Quantcast
Ask me anything about Car Insurance - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask me anything about Car Insurance

My Ride
    2GR-FE Hethel, 14W246, 13W251, 06NC, 02Aerio

Originally posted by 97luder
    can you get "sunday driving" insurance
    i have a car that id like to drive part time ( weekend here and there )
    do i still have to pay the same as if i was driving it full time ?
    You would have to pay as if you are driving it full time. Don't think there is any way around it.
    Insurance Pro

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by 97luder
    can you get "sunday driving" insurance
    i have a car that id like to drive part time ( weekend here and there )
    do i still have to pay the same as if i was driving it full time ?
    You're pretty stuck here. The only strategy I would suggest would be to run the full coverage during the summer months and then when you put the car away in the fall just call your broker and reduce the coverage to comprehensive only (parking insurance). Of course this is assuming you don't ever drive the vehicle in the winter.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    09 CSRT4

I have a question regarding what i call umbrella insurance...Pretty much how i understand my insurance company has it set up is my dad, my brother and I are all insured through the same company. But they took my brother and I and our insurance has our dads name on it but we are primary drivers. This allowes them to give us his discount but on our cars. Now if theres ever an accedent they told us that they would flip the insurance under our names so it wouldnt affect my dad. Is this a common practice? Is there any chance of my dad getting screwed? (he has 40 years no accendents no nothing so nobody pays less than him) As much as I love the discount just dont want any cahnce of him getting screwed ever. Thank in advance.

My Ride

When it comes right down to it, the policy holder is ultimately responsible for claims made on that policy. So the short answer is yes, this can come back to bite your Dad.

However, there are few different strategies that can be employed to mitigate the potential problems. Your broker should be able to explain this to you guys.

My Ride
    GT TDi

if your car is at city impound and it wasn't your fault, is it advised to move it to private property to avoid excess city storage fees, or will the at fault company be covering the bill no matter how long its been there?

scenario: car in accident now, it's undriveable, holidays around corner, can take longer for appraisal if it's getting fixed or written off, meanwhile city is taking ~$25/day
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

My Ride

Assuming you have full coverage, after you have advised your company / broker they will deal with it.

If you only have PLPD and ARE 1000000% sure the other guy is at fault then the other guy's insurance company will deal with it.

Other than that, get it pulled out of there & keep receipts for towing & related fees.

Move it as soon as it is reasonable. If the other person's insurance is covering, they wont pay to have it sit there because you only have PLPD. It's called 'mitigating the loss', if you take reasonable steps to avoid extra costs to your vehicle, there is no reason for them to refuse to cover it.

Just keep your receipts, towing, storage, rental or taxis, etc. There is no guarantee that the other person's insurance will follow up with you as quickly as you would like.

Last edited by Cos; 12-31-2016 at 11:48 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride

Originally posted by Cos
    I found online a few places that say your car insurance also covers you for a rental car. Is that true? I was trying to look up if my CC does it as well as rental insurance is 200% what the actual rental costs.

thanks

Also emailed you MB.
    See if you have SEF 27. Legal Liability for Damage to Non-Owned Auto. There is a cap to the maximum amount it will covered. ie. 50,000 for physical damage to the rental.
    Insurance Pro

Last edited by Cos; 12-31-2016 at 11:39 AM.

My Ride

Originally posted by Cos
    I found online a few places that say your car insurance also covers you for a rental car. Is that true? I was trying to look up if my CC does it as well as rental insurance is 200% what the actual rental costs.

thanks

Also emailed you MB.
    You & the Mrs. both have the coverage on your policies. It won't matter who's name the rental contract is in. As long as it's a private passenger vehicle (no commercial rentals, like a U-Haul).

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Slightly off-topic, but my credit card covers me in rental vehicles, but that coverage specifically excludes pickup trucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Last edited by Cos; 12-31-2016 at 11:41 AM.

My Ride
    Nissan

Does my claim history follow me from one province to another. Im currently insured in Toronto and my vehicle recently got vandalized.

Im about to pull out my own wallet to pay the $2k to fix the damage but since Im moving to Alberta in the near future, can I make an insurance claim for the repair to have it fixed then quickly move back to Alberta without feeling the spike in insurance premiums?

Im assuming that if I was staying in Toronto permanently, after making the insurance claim, my premiums would increase a lot making the claim uneconomical.

However since Im moving back to Alberta soon, I can make a claim here in Toronto, then get new insurance in AB without the claim following me?

My Ride

Originally posted by Nizmo_GTR
    Does my claim history follow me from one province to another. Im currently insured in Toronto and my vehicle recently got vandalized.

Im about to pull out my own wallet to pay the $2k to fix the damage but since Im moving to Alberta in the near future, can I make an insurance claim for the repair to have it fixed then quickly move back to Alberta without feeling the spike in insurance premiums?

Im assuming that if I was staying in Toronto permanently, after making the insurance claim, my premiums would increase a lot making the claim uneconomical.

However since Im moving back to Alberta soon, I can make a claim here in Toronto, then get new insurance in AB without the claim following me?
    Vandalism is a comprehensive claim and not an at fault claim. (subj to your comp deductible) It won't spike your insurance on renewal even if you stay in Ontario. Mind you when you come back to AB, you will need a copy of your abstract and your insurance history from your ON insurance company.
    Insurance Pro

My Ride
    Nissan

^^ thx guessboi

My Ride
    Nissan

So from your perspective, you would suggest making a claim through insurance, pay the $500 deductible and have insurance pay for the $2k damage?

My Ride

Originally posted by Nizmo_GTR
    So from your perspective, you would suggest making a claim through insurance, pay the $500 deductible and have insurance pay for the $2k damage?
    Are you sure your comprehensive deductible is $500? It's usually only $250?

You should absolutely file the claim. Most insurance companies don't care about one or two comprehensive claims on your record. There IS the odd company (Economical comes to mind) that has an extra discount if you have absolutely no claims at all but that is not the industry norm. There is no reason why you shouldn't file the claim regardless of if you stay in ON or come to the best province in the country, Alberta!

My Ride

Originally posted by Cos

Saweeeet. Thanks! Car rental in Vegas is $11.00 a day and insurance is $21.00

Do you have to take anything with us? I.E. Have to take a copy of our policy or our pink card or something?
    No documentation required, just your good word.

My Ride

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Slightly off-topic, but my credit card covers me in rental vehicles, but that coverage specifically excludes pickup trucks.
    Are you sure it's all pick up trucks or just commercially plated pick up trucks? The general rule of thumb is private passenger vehicles are good to go, commercial are not. Although if the coverage on the card is free, who know. If you have full coverage on one of your regular vehicles, chances are you have the SEF 27 which is what extends your policy to rental vehicles.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast