Quantcast
Waterway Houseboats - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Waterway Houseboats

Default Waterway Houseboats

I'm going houseboating at the end of the month. I got us a boat that fits 16, and have filled it up right away, but now a couple girls want on and I've read on Waterway's site that we're not allowed anymore than the boat is supposed to hold. My question is, does anyone know how strict they are on that rule, and how easy is it to sneak any extras on? I don't wanna let anyone else on the boat and then when we get there, we get in shit for extra people.

Also, I've read the other threads on here about houseboating, and people mentioned fireworks. Can you buy fireworks there? I called Waterway about bringing fireworks and they said there's currently a ban on fireworks due to the dry weather so I don't wanna buy any and not be able to use them.
    Mercs

My Ride
    06 F-150

I just got a boat from Waterway two weekends ago. Everyone on board will need a boarding pass, and your not allowed to have any extras. We actually had too many people going and they just upgraded us to a bigger boat. I'd say give that a shot.

And yea you can buy fireworks there. There is a floating store with a ton of fireworks for sale.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

There is a ban yes, and the above information is correct waterways does not allow overloading the boats.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

I would call waterway and ask if they can upgrade the boat. If you are going during the last week of July, they are usually 100% booked. So chances of upgrading will be slim to nil unless you call ahead.
    **Last week of July/First week of Aug is always a crazy mess out there

My Ride
    2005 F350

fuck waterways.

last time we went with them, as soon as we boarded, i noticed that the houseboat was leaning to one side. i asked them to take a look at it because that is not normal. i also told them that it's probably the septic tank too full. they just brushed it off and didn't bother to look at it and sent us on our way.

well, we get going and it starts to lean to one side so badly that water would come up onto our front deck as we were moving in the water.

the toilets would leak water so it wouldn't seal the smell of the tank away so our shitter smelled like shit the whole time.

our motor would just die for no reason. we were adrift for almost 4 hours before they sent someone out to fix it. then it happened again a few hours later causing our boat to drift right into a cliff wall.

when we got back, they finally emptied the septic tank and viola! the boat wasn't leaning to one side anymore. those fuckers didn't even empty it from the previous renters.

i will never go with waterways again.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    Accord 6-6, Tacoma

I am a huge fan of Twin Anchors......went 6 years, never any problems
    Honda/Acura guy

Originally posted by dannie
    I would call waterway and ask if they can upgrade the boat. If you are going during the last week of July, they are usually 100% booked. So chances of upgrading will be slim to nil unless you call ahead.
    **Last week of July/First week of Aug is always a crazy mess out there
    I'm just not gonna bother upgrading. I'd lose my $750 down payment, and then I'd have to make another one and the remaining price difference between the two boats. Plus, it's only those two, the next available boat, last time I asked fits 24. We'd only have 18, I don't doubt I can find more people to go, but so close to the date of, I don't want to go through that headache, I have too many indecisive and last minute friends.

Originally posted by SOAB
    fuck waterways.

last time we went with them, as soon as we boarded, i noticed that the houseboat was leaning to one side. i asked them to take a look at it because that is not normal. i also told them that it's probably the septic tank too full. they just brushed it off and didn't bother to look at it and sent us on our way.

well, we get going and it starts to lean to one side so badly that water would come up onto our front deck as we were moving in the water.

the toilets would leak water so it wouldn't seal the smell of the tank away so our shitter smelled like shit the whole time.

our motor would just die for no reason. we were adrift for almost 4 hours before they sent someone out to fix it. then it happened again a few hours later causing our boat to drift right into a cliff wall.

when we got back, they finally emptied the septic tank and viola! the boat wasn't leaning to one side anymore. those fuckers didn't even empty it from the previous renters.

Wow, that sucks. Hopefully I don't have to deal with that BS. how long ago did this happen?

That reminds me. What things should I look for when going over the boat? Would anyone suggest taking pictures of things before departure as proof if anything goes wrong?
    Mercs

My Ride
    08 RS4

You could always pick up the extra people a little further down at the next town/beach. We've done that in the past.

My Ride
    ecoboost

Originally posted by G-RS4
    You could always pick up the extra people a little further down at the next town/beach. We've done that in the past.
    I was gonna say the same thing, pick your 2 friends up while going through the narrows... we've done this and it avoids any issues.

Keep in mind that if you fill it up to capacity that includes 2 people sleeping on the pullout couch and 2 people on the dining room table. I couldnt figure out for the life of me how to turn the dining room table on the boat into a bed as its all fixed and doesnt fold down in any way. If people are drinking the dining room table is going to get real gross.

When I went all of us had our own private bedroom, much nicer as the beds are small to begin with. It was already crowded. We had like 7 people on a 14 person boat, two toilets Other people who packed 22/22 on their boat said they only had two toilets too and holy shit it got really gross and smelly in there and so crowded.

I went waterways and didn't have any problems.

As for fireworks, yes youre not allowed to fire them. You can buy them however, but not use them according to the letter of the law.

My Ride
    Some wedges.

Originally posted by TDA
    Keep in mind that if you fill it up to capacity that includes 2 people sleeping on the pullout couch and 2 people on the dining room table. I couldnt figure out for the life of me how to turn the dining room table on the boat into a bed as its all fixed and doesnt fold down in any way. If people are drinking the dining room table is going to get real gross.

When I went all of us had our own private bedroom, much nicer as the beds are small to begin with. It was already crowded. We had like 7 people on a 14 person boat, two toilets Other people who packed 22/22 on their boat said they only had two toilets too and holy shit it got really gross and smelly in there and so crowded.

I went waterways and didn't have any problems.

As for fireworks, yes youre not allowed to fire them. You can buy them however, but not use them according to the letter of the law.
    You pull the table off the poles, and it fits level with the bench seat. Cushions go on top.

We had a Waterway houseboat 2 weeks ago, and were happy with their service. Our starter broke off the motor (sheared bolt, and broken mounting bracket). We called it in, and a dude came about half an hour later. Fixed it in about 20 mins. Said it happens a fair bit, haha.. I figured when he had an extra long drill bit to get the broken bolt out, and a spare bracket already..

As for fireworks, we were told that you can't fire them off in any of the provincial park areas...which apparently are most of the beaches. We didn't bother, but a few other boats shot off some anyhow.
    WTB:
    87+ AW11 ds valence panel, ds fender, rear visor. Burgundy interior parts as well.
    7th gen Celica antenna assembly

Please PM me, thanks!

Thanks for all the input so far guys. Ya we're not even going to bother with the fireworks I guess. We're also not gonna bother with the extra's even picking them up somewhere else. We're all first timers, so I won't exactly know where to tell them to meet us and then I won't exactly know where to take the boat to meet them. I'll see how this trip goes, learn the ropes and then if we go again next year, start taking the risks haha.

But my other question wasn't answered yet. What things should I look for when going over the boat? Would anyone suggest taking pictures of things before departure as proof if anything goes wrong?

Again, thanks for all the input, learning a lot, now can't wait to experience them. The good stuff at least.
    Mercs

My Ride
    2005 F350

they have a checklist of stuff they make you go through before you depart so that is covered. other than that, just make sure you look to see any existing damage on the boat and point it out to the person doing the walk-through with you.

as for fireworks, the 2 times i went, we set them off on the beaches at night and didn't have a problem. just make sure you clean up after yourself. don't fuck it up for everyone by leaving garbage behind.

the first time i went, we stopped at one of the party beaches and it was a blast!

the next morning though was a clusterfuck. the wildlife cops came out to the beach and made all the boats that were still there clean up the beach directly in front of their boats or else get fined.

my boat cleaned up a 30 foot section of the beach in front of us but the guys next to us just ignored them and were fined $500.

My Ride
    2005 F350

oh and bring a camera because chicks in bikinis 90% of the time is awesome. haha. and post them up after you get back.

unless you're a chubby chaser than ignore this post.

My Ride
    03 infiniti G35

Originally posted by SOAB
    fuck waterways.

i had that exact problem with waterways, did i go with you? ahha. floated there for so long... Bad experience with waterways. probably won't go with them again.

My Ride
    2005 F350

maybe. haha. whats your name?