Quantcast
RCMP, dozens of CPS, K9, HAWCS, a locked down mall - how the hell did they get away?! - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: RCMP, dozens of CPS, K9, HAWCS, a locked down mall - how the hell did they get away?!

Flip it, if the CPS had continued with the Vehicle pursuit instead of only following with the Helicopter there would have been a exponentially greater chance of collateral damage (being loss of innocent life or a massive lawsuit against the city) and then 90% of the people in this thread would be saying why didn't they just pull back, get over it, 2 Car Theives got away, big deal. Atleast this way i don't have to hear everyone saying the CPS put citizens in danger and look what happened.

And their 2 car theives running from the cops, they were of no danger to anyone in the mall, while running from the cops the stupidest thing you can do is stop and grab a hostage.

I say Props to the CPS for not trying to emulate the "I can be on the TV" sheriffs in the states.

I guess this ends the whole you can't outrun the radio argument

My Ride
    gets 36 mpg!

In a sealed mall, I could find the guys. There must have been eyewitnesses....?

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Originally posted by tarrantas
    In a sealed mall, I could find the guys. There must have been eyewitnesses....?
    Ever stop to think that the mall WASN'T sealed? It takes a hell of a lot of cops to seal a mall of that size. In the time needed to get that many cops on the scene, the bad guys could get away, especially having changed clothes, because I don't think the CPS had perfect descriptions of these guys if you don't include the clothing.

My Ride
    4 doors, 4 cylinders

People are making it seem like the CPS planned to have bodies on hand for this event.

It's not like they had a week to set aside 20 car crews for this chase. It is a dynamic situation, where most cars in the city are tied up doing something probably 80% of the time. That leaves at MOST 20% of cars free to deal with new stuff, then that expands to probably 40-50% when guys can clear up what they're doing quickly to help out.

50% of the cars in the district, on any given day, isn't enough to really shut down that whole mall. I'm not sure the exact scenario in this case, but I would imagine guys from other districts were yanked over to help out.

That being said, my original point still stands, this is a dynamic, ever changing situation, and everyone here has had a few days to think of what they would do differently.

It's a whole new ball game when you're planning on the fly, and don't have 3 days to sit on an internet forum and debate other options.
    Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Originally posted by phil98z24

...and ended them without 01 knowing? Hahah, haven't we all... unofficially of course. Sometimes in the interests of doing the right thing you have to push it a bit, so I'm with you on that one.

I'm going to shoot you a PM.
    Hey at least you guys have support from 01 when shit goes down, he's still one of you ......Our sierras shit on us for the smallest things......
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by Hamann
    I say Props to the CPS for not trying to emulate the "I can be on the TV" sheriffs in the states.

Couple car thieves aren't worth a life.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    MK7 Oryx White R, 79 Austin Mini Cooper

Originally posted by lilmira
    They probably wrapped their heads with towels, put fake beard and shoe polish on their faces and walked right out.
    wow did anyone else find this extremely racist????

My Ride
    4 doors, 4 cylinders

Originally posted by IntegraG2

If the guys were black, and he had said 'they ran inside, covered their faces in flour, grabbed a briefcase and walked out'... would THAT be racist?

He never really said anything derogatory. He described a disguise... nothing really RACIST.

I think the racist card is thrown around a little willy-nilly these days.
    Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Originally posted by JustGo

If the guys were black, and he had said 'they ran inside, covered their faces in flour, grabbed a briefcase and walked out'... would THAT be racist?

He never really said anything derogatory. He described a disguise... nothing really RACIST.

I think the racist card is thrown around a little willy-nilly these days.

Originally posted by TurboMedic

Hey at least you guys have support from 01 when shit goes down, he's still one of you ......Our sierras shit on us for the smallest things......
    Amen buddy, I have heard nothing but bad things about your management, including your street bosses... not cool!

Originally posted by lilmira
    They probably wrapped their heads with towels, put fake beard and shoe polish on their faces and walked right out.
    That sounds like a funny Team America reference to me, nothing racist...

Anyways, I think this situation didn't exactly end the way it should have nor was it necessarily run the way that I perceive it should have been - but that is why I'm a lowly street guy and not the one with stripes on my arm or pips on my shoulder... not to say my experiences and knowledge doesn't bear weight, but in the end it sometimes isn't worth the risk to the public to do a full on pursuit where we would have had a 99.9% chance of catching him, but with a very high risk factor to do it.

Just remember this - this guy attempted to take out a cop, and they still didn't think it was worth it. That right there shows how important public safety is, and despite what some people think, that we do accept in certain situations that we choose to do this job and put ourselves in harms way from time to time and that things that happen to us are not necessarily more important than everyone else's safety.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

No, I do find you overly sensitive though.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    MK7 Oryx White R, 79 Austin Mini Cooper

Wow I guess I interpreted that pretty wrong then.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by phil98z24
    ...Just remember this - this guy attempted to take out a cop,...
    How did he attempt to take out a cop? The officer probably ran to the middle of the road to throw the spike belt, and got too close to the action. Not defending the suspects, just saying that its highly unlikely that the driver saw the cop and gunned for him.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Wow I guess I interpreted that pretty wrong then.
    Yes, you did.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-13-2019 at 04:56 PM.

Originally posted by Godfuader

How did he attempt to take out a cop? The officer probably ran to the middle of the road to throw the spike belt, and got too close to the action. Not defending the suspects, just saying that its highly unlikely that the driver saw the cop and gunned for him.
    The RCMP officer was on the side of the highway away from the action and the vehicle swerved towards him and accelerated, and he had to get out of the way - I think that shows pretty clear intent.

Sugarphreak, I agree with some of the things you are saying but as you say we are very handcuffed by the policies that are in place, and we don't have alot of say in "touchy" matters such as pursuits. It's a very polarizing issue, and alot of the civilian members of the police commission don't think the risks are worth the reward.

We have ways to end these things as it was proven last year during the car jacking, but the people who control our destiny have spoken and they don't like it unless absolutely necessary. It's frustrating.

My Ride
    06 Avalon

i was coming back to calgary and witnessed most of this
    i was so confused at first as to why the chopper was there then highway to edmonton was closed off n then all these cops did a u-turn and the chopper started coming down really close to something
    but never saw the truck till it hit those spikes
    cops were rolling those up as i drove past them
    my cousin has some videos on his bb bold from this but dont think its good footage will post in a day or two

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybea...150712_21527_0

Ryan Joseph LAVECK, 28, of Calgary, has been charged with
    failure to stop for police, theft over $5,000 and dangerous
    operation of a motor vehicle.

Busted.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast