Quantcast
buying used cars at dealers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: buying used cars at dealers

Default buying used cars at dealers

i was wondering when u buy a used car at a dealership is thier any hidden fees after tax?

liek i went to lexus edmonton and put in a offer on a car and when he was writing up the details he said that all lexus used car would have to have the mandatory lexus used car package, which is $585 more ontop of the final sale.

the package includes

full exterior detail
    full interrior detail + shampoo
    full Tank of gas
    full car inspections

i didn't buy the car casue i thought this package was BS and the guy was trying to rip me off. i wasn't sure if the guy was trying to sell me something i didn't want or it was a mandatory thing thier at lexus. can anyone comfirm?
    Last edited by anhsicun; 07-14-2009 at 09:53 PM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

They will always gouge you with a lien search, registration, and whatever they think they can pass off to you.

My Ride
    Ram

depends on the dealership

My Ride
    2G Talon

Airdrie Dodge doesn't charge fees.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Full tank of gas for a used car?LOL, the dealership I work for won't even give you half, maybe 1/4 tank depending on how much you spent but we don't charge for CFD, thats included for all cars sold
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Fremont

Bought my IS300 July2007 there. He didn't mention anything like that to me.
    -

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by RUQUIKR
    Airdrie Dodge doesn't charge fees.
    No but unfortunately they commit more than their fair share of ethical crimes. I don't want to side-track the OP's thread so I'll stop there.

For fees like that, it does depend on the individual dealership. Some will roll their costs into the cost of the car, some will charge it on top, and some will crank up their price and charge their fees. Basically you won't get the same answer at any 2 dealerships unless they are run by the same people. Shop around, if their price including the fees is still better than another dealership's or if they are offering a better car, then go with it. Unfortunately you are at their mercy when it comes to the fees, but you can still vote with your wallet and take your business elsewhere if you can find a better deal. Best of luck.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

What kind of car is it?
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    K-car

When i last worked at a dealership (about 10 years ago)they had a fee called a "lot pack"which was right around $600,this was for expences such as advertising,washes,and cost from the service dept,this came off the profit once the salesman sold the car,but most of the time the manager just rolled it in the cost of the car,so the sales rep never noticed it,some of the more "experienced" salesman would try to pass this cost on to the buyer,they would drop it quickly though if they thought the customer might walk.Maybe this is what your sales rep is trying out on you.

thanks for the info, i guess i will go more of private sale unless its a reallie good deal at the dealerships. seems pretty stupid to pay for something extra when u don't need it.

Redlyne_mr2 - its a 2000 white lexus ls 400 with 145 km

corsvette - idon;t know my salesmen was a idoit anything i ask abt the car he doesn't know, he trys to BS u abt things and his favourite line is " don't worry its lexus ".
    Last edited by anhsicun; 07-15-2009 at 12:00 AM.

Good choice. It's the Millennium edition like mine.

That $585 add on is BS. Most dealships should throw that in for free. Negotiate on an all-in price and don't let them talk you in to adding anything extra.

Determine what you want to pay all-in with taxes. Then make on offer based on that number (start lower so you have room to negotiate) and tell them thats what your willing to pay as your out the door cost and that they can work out the math however they want to break down their bogus charges.

Originally posted by Sky
    That $585 add on is BS. Most dealships should throw that in for free. Negotiate on an all-in price and don't let them talk you in to adding anything extra.

My Ride
    2010 Acura CSX Type S

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Don't pay for that, they can't make it mandatory.
    But they'll also try and get you to pay a tire tax and air conditioning tax, it comes on every car sold here. Though not sure why because the original owner would have paid it and it's the same tires so maybe you shouldn't pay this neither.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Originally posted by Sky
    Good choice. It's the Millennium edition like mine.

yah i been looking fro awhile but no great dela sto be had yet. anways how u like ur car so far ? u notice any major problems with ls ?

i'll just wait a lil bit more then give them a call see if they want to reconsider my offer. i thought they would be wanting to sell it quick cuz the car been sitting thier for like 6 months. anotehr question is do u guys think asking 14,000 all in with cash is a low offer? the car is up for $15,999.

never had a single problem. LSs have always been extremely reliable. Drive train is bullet proof. Just keep up with the regular maintenance. Fit and finish is topnoch.

14,000 all-in is reasonable. If I sell mine today, I hope to get around 16,000 or less.

My Ride
    Bicycle

It's bull. Unless that fee comes with some sort CPO warranty, otherwise it's worthless, walk away.

$14 all in is reasonable for private, probably won't budge from a dealer. And it's not like there are tons of people wanting a LS anyway, so may as well try.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Regardless if you are buying new or used, you should always negotiate the price of the car INCLUDING all fees. Be very clear that they'd better tell you about everything up front before you negotiate the price.
    The last two car's I've bought at dealerships, I've done this, and it's been no hassle for me at all. Every salesman has a calculator at thier desk, make them use it.

As long as they think they can push you around or try to confuse you with "fees" then they will. if they see that you aren't going to be pushed around, then they stop trying. It's simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

if the dealer refuses to sell the car to you and sells you a dirty ass car I would question that car anyway
    Last edited by 2002civic; 09-01-2011 at 03:49 PM.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Whenever I talk to a Stealership about used car prices I give them my offer "all in". Then if they try to tack on any extras, you've got an out,. Granted theyll just embed the prices in to the offer, but as long as your comfortable with the "all in" price, at least there shouldn't be any surprises.

Most added fees are bogus.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast