Quantcast
Terence's Next Car - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Terence's Next Car

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Default Terence's Next Car

Don't worry, I'm not selling the s2000 (aka SunYe).

But I'm looking to get a new daily driver when I migrate to Vancouver. Right now I drive a Fit, and am looking to upgrade to something a bit more powerful. At the same time, I want the car to posess many of the same characterstics of the Fit, when possible - good fuel economy, reliable, good cargo/utility, comfortable to drive. Hatchback if possible, but not necessary.
    Oh, and I want an a "fun" automatic transmission (something with paddle shifters and such). No SUVs or big vehicles.

beyond.ca helped me out in deciding to go with the s2000 + Fit combo, which has worked out amazingly! Deciding to give you guys a shot again!

Here is what I'm looking at so far:

Acura CSX (new or used) - it's a smooth comfortable car, with some luxury amenities. has "paddle shifters" for occasional "fun". Good on gas and can be had for pretty cheap on the used market.

Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart Sportback (new) - will by far the best performing car for what I'm looking at right now, twin clutch and awd is a major selling point for me, though it's probably not as big of a deal in Vancouver as it is in Calgary. only problem is fuel consumption.

Lexus IS250 (new or used) - I've heard it's not even worth it to consider the "base" model, RWD IS. And a fully loaded IS350 AWD is a bit out of my price range.

I've had a few others come to mind, but they haven't made enough of an impact for me to remember what they were. Any suggestions are appreciated.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

There a nice fully loaded (nav!) csx-s for sale right now in the marketplace., $22,500 if I recall. If I had the coin I would pick that up as it's a nice upgrade from a fit while still maintaining some fuel economy.

Those Corolla XRS's seem pretty nice too.

My Ride
    UA5/ W204

- the Lancer cuz of the power and AWD and its pretty roomy in the fornt and the back
    - the IS isnt that great at all cuz its too small in the back seat. kinda lack of power for the IS250.
    - CSX just not enough power unless its a type S but still wont go for it

my vote for the Lancer

My Ride
    Ram

going from the fit to to any of those after the first week of driving u`ll be like wtf where did my gas milage go. happened to me when i sold my fit for an 08 si. of course shortly after i sold the si for the sti. boy i wish i had something better on gas.

the new lancer sportback ralliarts are nice but i dont think they`re worth the money, irrc the loaded ralliarts were the same price as a gsr evo. but that was a long time ago.

but knowing u terrence every one of your cars have been a honda, so why break tradition go with an fd2, the only thing lacking on my civic was leather back then. but if u had to go outside the honda family, remember awhile back we both testdrove the new wrx, i would strongly consider the 265.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

GTI?
    A3?

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

If you are considering the CSX and the IS250 then how about the TSX? Honda reliability, and more power than the CSX.

AWD is nice but the interior of the two other cars you mentioned is nicer than the Mitsu.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

If you want a car with paddle shifters twin clutch is the only way to have fun

Keeping it under 40K: Audi A3, GTI, Ralliart.

You can pick up a year or two old GTI DSG for mid $20K. You'd get about 7l/100kms on the highway and 10l/100kms in the city.

265 WRX isnt a bad option either. I hated the wagon look when they first came out, but man did they ever grow on me
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

VW GTI
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Originally posted by Aleks
    If you want a car with paddle shifters twin clutch is the only way to have fun

Keeping it under 40K: Audi A3, GTI, Ralliart.

You can pick up a year or two old GTI DSG for mid $20K. You'd get about 7l/100kms on the highway and 10l/100kms in the city.
    Never thought about the A3 or GTi until now, thanks to you and Benyl.

However I've heard horror stories about my friend's GTI DSG. Nothing but problems (albeit small) since purchase, and never seems to be ending. How're these for reliability?

Does WRX 265 even come with automatic? I wouldn't want to drive an auto WRX either way...unless it was twin clutch...
    Last edited by Skyline_Addict; 07-07-2009 at 10:33 AM.

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
    If you are considering the CSX and the IS250 then how about the TSX? Honda reliability, and more power than the CSX.

AWD is nice but the interior of the two other cars you mentioned is nicer than the Mitsu.
    I agree on considering a TSX. They can be had for a good price on the used market, not the new bodystyle but last generation... They get really good gas mileage too I find.

Other then that from your considerations I would choose the IS250, but not sure how good the gas mileage is on them.

My Ride
    Ram

go manual!

My Ride
    09 wrx265

all wrx265 and sti are manual only.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Originally posted by Sorath
    go manual!

tired of manual for daily work commutes. going to be much worse in vancouver with the traffic. i have my "fun" car already.

My Ride
    Ram

i know what u mean, only auto out there right now i`d buy is an evo x mr, maybe u can find a used for ur price range. they cant be that much if they were giving 4grand rebate awhile ago

Originally posted by cityhunter2501
    all wrx265 and sti are manual only.
    my bad, didn't even think about that

I agree, sometimes manual is a BITCH to drive in day to day traffic.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Originally posted by Sorath
    i know what u mean, only auto out there right now i`d buy is an evo x mr, maybe u can find a used for ur price range. they cant be that much if they were giving 4grand rebate awhile ago
    though I could afford it, i don't see the point in having 2 high performance cars when only one of them will really be used for "spirited" purposes. my plans are to make the s2000 more of a track monster while my daily driver should be as plain jane as possible.

Originally posted by 403Gemini

my bad, didn't even think about that

I agree, sometimes manual is a BITCH to drive in day to day traffic.
    yaman!

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

Never thought about the A3 or GTi until now, thanks to you and Benyl.

However I've heard horror stories about my friend's GTI DSG. Nothing but problems (albeit small) since purchase, and never seems to be ending. How're these for reliability?

Does WRX 265 even come with automatic? I wouldn't want to drive an auto WRX either way...unless it was twin clutch...
    What problems has your friend had? I've had mine for 1.5 years and not one problem so far. The DSG itself should be fairly reliable as well.

While I doubt the car will be as reliable as a Toyota Corolla in 10 yrs I don't keep my cars that long anyways so I bought one even though I knew they are not rated the most reliable cars out there. But if you look at the competition like MS3, Si, WRX265, Cobalt SS they have have their own (well documented) problems.

Either way your choices are pretty limited if you want something fun with paddles.
    Last edited by Aleks; 07-07-2009 at 12:25 PM.

My Ride
    2006 G35 Coupe

Terence why are you moving to Van?

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Originally posted by TC06
    Terence why are you moving to Van?
    Time for a change and the job takes me there. When you've lived in Calgary for a long period of time (especially after living in a number of places in the world), you begin to yearn for new experiences. I like Vancouver and what it has to offer, and isn't too drastic of a change, that say, moving to another country would be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast