Quantcast
Importing Nissan Skyline from NZ - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Importing Nissan Skyline from NZ

Default Importing Nissan Skyline from NZ

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if I'll have any problems importing my 1990 GTS4 Skyline from New Zealand. I'm considering coming to live in Canada and don't want to sell the skyline, had It for over 8 years now.

Does Canada have tough emissions and front impact standards like New Zealand? Because that's what stops a lot of people here from importing R32 GTR's.

My GTS4 has quite a few mods like aftermarket shock's, computer, bigger turbo etc.. again, is this going to be a problem??

Thanks in advance.

I don't think you would have a problem, you'll have to get an out of province inspection done etc.

having said that there are many r32's over here,some nice others are just junk.
    some heavily modified others stock.

Which city are you planning to live in?

Havent decided yet mate, maybe BC area but i'm open to suggestions.. Just finished university and it's time I left this place and did something different.. Also, can anyone tell me the current legal ride height for vehicles in Canada? or is it different depending on where you go. Mines under 100mm at the front so I better ask.

My Ride
    FB6

No there's no ride height restrictions.

Since your car is over 15 years old, you would be able to get by with minimal requirements.

Stuff you would need off the top of my head would be daytime running lights and I believe BC is anal about DOT approved headlights.

I probably missed some other things though.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

pics of your skyline?

just put it on my avatar too

daytime running lights? I dont get it.

Last edited by Vanilla_Rice; 06-23-2009 at 06:29 PM.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

our cars must have front lights running at all times pretty much whatever you want iirc just as long as they're on, the only thing in vancouver and the fraser valley you have to do Aircare emission inspections, come live in alberta, we dont give an f about emissions lol

does canada have any laws regarding how many resonators you need? for excessively loud cars etc? I just have 1 resonator + muffler

My Ride
    reebok Jams

Originally posted by Vanilla_Rice
    does canada have any laws regarding how many resonators you need? for excessively loud cars etc? I just have 1 resonator + muffler
    No not especially, the police can smash you with the odd modified muffler ticket for having an over sized exhaust outlet or being too loud(this is to the Officers judgement because they obviously dont carry decibel meters). Other than that i believe the exhaust must at least have a Muffler and a Catalytic converter to pass inspection.

we dont have issues with ride height or emissions, your biggest issue will be the day light lights(and possibly some non-DOT legal lights/ windsheild), and the police attention that will follow with having a nissan skyline which is modded. Too many youngsters who have been whipping around the streets in these damaging their reputation for a while.

Good luck, car looks clean!

RIDES: 94' EH2: Sold, 98' DC4 sold, 93 S13 sold, 93 S14 the lead sled

1992 Honda EG6 SiR for sale!:ONLY! $4900.00Message me for more info!

My Ride
    1990 240sx

in alberta it cannot be lowered more the 1.5" from stock to pass out of provence. and day time running lights and dot approved head and tail lights. the exhaust is a hard one, depends on who dose the inspection.

My Ride
    1982 Chevette

For the most part your going to be fine, i think you will have to remove the tinting on the front windshield and front drivers/passenger side windows for the inspection. You will also need to install a day time driving lights. ( i believe they sell chips or something like that in Canada/online)

The only other thing I could see as a problem is bringing the car here, I don't think it will be all that cheap... It might be better to move here for a couple months, have life setup, then do a road trip from LA with the car (not sure on the legal stuff behind this).

I would also recommend getting a winter beater.

OK, I dont have any tints in that pic.. might look that way with the lighting..

And with that day time driving lights, is that a feature that turns the lights on automatically when you start the car? I'm assuming so..

I'll start enquiring about shipping costs when I get time, that idea about doing a road trip from LA sounds awesome, definately would be an experience for me..

But having said that, surely there must be shipping companies that can steam into Vancouver.. Looks like its got a shipping port.

I didnt know what a winter beater was until I just looked it up hahaha.. Oh and nice pug, we've had 2 in the past

My Ride
    Anything topless.

I was actually considering bringing my car over from Aucks when I was living there but decided that it wasn't worth the hassle for me. In the end, I reckon you would save a few thousand dollars; however, it's really up to you if you have the connections and the know how on how to bring it over. I was just too ignorant and decided against it.

You can pick up some pretty decent skylines over here now a days, but seeing that this is YOUR baby, I understand what you're going through!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

If you move to B.C sell the car. B.C=Bring Cash.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

I don't think you will have too many problems. Some of the junk on the roads today are proof that you don’t need daytime running lights, stock exhaust, DOT headlights, DOT windshield, or anything remotely described above.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    1982 Chevette

yea the lights are automatic. I just figured it would be cheaper to ship it to LA then to Van, plus the drive up to BC is beautiful.

Though if your in southern BC it more than snow. (except for the dead of winter..)

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by Tomaz
    I don't think you will have too many problems. Some of the junk on the roads today are proof that you don’t need daytime running lights, stock exhaust, DOT headlights, DOT windshield, or anything remotely described above.
    That's most likely due to them borrowing running lights for the inspection and taking them off after, just the same as a non-modified exhaust, etc. Moreover, is there still something about 3rd brake light? There were a bunch of shady shops at the beginning of the jap-importation wave that didn't give a fuck about who passed inspections and who didn't, I think things have gotten stricter since then tho.

EDIT: Might want to check out here for more info on requirements to pass inspections for certain provinces. After that, forget looking there!
    Last edited by msommers; 06-24-2009 at 11:57 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

If you register it in Alberta, bring it to Harbour Auto here in Calgary on 32nd ave. They'll pass it as long as it's structurally safe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast