Quantcast
Costs of an infill? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Costs of an infill?

My Ride
    335i

Default Costs of an infill?

In the past week, I have been working on subdividing a property into two separate lots. It's in an older community with a huge lot (just under 100ft wide).

The next step is to look into construction of an infill on one side. I currently have about 40ftx120ft to work with on the empty lot. Is this enough to put up an infill?

How much do infills cost, on average, for a simple one with garage? Who builds them in Calgary?
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

40 x 120 is more than enough. Most infill lots are 25x120.

To build an infill, you'd be looking at around $150 per sqft for standard features.

Which community is your property located in? Before you start building, you should talk to an experienced real estate agent and get their advice on what would be the best fit for the area.

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

where is the property?

give my buddy carmine a call, he does very good, high quality builds
    403-818-6639.
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    335i

Thanks Jay, but I am not looking for a high quality build. I want to offset the cost of the property by selling one unit and retaining the other.

$150/ft doesn't sound bad at all. I was hoping to get something done for around 200-250k

Felon or Mistermeiner

Cost of an infill really truly varies depending on what you are doing. If you do both places at once, it will save you money. Do you have the floorplans done already? What type of finishes are you planning on?

We did something similar just on the outskirts of downtown. We subdivided a lot, built two homes on that lot (side by side though) and made the one home three stories, double car garage and the other one two stories with a double car detached garage.

The bigger, three story one is super high end (concrete countertop, bamboo flooring, in floor heating, kick ass audio/video systems etc), 3000 sq ft and it cost approx $205 per sq foot. This was also JUST before the housing boom.

That being said, we got multiple bids on everything, priced everything out to the penny and spent a whole hell of a lot of time on that project. And when I say a whole lot of time, I mean more time than I ever thought I would. But in the end, it was well worth all the effort that we put in. I dont think it would have ended up as *cheap* as it would have if we did not devote that kind of effort and time into the project.

One thing that did surprise me though, was the massive difference in fees for a design. Some places were around the 5k mark to have a design made and drawn up properly, and a few were in the 45k range. So, do your research for a great floorplan.

My Ride

Might be worth giving him a call and asking anyways

there are other options

i might be able to get you a pre-fabricated home (not a mobile - manufactured in pieces, then assembled on site) for around the 150k mark. what you would need is services out to the site and crib-up a basement.

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Thanks Jay, but I am not looking for a high quality build. I want to offset the cost of the property by selling one unit and retaining the other.

$150/ft doesn't sound bad at all. I was hoping to get something done for around 200-250k

Originally posted by Weapon_R

Based on a $250K budget, building at $150/sqft, your house would be 1600 sqft. That is kinda small for a 40 foot lot. You'd probably get a better return subdividing the lot into 3 smaller 30 feet lots. You can keep one and sell two and make way more money.

That's not small for a 40 foot lot if its a bungalow. The lot we have is 50 feet wide and our house is 1721 sq feet. You don't always need to do a complete front garage attached home. Ever seen some of the homes where the garage is attached slightly to the front and side? It looks extremely nice and doesn't look like every other new house that is built.

Whats the zoning on that property? Is it simply an R-2 or R-2M?
    Anything non-conforming in that area?
    With close to 100ft in width, you may be able to do something a bit more substantial than two infills given the correct zoning.

My Ride
    NC1

Bump, any more recommendations/positive experiences with builders?

I'm looking to build an infill on a 25X110 lot in Renfrew.

Budget is around $175/sq.ft, size 1800sq.ft

It's a corner lot so instead of building the typical 25' front facing home, I want to build it sideways with a 75'? front.

Anyway, need someone to talk to. No BS, straight shooter.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Hey,

I'm currently in the process of building infills in South Calgary (Marda Loop). I have a recommendation for you, but I sent it via PM because I included a lot of detail.

Aaron

My Ride
    E36 M3

Hey guys,

Keep in mind, the infill market, especially in certain parts of the city, is over-saturated. Make sure you build something that competes with other structures in the area.

Depending on when you bought the land, you may be hard pressed to make money - again, your competition will guide you in your decision making process. Perhaps choose a knowledgable agent you want to work with to sell the final product - get them to take you through the competition and help make some of the decisions.

I'd be curious to hear your ideas/infill plans. Shoot me a line if you'd like to indulge me.

Cheers!

My Ride
    335i

Aaron, can you forward me that email? I am still looking for someone too.

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride

Originally posted by robpark
    ....Perhaps choose a knowledgable agent you want to work with to sell the final product - get them to take you through the competition and help make some of the decisions.
    Cheers!

My Ride
    Legacy Spec B

I'm looking for a builder as well. I'm looking to build a duplex in west hillhurst. About 3400 feet in total.

Could you also forward me any recommendations.

Thanks!