Quantcast
Who's into BBQ? Proper BBQ - Smokey, low & slow - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's into BBQ? Proper BBQ - Smokey, low & slow

Default Who's into BBQ? Proper BBQ - Smokey, low & slow

I've always enjoyed a nice rack of ribs, the occational brisket and rotissery chicken...

However, my attempts have been futile and I had always attributed it to my equipment... but really its my lack of technique and patience

I recently picked up a Webber q' and though it is superior to my old q', it really "grilled" my food the same...

After watching some BBQ shows, and reading some online articles... I really realize now that proper Q'ing is all about indirect heat, low slow and with smoke.

I unfortunately have a regular propane grill, but this webber has a built in smoke box, which to me is a "new" method to use.

Well, I followed some fool proof recipies online, and I'll never ever try grilling my ribs ever again.

Pretty simple, soak some wood chips -- all sorts of wood ranging from maples, hickory, mesquite, to apple. Throw it in the box, above the single burner...
    Crank the burner to get the wood smoking, then turn it down until the Q' reads 210-230 and throw in your prep'd meat. Oh and you 'should' put a drip pan with some water underneath the meat (under the grill)

Wait and drink alot of beer... and then mmm mmm you have tender juicy flavorful meat.

I like making my own rubs and brines, especially for brisket and baby back.

I've also made pork shoulder for pulled park, butt for back bacon, and belly for succulant bacon...

I don't overpower the meat with yukky sweat bbq sauce, but flavors that enhance the flavors ranging from onion powder, paprika, brown sugar and garlic.
    If I want heat, throw some cayanne into the rub...

Mmmm
    Also because I don't pre-salt the meat, you don't get that dehydrated feeling after downing a rack of ribs or eating a pound and a half of bacon lol

LOL

Someones been watching too much Rob Rainford.

My Ride
    2013 GTR BE, 2010 Jeep SRT8

high five o/\o

I am huge into bbqing and most the time i will use indirect. basically what you wrote above is how i tend to do things ... I have a really old bbq (plus a huge stainless steel one for grilling)with a left and right element, i use tinfoil with soaked chips to smoke the meat as the old ass bbq has no tray for that. I find my old bbq has character and that give the meat the extra flavor.

My favorite has to be pork tenderloin, it come out so nicely when smoked, I basically run on a paprika, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, brown sugar mixture onto it and use apple or hickory chips.

let it indirect for about an hour and then sit tented in tin foil for 10-15 min before i cut it into 1/2" slices then ake a nice blended sauce for it depending on what i feel like that day (made a peanut bbq and korean bbq sauce for it last weekend)

bbq'in is an art that not all can master, i cant remember the last time i had hotdogs or hamburgers touch any of my grills

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by sputnik
    LOL

Haha my thoughts exactly,.... That show always makes me so damn hungry.

I have never tried the whole smoking thing myself, but I should one of these days. It looks delicious.

I have a smoker at the cabin in montana and the house in houston. I love to cook brisket. I would do it here too, but I like to smoke with Mesquite wood for added flavor, but don't know if you could get it locally and I bet it is $$$

Originally posted by dawwgy
    i cant remember the last time i had hotdogs or hamburgers touch any of my grills
    You apparently aren't making your hamburgers right.

Originally posted by CSMRX7
    I have a smoker at the cabin in montana and the house in houston. I love to cook brisket. I would do it here too, but I like to smoke with Mesquite wood for added flavor, but don't know if you could get it locally and I bet it is $$$
    bags from grillpro at Sobey's for $3.49
    BBQ Galore
    Bass Pro Shop
    Wholesale Sport

Originally posted by Hash_man

Haha my thoughts exactly,.... That show always makes me so damn hungry.

I have never tried the whole smoking thing myself, but I should one of these days. It looks delicious.
    Steven Raichlen

BBQ University...
    Damn I went to the wrong school

My Ride

You apparently aren't making your hamburgers right.
    im talking moreso the ones that are store bought (usually frozen) ... I hate it when someone invites me over for a bbq and its those tiny hotdogs and frozen hamburgers

hamburgers that are homemade with more ingredients then just ground beef and onions can be ok but there is so much more that that bbq can be used for!

I have to admit, I do like grilling dem superstore 1/4 - 1/3oz burgers, and they come in alot of variety ranging from Sirloin, Prime Rib to Chedder

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Superstore has some fine burgers.
    I've done the low heat smoking on my propane grill using a cast iron smoker box. Result was pretty good, but too much hassle for the result. I most only grill now with direct heat, and the occasional cedar plank salmon.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    nissan

Oh man, I am all about taking the time to do it right.

I have a normal propane grill that gets quick duty meals and slow rotisserie chickens/roasts etc, this is perfect when I need to grill up something quick or need the rotisserie.

but when its time to pull out all of the stops nothing beats the good old weber charcoal grill. It can be low and slow or hilariously hot for that perfect seared steak, and acts as a smoker if I want. The charcoal is definitely more time consuming and more prep/clean up, but for some reason it just tastes better.

and nothing beats hand made burgers

use: onion powder, garlic pow, paprika, brown sugar, cayyenne, italian seasoning, fresh black pepper and whatever the hell else you feel like, add some diced onion, 1 egg and a pound or so of lean ground beef.

make the patties even sized, and grill. Pro-tip- make the burgers a little thinner in the middle and they will shrink less.

pre fab burgers are crap in comparison, but I will say they do perfect for last minute or when you are grilling for alot of people who may not appreciate the time spent making from scratch.

LOL

is that the black guy on food network?

if so damn that guy can bbq!

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by dawwgy

I hate it when someone invites me over for a bbq and its those tiny hotdogs and frozen hamburgers
    You hate it when people invite you over for free food? This is probably why you don't have any friends.

Originally posted by GQBalla

is that the black guy on food network?

if so damn that guy can bbq!

My Ride

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

You hate it when people invite you over for free food? This is probably why you don't have any friends.
    yeah buddy thats it ... yeah u got it ... loser

made me some tasty side ribs with some hickory and apple smoke

Mmmm mmm

Too bad I ran out of propane halfway thru and had to cook till midnight
    ARG!

My Ride
    94 ST205 / 88 ED8

That's pretty much the way I smoke my briskets. I do a few things slightly differently though.

I only soak half the wood chips and leave the other half of them dry. I find it helps the "smokiness"

I usually get a shallow pan and fill it with beer or whiskey or tequila and put it over the hot part of the grill to help fill the BBQ with delicious alcohol vapors.

The wood chips I just wrap in aluminum foil and poke holes in. It's cheap and pretty easy.

Boiling the brisket a little bit before hand helps make the meat more tender once it's smoked

I usually place the brisket on the grill with the "fatty" side facing up, so the fat kind of leaks down through the meat.

Sounds like you have found yourself a delicious hobby.

Smoking Food > all

also,

Homemade Rub > Anything else, especially BBQ sauce. Us Texans like our BBQ without sauce.
    Texas Nick

My Ride
    2012 300C SRT8 /2015 F150 Platinum

Superstore's Double Cheese and Bacon burgers are awesome.

A homemade burrger is usually best, but when time doesn't permit these work real well.
    2014 Jeep SRT, 2015 F150 Platinum , 2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG

[Do][---+---][oD]

Originally posted by texasnick
    That's pretty much the way I smoke my briskets. I do a few things slightly differently though.

I only soak half the wood chips and leave the other half of them dry. I find it helps the "smokiness"

I usually get a shallow pan and fill it with beer or whiskey or tequila and put it over the hot part of the grill to help fill the BBQ with delicious alcohol vapors.

The wood chips I just wrap in aluminum foil and poke holes in. It's cheap and pretty easy.

Boiling the brisket a little bit before hand helps make the meat more tender once it's smoked

I usually place the brisket on the grill with the "fatty" side facing up, so the fat kind of leaks down through the meat.

Sounds like you have found yourself a delicious hobby.

Smoking Food > all

also,

Homemade Rub > Anything else, especially BBQ sauce. Us Texans like our BBQ without sauce.
    I think its almost a "must" to wet the wood chips. I mix up the wood as well, sometimes using dry apple or maple to accent wet hickory.

I've used beer in the pan before, but honestly I've not noticed as much of a difference, much like the use of mustard or sometimes paprika.

A standard "good" southern rub usually consists simply of brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, caynne pepper, kosher salt and pepper. Then anything else you'd like like cumin, thyme, basil etc...

Yup, low & slow foods rock!

I'm thinking of getting a kettle just for this purpose

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast