38 31.40%
  • 335xi sedan

83 68.60%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: G37 AWD Sedan or 335xi sedan

My Ride
    2006 Civic Si

Default G37 AWD Sedan or 335xi sedan

So looking into buying a new vehicle for the wife and we've narrowed it down to these 2 cars. We'd be getting the top package for the G37 AWD and the M package for the 335xi.

How do these 2 compare to eachother in seating comfort, driving comfort, power (city driving), reliability, maintenance + maintenance fees, cabin room.

Please don't post here and say "The 335 cuz it's
    " Looks don't come too much into factor here
    Originally posted by King Banana

So confused, how do you get the other menu, is there like a secret chinese handshake, or do you need to bring in a jar of blood from a chinese daughter?
    I need like a how-to - order chinese food for white people.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

I'm biased; however, the perfomermance modifications for the 3 litre TT is amazing. The looks of this car, and the new refresh for the L.E.D rear and front indicators, the headlight update, the front bumper change, looks amazing.

335i FTW.

You can see the new indicators, headlight, grill, bumper, and hood here. Minor changes from the 08, but to an enthusiast will notice it and it makes a HUGE difference.

Besides from the small changes this mid year refresh, I personally wouldn't select the AWD (wheel gap is bigger due to ride height), and some suspension mods are more costly due to the AWD. You stated this is for your wife, and I keep talking about mods - so that's my next question, do you NEED the TT?

What about a 328XI?

I think this car is definately a sport saloon, and it's just waiting to be unleashed. Check out e90fanatics for the numbers these cars are putting down with small mods - easily beating e46 M's!
    Last edited by scat19; 07-14-2009 at 02:05 PM.

Me thinks the Infinity looks cheap compared to the Bimmer.

Overall I think the G35/G37 sedan is lower quality than the Bimmer - and its the car you settle on if you can't get the Bimmer.

This coming from a long time Nissan fanboy(-ish).

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

there's about a 10K difference between the two cars.

a loaded G37S AWD is 50k OTD, a 335xi with M pack and possibly nav is about 60K.

IMO the 335 is the better car power, performance wise.

We've had the chance to test drive both during this spring.

In the end, we've decided luxury / looks / power of the G to be more convenient than the 3. Seating is bigger, interior is more appealing in comparison to the 'spartan' BMW interior.

Although we're European and know BMWs like the back of our hands, we loved the G37x and just ... liked the 3.

We also took in consideration the poor service we would get long term from local BMW, and that tilted our balance toward the G even more.

Happy shopping!

My Ride
    beater

unless you have a lot of money to blow, get the G. it is close to 10k cheaper than the bmw, even though the bmw isnt worth that extra 10k unless you really want to be a bmw owner.

the G is bigger, roomier, has a nicer interior, is more reliable and in general the maintenance fee's wont make you feel like youve just been robbed.

obviously, you have to test drive both before you make a decision, but in all honesty you cant go wrong with either. good luck

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I prefer to drive the 3, but the G has a better case for owning. Personally would stick with the 3 though, family has owned a few and they are addictive.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

BMW is a better car, Infiniti is a better deal.
    Also maintenance is free on the BMW for 4 years last I checked it wasn't on the Infiniti (this might have changed not sure). Not many people on this site keep cars past 5 years so who cares about after warranty.

Infiniti is the narrowest car in its class but it is long. However it has the same rear legroom and headroom as the 3 series and the same front and rear shoulder room. The only advantage is in front leg and headroom.

I would also say no to AWD but since it's for the wife maybe it's for the best.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

G37. Better service, cheaper everything (maintenance, parts, service) and a very high quality car.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by FLARE
    G37. Better service, cheaper everything (maintenance, parts, service) and a very high quality car.
    how can it get cheaper than free? does infiniti pay you to bring your car in?

My Ride
    NC1

335i unless you want to be like 89coupe, then you get a G.

Fully loaded 335xi is around $950 on 48 month lease. It's perfect. Free maintenance. Bag it and return it.

I am actually thinking about picking one up too. 3.9% lease not bad.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    94 DB

What about Re-Sale?

I know there is a good chance that has no bearing on your purchase... but the G sedan isn't known to hold a strong value, and it's probably going to be a little bit harder to sell than the Bimmer will be, down the road.

You would think there are a lot of people waiting for 335's to get a bit cheaper on the private market (i.e. Me) before they taste that lag free turbo fun.

In the end, do what you want. Both have great upsides, but just don't have regrets one way or the other...

We have a 335xi. The performance is great, but if that is not the main attribute you are looking for in a car, go for the G. The combination of twin turbo and AWD makes a great winter car, even better with winters.

Do not forget though, you will have to deal with a BMW dealership... Yea yea it has the 4 year free maintenance, blah blah blah. It also takes 2-3 weeks to book an appointment and your free oil change intervals are around 20,000kms Since we aren't leasing we get one in between around 10,000 and that is around $150.

They will always try to deny you coverage for all warranty options. For instance my rear brakes make that infamous brake squeal that 3s are famous for and we bought an extra warranty package for brakes and rotors for $900, ON TOP OF the regular warranty. When I was in they tried to charge me a "brake cleaning fee". Overall, a big headache to deal with every time I am in.

If I was you I would lease it, get it chipped (the ones you can remove before going into dealership), and flog the shit out of it for a few years.

My Ride
    2006 Civic Si

So my wife and I test drove the 335xi sedan with the executive package last night and we were really impressed. 2 things that bugged us though. Lack of room in the back seat and the flippin cup holders. Like wtf? My wife is an abid coffee drinker and all the coffee drinkers know that coffee cups leak a bit from the top.

Ride quality was phenominal. So great that she might not want to go with the M package due to the stiffer suspension and larger wheels. It was also realy easy to go over the speed limit without even knowing it lol.

Time to test drive the G

If ride quality is even remotely close to the 335, the cabin space in the back and cup holders position could be the selling point between the 2.
    Originally posted by King Banana

So confused, how do you get the other menu, is there like a secret chinese handshake, or do you need to bring in a jar of blood from a chinese daughter?
    I need like a how-to - order chinese food for white people.

Originally posted by gpomp
    how can it get cheaper than free? does infiniti pay you to bring your car in?
    This comment makes no sense.

Did you think about what happens after the warranty on a car expires? The owner of the vehicle incurs the costs of maintenance.

Fuck beyond is full of know-it-alls

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by GQNammer
    If ride quality is even remotely close to the 335, the cabin space in the back and cup holders position could be the selling point between the 2.
    That's basically it. I hate the cup holders in any BMWs. And getting out of the back seat for anyone over 5' is a chore in a 3.

335 is a better car compare to G35. But I have not tested G37 with the new 7spd that most critic are raving about, the gap may be closer now.

If you lease, and don't plan to keep it after, just go with BMW. While BMW may be 10K more, it also got a slightly better residuals which mean monthly leases should be similar for both cars.

Reliability goes, Infiniti probably has a better record. My buddy's 335xi got electrical issues which turn off all power options in the car. Took a month to fix and had to drive a rental Buick which pissed him off to no end. You don't pay $1000 a month to drive a Buick.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-15-2009 at 11:25 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Did you think about what happens after the warranty on a car expires? The owner of the vehicle incurs the costs of maintenance.

It makes perfect sense.

For the first 4 years, BMW pays for all the maintenance (well, you do as it is put into the price of the car).

Infiniti does not do this.

When leasing, nobody cares what happens after the warranty expires as the car is long gone and it is someone elses problem.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Most luxury car owners don't keep it beyond lease or warranty expiration.

Infiniti do have horrible resale which is why they really can't beat BMW on lease payments. I just quoted a 48 month G37 convertible and residual for that is 37%. A equally priced 328 convertible has a 42% residual. Combine that with higher rate, no free service, BMW is a smarter choice financially.

Reliability isn't a huge concern when you're buying new.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-15-2009 at 11:42 AM.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by GQNammer

335 and G37 have the same leg room and head room in the back. G37 looks roomier but it's not.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast