Quantcast
help with video card decision - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: help with video card decision

My Ride
    is probably sh*tier than urs

Default help with video card decision

Hey guys

im fairly split between the video card that will come with the next dell computer im going to buy

ATi Radeon HD 4350 vs ATi Radeon HD 3650

now based on numbers http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....=585&card2=554

tjhe 3650 seems to blowthe 4350 outta the water.. but the 4350 is a 512 mb card while the 3650 is a 256 mb card

any input or experience with these cards would b much appreciated
    You can technically get a ticket for each window that's illegally tinted. So as above, if you're being an ass to the officer (or if he's just an ass to begin with), he can give you two. (or three tickets if you're dumb enough to tint the windshield of your BMW... but if you own a BMW you can't be stupid right?)
    Originally posted by RoseLover

Any penny you have to work hard to get, you will consider as "cheapness"...if you hate people from overseas...why you stay in North America!

My Ride

What will you be using the computer for?

My Ride
    ST205

With a 128bit bus and DDR3 v-ram I would choose 3650.

Stuffing a large amount of RAM into a low-end graphics card is pointless, in my opinion, as video RAM is meant for storing larger textures rendered at a high screen resolution. If the graphics card doesn't even have the raw processing power to render a game at a high resolution (I'm talking about over 1024x768), then all the video RAM it has is useless.

There has to be a balance between raw power and memory storage. A shitty card like a HD4350 doesn't even need 512MB of RAM, as there's no chance you will be playing any games released in the past year at a resolution higher than 800x600 without dropping way below 30fps.

If I were you, I would pick the computer that has a lower price tag, then buy yourself a real graphics card.

My Ride
    W204

First off, what is your budget? 2nd, why would you add a vid card from DELL?? Configure the Dell with the most basic options. Then anything thereafter, add it yourself. If you can fix cars, you can upgrade a computer. Especially with a vid card. Pop open the dell, put in a new vid card, you're done.

And both vid cards you listed are complete pieces of shit. I bought an 8800GS off a beyonder for $60 that leave them in the dust.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

This will help you alot. Read it fully and completely.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2347388,00.asp

My Ride

Originally posted by Wraith
    What will you be using the computer for?
    gaming =)

and clem uve got a point for sure
    You can technically get a ticket for each window that's illegally tinted. So as above, if you're being an ass to the officer (or if he's just an ass to begin with), he can give you two. (or three tickets if you're dumb enough to tint the windshield of your BMW... but if you own a BMW you can't be stupid right?)

Any penny you have to work hard to get, you will consider as "cheapness"...if you hate people from overseas...why you stay in North America!

My Ride

Go to Memory express and grab one.

Also if you post your computer setup right now it will help people recommend a card.

My Ride

^ i will definetly do that when im ready to purchase within the next few weeks here.. im still debating.. my brothers very knowledgable with computers but isnt too keen on the gaming side of them.. so i will seek help here very soon

My Ride

As mentioned earlier, whats your budget? You can probably put one together yourself (or let memex do it) with superior specs while staying on budget

My Ride

Really it all depends on your computer. If you have a core 2 duo or higher with 4 gb ram and a decent MB then a nice $250 card with 512mb and higher would be good, but you may have a P4 still with a gig of ram then that card wont really help you.

So like everyone else including me in this post has said. Post your current spec so we know what advice to give.

My Ride

well my budget in reality for a full computer is a little less than a thousand!!! (with or without an hd monitor)
    i was interested in a quad core!!!

i hear theyre pretty decent nowadays

and i am DONE with TOSHIBAS and HP;s.. these computers have given me nightmares
    Last edited by sh0ko; 06-26-2009 at 04:21 PM.

My Ride

Go to Memory express. Tell them listen Im looking for a gaming computer in the $1000 mark. I dont need any stupid extra crap and dont want to go to cheap on the graphics card. They should be able to put a package together for you.

Get maybe 2 packages first.

Also quad cores are nice, but for game a duo core is still best as there is only a few games out there that can take advantage of the quad.

Your going to have to take a hit on something if you want a decent machine for a grand. I would get a 19" monitor thats made for gaming to cut down the cost as some monitors can be up around the $400-$500 alone.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforc...iew-31608.html

Good read and it will help you make your decision.

My Ride

Originally posted by snoop101
    Go to Memory express. Tell them listen Im looking for a gaming computer in the $1000 mark. I dont need any stupid extra crap and dont want to go to cheap on the graphics card. They should be able to put a package together for you.

Get maybe 2 packages first.

Also quad cores are nice, but for game a duo core is still best as there is only a few games out there that can take advantage of the quad.

Your going to have to take a hit on something if you want a decent machine for a grand. I would get a 19" monitor thats made for gaming to cut down the cost as some monitors can be up around the $400-$500 alone.
    ty

and ty kryn
    very helpful

im not gonna buy a computer.. im in the market for a tv as well and as just gonna hook up my computer to the tv

I know a few people with the 4830 who are very happy. Its just a bit over $100 if you can find one and does not need too much power.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by Xaroxantu Zero
    If I were you, I would pick the computer that has a lower price tag, then buy yourself a real graphics card.
    i have a 512 9800GT in my Qosmio, it hasnt had a problem for any games what so ever, pretty much every single FPS released in the past 2-3 years i've played with the GPU on high settings, keep in mind that to run certain GPUs you need certain pwr requirements as kind of mentioned above, so take into consideration when choosing your PSU as well.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by snoop101
    This is NOT always true. If you wait for the right deal, you can score an excellent system from Dell complete with O/S that is cheaper than anything that you will ever be able to source from MemEx. And it arrives fully configured and assembled. One of the strengths of Dell systems are that they are dead silent, which is not always easy to achieve.

In any case, when you catch one of these systems, just go with the most basic setup and don't add any components (this is where they make all their money back).

As for the Dual vs. Quad argument, I am in the boat where if you can afford it, get a fast Quad, like the Q9550. In terms of pure horsepower and O/C ability, the duals are the way to go, but... It has been proven that CPUs have much less influence on gaming than a good vid card, and not everyone wants to O/C (like me). But once something does take advantage of Quad (like Photoshop), it can easily leave a dual in the dust (i.e. PS filters can run twice as fast). I know this sounds contradictory. But I guess my point is, get the vid card you want first (I think the GTX 275 is probably the best deal going for around $200 on sale). Then budget for CPU accordingly.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    ST205

Originally posted by clem24

This is NOT always true. If you wait for the right deal, you can score an excellent system from Dell complete with O/S that is cheaper than anything that you will ever be able to source from MemEx. And it arrives fully configured and assembled. One of the strengths of Dell systems are that they are dead silent, which is not always easy to achieve.

In any case, when you catch one of these systems, just go with the most basic setup and don't add any components (this is where they make all their money back).

As for the Dual vs. Quad argument, I am in the boat where if you can afford it, get a fast Quad, like the Q9550. In terms of pure horsepower and O/C ability, the duals are the way to go, but... It has been proven that CPUs have much less influence on gaming than a good vid card, and not everyone wants to O/C (like me). But once something does take advantage of Quad (like Photoshop), it can easily leave a dual in the dust (i.e. PS filters can run twice as fast). I know this sounds contradictory. But I guess my point is, get the vid card you want first (I think the GTX 275 is probably the best deal going for around $200 on sale). Then budget for CPU accordingly.
    Although I agree with the Dell comment, they are just not worth it in the long run. Buying a customized PC from memory express leaves room for you to upgrade as new technology gets introduced.

Same idea with overclocking. If hes likes to play games then he wants to overclock to get the best performance, but you cannot overclock Dell processors unless you do the motherboard bypass trick.

Go on Memory Express' site and goto System Config. I am sure you can build a fast PC under $1000.

My Ride

I agree with both of you. I been building computers since the 386's and used to write programs on a vic 20 (woohoo tape cassette). Anyways I agree you can get some killer deals at Dell when they have them on. I used to work for Dell doing sales and yes there are some really good deals, especially on laptops. At the same time you can do much with the Bios in terms of OC'ing and such. The parts they put in are decent still and depending out what you buy you can get some really nice warrenty. The upside to Memory express is that you can buy the parts you want. If you want an Asus MB you get one. With that you can buy a MB that you can OC till the cows come home. You know the ram can handle the OC because you got the good gaming ram. The other side is that you will pay a bit more and the fact that maybe you dont even want to OC.

So as you can see they both have there pros and cons. Which ever you pick do your homework. Lots of smart computer techs on Beyond and tons of info on both Toms hardware and Extreme tech.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast