Quantcast
Question of Notice: How to "quit" but transfer within the company? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Question of Notice: How to "quit" but transfer within the company?

My Ride
    Mom-van

Default Question of Notice: How to "quit" but transfer within the company?

So... as you probably know from the 20% off coupons, I work for the Head Office for Sport Chek (actually the Forzani Group). I'm moving back to Regina for school in the fall and have verbally told my boss of my intentions, but nothing was ever really a solid decision.

The courts have cleared me to go (single parent -- father is here), and I'm registered in school, and because I've been with this company since I was old enough to work, I'd like to keep my ties within it. I have spoken to my old manager at my old store in Regina who wants to give me full time hours. (Yes, I know. Full course load, full time work, single parent, but will be living with my mom which will be a HUGE help).

I haven't given my boss official word that I'm for sure leaving and now she is away for a few weeks due to medical reasons. Obviously this is probably too long to wait (considering I sent the going away party invitation to some people at work already haha... oops...) so I was planning on speaking to my boss' boss.

What I'm asking is: What should I put in writing since it isn't exactly a resignation, it's more of a transfer from the head office to the store? I'm just not sure how to word this letter... they will see it in their eyes as a resignation because they don't really care what's going on in the stores.
    ~*Leah*~

i would just write them up a letter telling them exactly what your plan is, that you wish to stay with the company and you're simply transferring stores?

if you said "hay guys im leaving, gona go work at ur sask store, peace" it would be a different story

Browse around your internal job postings if there is even an open spot where you want to transfer to. From there, just write a sincere letter of your intentions to transfer stores and why. Include what you just said, how you wanted to keep your ties with the company since you've been with them for so long and would like to continue working for them.

That's how I did it when I changed locations due to being accepted to SAIT a couple years ago. As long as you have been a hard working and valuable employee, I'm sure they will have no problem working around your situation to keep you.

My Ride
    AWOL

Ask HR about your 'internal transfer policy'. Usually it goes something like: if the new boss wants you, they work out with your current boss a 'transition plan', and then give you the new offer. I've done it twice, at two different companies. You might encounter some resistance to the old boss letting you go, or company policy that requires 6/12mo in the same position before transferring, but I don't think either of those will be a problem for you.

You want to avoid 'quitting' at all costs. First, you might wind up jobless :P and secondly it is A LOT more work for HR to process you as a 'new' employee, and they won't like you very much. Best to stay on their good side!
    Last edited by Grogador; 07-15-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Write out a one page letter with the subject Internal Transfer Request. Address if to the Forzani Group HR and explain, short and to the point, your intent to move. Provide contact information so they can follow up and ... good luck

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Ask you HR department. Only they can give you advice on your company's policies regarding transfers.
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!