Quantcast
New Scooter regulations in Alberta starting July 1st - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New Scooter regulations in Alberta starting July 1st

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Default New Scooter regulations in Alberta starting July 1st

Hey guys, just a heads-up, new regulations are coming into effect July 1st 2009 for scooters and restricted-speed motorcycles.

WAS:
    -Class 7 or higher (learners -ie 14 years old)
    -top speed of 50kph on level ground
    -35-55kg maximum weight

WILL BE ON JULY 1 2009:

-Class 7 or higher (learners -ie 14 years old)
    -Electric motor or propelled by an engine that has a displacement of no larger than 50cc
    -Top Speed of 70kph
    -NO WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS
    -Minimum seat height of 650mm (65 cm's)
    -Includes limited speed motorcycles (ie YSR50)

No mention of a transmission anymore. As long as it goes less than 70kph on level ground you're good to go.

Good newws for anyone wanting to get into scooters and motorcycles at a young age!

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/531.htm
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    has three pedals.

Someone was saying on groundpilots that these needed to be revised, because all scooters are heavier than the limit.

Is this wise though? For younger kids without any training on 2 wheels? Not sure myself.

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Originally posted by scat19
    Someone was saying on groundpilots that these needed to be revised, because all scooters are heavier than the limit.

Is this wise though? For younger kids without any training on 2 wheels? Not sure myself.
    I don't know, that's a good question. I had a hopped-up Honda Spree in 1986 That would easily do 70kph on flat, I was always pretty safe on it. I think it depends on the kid.. if he/she's responsible and has good motor skills (good on a BMX or mountain bike) I think they'll be fine.

If he/she's a cracked out shit head maybe not lol

More to the point I think it will open the door to more urbanites who want to get around downtown or in the inner city easier.
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    Ducati 1199, BRZ

Are you still going to be able to take the Class 6 test with a scooter then? (A friend of mine has her Class 6 and took the test on a scooter.)

I can already see the road carnage.

Now we just need to get the City to open up free parking downtown for those scooters (like Victoria and Toronto) .....they are currently turning those free spots into $195 / month spots

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Cars/ye...624/story.html

So it's all gone through. I doubt much change will be noticed, at 14 the parents will still have a lot of control over whether their kids get a scooter or not so that adds some discretion to the matter.

My Ride
    Ducati 1199, BRZ

I'm not so sure I'm a fan of this. I have no problem with people getting into scooters/mopeds/motorcycles as methods of transportation or even as a sport - there are benefits, for sure.

However, I don't know if passing one of the easiest "tests" you'll ever take makes you worthy of being on the road without supervision. At least in a car, with your Class 7, you still have to have a full Class 5 driver sitting with you.

The requirements for the road test are as follows:

Changes to the definitions for motorcycles and mopeds came into effect on July 1, 2009. Certain vehicles that have required a Class 6 to operate and were acceptable for a Class 6 road test are re-defined as mopeds. As mopeds they can be operated with a Class 7 and will not be acceptable vehicles for Class 6 road tests.
    The most common type of vehicle affected by this change will be small 50cc motor scooters. For example, the Honda Jazz has previously been considered a motorcycle, due to its weight and its designated top speed of 65 km/hr. The new definitions remove weight restrictions and raise the allowable top speed from 50 km/hr to 70 km/hr. Therefore, the Jazz will now be considered a moped and will no longer be acceptable for a Class 6 road test. Similar vehicles from other manufacturers will also be affected.

When booking a Class 6 road test, the client should be asked about the motorcycle that will be used. If it is larger than 50cc, it is acceptable. If it 50 cc or less, ask the client to verify whether it is a motorcycle or a moped.

**If the examiner wants to be sure that the vehicle is not a moped, the examiner has the right to verify with the federal compliance label on the vehicle.

This sounds good and all but does this actually mean I can use this on public bike paths in Calgary now?

http://www.walmart.ca/Canada-Automot...=1560&tabId=14

You know without the need to actually register this as a moped or does this new law only effect road going scooters?

Can someone please confirm this for me?

This was the only reason I didn't buy one of these. If it's legal
    now then I will actually get one for bike paths and such.
    Calgary, Alberta

Well I had litterally just read the rules right before the law was changed again when I was going to buy that scooter.

For those of us with some riding experience or understanding of the law you can agree with me that this is really stupid.

The reason being is that they imposed this weight limitation just only a few years ago and now this year (2009) they have taken it away again.

What a waste of money and tax dollars, this kind of stuff really looks embarassing for the Goverment of Alberta.

Canadian Tire had just started selling electric bicycles a few years ago when the weight limit came into effect and that screwed everything up for them and the electric bike market because almost all electric bikes with a NI-CAD battery were over the maximum weight limit and which then made them a moped and required insurance, registration for road use only.

I was positive they did that because the Government of Alberta didn't want people capitalizing on the cheap alternatives for public transportation.

Now I assume since the homes have doubles in Calgary it's the least they could do for people removing the weight restriction and allowing people low cost transportaton solutions. Now if Alberta was smart they should allow Segways into the province as well. "Don't underestimate the power of the Segway". The real reason those things are not allowed anywhere near here is because they are so damned effective at getting you around fast. You can litterally beat most traffic in the city even when it's not rush hour with one of those things.

Check this out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQnmUsB3pck

Why they stop for the light is beyond me.

And you can even make them faster then that for those sportbike guys like me.
    Last edited by sportryder; 11-04-2009 at 07:35 PM.
    Calgary, Alberta

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by japan_us
    I'm not so sure I'm a fan of this. I have no problem with people getting into scooters/mopeds/motorcycles as methods of transportation or even as a sport - there are benefits, for sure.

However, I don't know if passing one of the easiest "tests" you'll ever take makes you worthy of being on the road without supervision. At least in a car, with your Class 7, you still have to have a full Class 5 driver sitting with you.

I agree. At 14, very few kids are responsible enough to be on the road, on two wheels no less - much more dangerous than in a car. They don't realize consequence (its actually been proven that the part of a man's brain that realizes consequence isn't fully developed until ages 21-23), and this is a potentially large hazard to themselves and other motorists. Granted, most parents will be responsible and not throw their 14 y.o. out the door with a scooter, there are still some that are going to encourage it; those select few make me shake my head.

It's funny you should mention the 23-24 year mental development age. That was only a theory years ago, it's actually very true however.

Society has even forced to acknowledge that fact over the years by increasing the legal adult age considerably.

Some states in the USA have increased the legal adult age to 21 for gambling, drinking, etc. I think we should do the same here in alberta as well.

BC is at 19 years which again proves that Alberta's minimum age requirements are just way too low. If it was up to me I would set it to at least 20 years.
    Calgary, Alberta

My Ride
    350z

So... what kind of options are there for 50cc scooters other than the Honda Jazz and Ruckus? Any sportier looking bikes available like the Aprilia RS50 or Yamaha TZW 50? I'm too lazy to get my class 6