Quantcast
Red light situation - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Red light situation

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Default Red light situation

Coming home on Blackfoot Trail, I was going 60 (speed limit is 70) and the light turns yellow and red. I tried to brake when it turned yellow. But I started sliding and was quite sure I would've slid right into the middle of the intersection. So I just hit the gas hoping to just get through the intersection, and I continue sliding but eventually get through the intersection. Unfortunately for me there is a red light camera there and it snapped my plate.

Is there a point to fighting the ticket saying the conditions wouldn't allow me to stop on time? Or should I just bite the bullet?

I'd also want to add that another pick up went throught the intersection at the same time and there were 2 seperate flashes. Maybe that makes a difference.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

^
    they'd probably say, if you cant stop, then you wernt driving to the conditions etc...

My Ride
    335i

If it only snapped once with you, there isn't a need to worry too much.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    996 911 Turbo

Originally posted by ryder_23
    ^
    they'd probably say, if you cant stop, then you wernt driving to the conditions etc...
    Ya people were concerned about how they would treat these situations in the winter since its slippery when the first snowfall hit. The cop (on the news) said that the weater is no excuse. You should be able to stop because you should be driving for the conditions...after all the speed limit is for ideal conditions.

Hope you didn't get one.

Yeah but if you are past your point of no return then you have to go through and he was going 10k under the limit. Yellow means clear the intersection or stop if you are able to so he should fight it.

My Ride
    B6 A4 / 600RR

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    If it only snapped once with you, there isn't a need to worry too much.
    really? how does it make a difference?

My Ride
    996 911 Turbo

Originally posted by Moonracer
    Yeah but if you are past your point of no return then you have to go through and he was going 10k under the limit. Yellow means clear the intersection or stop if you are able to so he should fight it.
    The cameras are timed so that you can go through the yellow. They only take your pic if its a (i believe the term is hard red???) blatent red light, not if you go through a yellow.

Go ahead and try and fight it. You only have time to lose but don't be dissapointed if you get nowhere.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Okie dokie.
    Red Light Camera's work by taking 2 pictures, one as you enter the intersection, another as you exit (well a little after, then before technically), to prove that you went through the light, or atleast entered the intersection completely.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to win a fight against that ticket, because, like the cops said on the news, if you can't stop, you are driving too fast.
    Moonracer, if you are going 10k under, then your point of no return is later.
    so if you went past your point of no return for 60kph, but were going 50kph, that would be wrong, and wouldn't be an excuse for running the light.
    You're better off going in saying your car was on fire and you were trying to put it out =)
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    4Runner Trail Edition

I was bout to say the same thing but less technically.
    In Vancouver I got one and they send you 2 photos proving that you ran the red before the line and then proving it by another picture of you in the middle of the intersection. I am guessin they do the same in calgary too

Originally posted by Zero102
    Okie dokie.
    Red Light Camera's work by taking 2 pictures, one as you enter the intersection, another as you exit (well a little after, then before technically), to prove that you went through the light, or atleast entered the intersection completely.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to win a fight against that ticket, because, like the cops said on the news, if you can't stop, you are driving too fast.
    so if you went past your point of no return for 60kph, but were going 50kph, that would be wrong, and wouldn't be an excuse for running the light.
    You're better off going in saying your car was on fire and you were trying to put it out =)

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Yeah there were 2 snaps. I just figured it was because there was also another car right beside me that was in the intersection
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by Zero102
    Okie dokie.

Yes your point of no return would be later by going slower but don't forget the slippery roads where he was going under the limit! In which case the point of no return is farther back. If it's excessively slick then they may be leanient...lol It's a bit of a long shot but it's worth giving POINTS a call.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

your cars not fast enough to hit 60 on blackfoot
    I smell

My Ride
    NC1

Don't you have snow tires and ABS? That's weird how you didn't brake in time especially when you are going under the limit

I think you are SOL
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Skateboard

Just go fight it. My friend got one for running a yellow. He didn't even have to come up with an excuse. He told me that there was a chart on the wall that they use to reduce the ticket by certain amounts. He paid a little over $100 for a $250 ticket.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Lol, a chart, I didn't know that.
    Hrm, just for fighting it, we give him.... 40% off.
    Oh, and a coupon for a free big mac =)
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    '99 cbr 600

Originally posted by ryder_23
    ^

frostyda9 Guest

I think the whole argument about the later braking point is moot....your point of no return may be later but it cancels out because you have less momentum to scrub off. If you honestly tried to stop for the light and couldn't, you WERE driving too fast for conditions.

My Ride
    STI

How dirty was your car at the time!!!!! maybe they won't be able to make out the plate number!!!!

My Ride
    Bicycle

A cop can give out a violation at any speed.

If he thinks 50km/h is too fast for a snowy day, technically he can give you a ticket (will that hold up is another matter).

If you ran the red @ full speed, you get ticketed for sure. No arguing about it.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Seems to me there is a ticket for driving too fast for conditions, so Xtrema, you are correct, and I believe that ticket in specific would hold up in court.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast