR
    Posts
    765
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    There are differences in thickness: 1/2" (standard walls) vs 5/8" (ceilings) and for different application: regular walls vs bathroom walls.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Airdrie
    Posts
    220
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by barmanjay


    wrong

    there are 2 main manufacturers of drywall in canada, for the life of me I can't remember them

    one is a bit more flexible than the other


    I've done my fair share of drywall to know what I'm talking about.

    But in essence they both wall up a frame and drywall mudd adheres to it. Most of the properties are the same.

    One may contain a bit more fibres and more soap (creates air bubbles) for a lighter weight and more flexibility. So these sheets will be a dollar or 2 more per sheet.

    Been a while since I've used my tools, so I assume not much has changed since.
    Someone drywalling their basement does not need to worry about the Semantics about the % of whatever in the Gypsum Board.

    OP All you need to worry about is buying it and throwing it up.

    I only ever worked in Commercial so i am not sure about the requirements for fire rating your basement, but i think all you need is half inch (i would check into that before buying)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Sausage Wagon
    Posts
    509
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Waterboard is extra money, that's for bathrooms and backsplashes etc.

    Originally posted by teamPRO


    howbout suck my black kettle...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    YWG
    Posts
    3,119
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Originally posted by barmanjay


    wrong

    there are 2 main manufacturers of drywall in canada, for the life of me I can't remember them

    one is a bit more flexible than the other
    Domtar would be one of them.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    317
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I found a guy that did it for $0.27sq/ft or $8.64 a sheet delivered with sheet rock drywall I think.
    Originally posted by 89coupe


    LOL, $95 for two sounds pretty damn cheap to me. Is this not including any drinks or something?

    Are you guys all students on a budget or something?

    My lunch tab is that much for two people.

Similar Threads

  1. LF: drywall contractor

    By neely in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Latest Threads: 01-22-2007, 07:14 PM
  2. Wanted: Drywall finisher

    By 78si in forum Careers
    Replies: 9
    Latest Threads: 09-15-2005, 04:34 PM
  3. WTB: Drywall Panels

    By PureDeXteritY in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 08-23-2005, 05:31 PM
  4. Drywall Question

    By lastprodigy in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Latest Threads: 04-28-2005, 04:29 PM
  5. Drywall question

    By Khyron in forum General
    Replies: 58
    Latest Threads: 08-31-2004, 08:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •