Quantcast
grip training - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: grip training

Default grip training

For the big pullers out there, what do you guys do to supplement grip training? I find that grip strength is at least one big limiting factor in my deadlifts, and I've been looking into different training methods. I've abandoned the hook grip and have been strictly using double over hand as much as possible, and only switching to alternate when absolutely necessary. In 5/3/1, Wendler recommends "Kroc rows", high rep (20) 1-arm db rows. Do you find that grip strength better responds to duration (higher reps, longer hold times) vs low rep, higher weight (ie heavy forearm curls)? I've also discovered the rice bucket, and have been using higher reps (20 per hand) with a variety of movements and have noticed that my grip isn't taxed as much when deadlifting. And does anyone use grippers?
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    TL

Static Holds - just bodyweight hanging from a pullup bar
    Plate pinches
    Kroc Rows - this is the one that helped me quite a bit, not only from the grip side but quite a bit on my lockout.

One other thing that I overlooked for the longest time, was my calluses. I file these down or just cut them off. When I have them, what I notice is that they add to the slipping in my grip just due to the skin stretching a bit.
    Last edited by Oz-; 07-13-2009 at 01:36 PM.

^^ what do you use for plate pinches? All my oly plates have lips on them. I've started doing static holds as well, and I do callous maintenance as well. Keep them nice and thin to avoid ripping.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Rice digs are awesome.

Lint, try a static hold with a fat bar. If your gym has one of these, load it with a "60 second" weight. Of course this weight is to be determined but set the safety bars in a power rack about 3" from lockout. Pick up the loaded fat bar and stand at lockout for 60 seconds. Enjoy the burn.

And of course the favorite - If your gym has a track - DB farmers walk. Grab a couple 90's a give'r.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by lint
    ^^ what do you use for plate pinches? All my oly plates have lips on them. I've started doing static holds as well, and I do callous maintenance as well. Keep them nice and thin to avoid ripping.
    Just a couple of 10# plates, if they have lips use them back to back. If not just line up the shapes/lines so that it is fairly flat.

Also you can get those mountain climber things from MEC, they are used for each finger and spring loaded type of action.

But to be quite honest...Kroc rows and static hold from the pull-up bar were the single best things for my grip.

I have a home gym, which means no fat bar. But what I've seen is guys who load up one end of a barbell and then grip that 2" end and lift it for a static hold. I'm going to give that a try. No track either, so I've done static dumbbell holds as well.

From the couple of answers so far, seems that grip is best trained by endurance/time. Since I don't do curls at all, I didn't really want to start with forearm curls.
    heloc that shit

campus boards

My Ride
    TL

Here is a great article by Alex Mardell (world class Canadian PL'er)

http://www.thestrengthcenter.com/mem...1&articleID=12
    Last edited by Oz-; 07-13-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    campus boards
    What?
    heloc that shit

Originally posted by Oz-
    Here is a great article by Alex Mardell (world class Canadian PL'er)

http://www.thestrengthcenter.com/mem...p;articleID=12
    thanks, lots of good exercises there
    heloc that shit