Quantcast
Things to do in Hawaii - Oahu - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Things to do in Hawaii - Oahu

My Ride
    09 wrx265

Default Things to do in Hawaii - Oahu

Hey guys,

I'm going to Hawaii saturday morning for a week, we have some stuff to do but seeing what else to do there.

We are staying at Makaha hotel in Waikiki

saturday - we are just planning to visit some mall, drive around

sunday - tentatively mountain bike tour
    http://www.hawaiiactivities.com/us/h.../#package39219

monday - my sis and bro-in law are planning to go snorkling, I'm looking to either do the same thing or island hope to kauai

tuesday - pearl harbor tour

wedesday - big island tour, otherwise was plannign to go to Kauai island this day while they are doing the big island tour, otherwise drive around oahu

thursday - rest day

friday - polynesian center

saturday - day off

sunday back to calgary

was wondering, whats the best way to island hope.. Kauai island is like the Mecca for me as thats where they shot some of Jurassic Park

or any other places you guys recommend to visit in Oahu, I'm not planning to spend more than $500-600 for entertainment.

and my plan is taking pictures..so good scenery please
    Last edited by cityhunter2501; 07-21-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Diamond Head if you like pictures. Only costs a dollar to get in but bring water.

Go have some drinks on the patio of the Moana Surfrider.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Almost all of Hawaii is good scenery.

The only way to island hop is by plane. Superferry went bankrupt.

They actually shot some scenes of Jurassic Park in Oahu as well at Kualoa Ranch. You can go ATVing or horseback riding at the ranch.

+1 for Diamond Head which is visible from Waikiki

My Ride
    09 wrx265

thanks for the recommendation guys, anyone been to Kauai by any chance?

I'm flying to Kauai island on Sunday, 7-26
    going to visit Poipu Beach, and whatever I can see on my way to Waimea Canyon and Camp Sloggett Hostel

Monday, I'm planning to hit Hanalei Valley/Bay, Wailua State park and the Falls, spend the night at Kauai International Hostel

fly back Tuesday morning to Honolulu, do Pearl Harbor Tour.

Wednesday-Saturday - still deciding places to hit in Oahu.

Diamond Head is definitely a must see for me though.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I've done Diamond head twice now.

It is a decent hike. Just be prepared for HEAT. bring at least 1 bottle of water per person.

The price is either $1 per person if you Hike in (take bus) or $5 / car. I had to wait 10 minutes for a parking spot last time.

If you want a 90% chance of seeing a sea turtle, go to this beach on the north shore:
    http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...06899&t=h&z=17

I have seen turtles in other places, but this is the only place I have found where they come up onto the beach and sun themselves on a regular basis. Funny enough, I did not see any turtles at turtle bay... haha.

I would also suggest stopping at the Dole Plantation to get some pineapple or some Dole whip. It is like party in your mouth!

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Great burgers right on Waikiki Strip. Lots to walk around and see and then go for some beers and have a Burger, served by great talent.

Originally posted by bwling
    They actually shot some scenes of Jurassic Park in Oahu as well at Kualoa Ranch. You can go ATVing or horseback riding at the ranch.

+1 for Diamond Head which is visible from Waikiki
    Do this, it's great! When you drive up to it you're totally expecting to see this scene I've attached

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Travel

If you want a good view you should head up to the Pali lookout. Awesome view of the windward side of Oahu. Warning though if you go up there, they don't call it the windward side for nothing.

If you go down to the lower part of the lookout, there's a trail that will take you on the Old Pali Highway if you're interested in pictures. It's also the site where the Oahu army was defeated, apparently many of them pushed/jumped from the cliffs so there's a ton of stories about the trails being haunted.

+1 for Dole Plantation

If you're driving towards the north shore and happen to pass by the Famous Kahuku Shrimp Truck, be sure to stop and try a plate! Looks ghetto, but it's

I'd personally say Big Island over Kuai as far as things to see that are truly unique. I was just never really that fond of Kuai I guess. Granted I own a Condo in maui and go there for 2 months every year lol.

My Ride
    09 wrx265

I'll visit Big Island some other time, heard its great too but dont have enough $ and time to go there this year.

so for now, my schedule in Oahu is looking out like this

Wednesday
    -Dole Plant
    -Turtle beach
    -Famous Kahuku Shrimp Truck - if i find it, have whereabout location bwling?

Thursday
    - Polynesian Center
    - Diamond Head

Friday
    - MAKAHA HOTEL CHECK OUT (12PM)
    - CHECK-IN AQUA WAIKIKI WAVE HOTEL (3PM)

Saturday
    - Kualoa Ranch

where's Pali Lookout?
    Last edited by cityhunter2501; 07-23-2009 at 08:37 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I would do Diamond head before the PCC.

PCC will take most of the day.

Originally posted by benyl
    I would do Diamond head before the PCC.

PCC will take most of the day.
    I don't know if I would even combine both in the same day, that's a lot to do, PCC is on the other side of the island from Diamond head pretty much. Diamond head is better to do in the early morning though to beat the heat and crowds. PCC was a full day thing for me, but we did the Luau and the evening Horizons show (which I recommend).

Originally posted by cityhunter2501

where's Pali Lookout?
    Pali lookout is in the middle of the island, pretty much on highway 61 that takes you from Kailua on the windward side to Honolulu. The highway bores through some tunnels in the mountains (which makes for an interesting drive too). More formally it's called Nu'uanu Pali lookout. Lots of interesting history about the place. One thing I found interesting was that it's bad luck to carry pork across the Pali Highway, especially at night. I didn't try it myself but the superstition is that Pele, the volcano goddess won't let pork go through the pass. The story involves cars breaking down or worse. The history/superstitions of the islands are really interesting.

Not sure if you are doing a tour of Pearl Harbour, but if not you might want to check out the Punchbowl cemetary, not much to do, but I found it to be a very powerful place.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Orbie

I don't know if I would even combine both in the same day, that's a lot to do, PCC is on the other side of the island from Diamond head pretty much. Diamond head is better to do in the early morning though to beat the heat and crowds. PCC was a full day thing for me, but we did the Luau and the evening Horizons show (which I recommend).
    ]

Diamond head opens at 6:30 am.

I don't think things get going until 11am at PCC. That is why I suggested the order.

PCC is way better than paradise cove. The only good thing about paradise cove is how close you sit to the action. Depending on your tickets for PCC, you could be very, very far away.

When we were in Oahu last May, by far the best thing we did was Hawaii Shark Encounters http://www.hawaiisharkencounters.com/

It was only $100/person when I went. Go in the morning as the ocean is much calmer and its more pleasant in the cage as water isn't splashing into your snorkel.

I think I've posted this info in other Oahu threads but anyways first they put on a bit of a show for you from the boat, then you go into the shark cage. Here are some pictures I got:

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Hanauma Bay for rookie snorkelling.

Go out over the reef/corals into the deeper water. Bring an underwater camera.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

Well most of the islands such as Kuai and Big Island I'd only recommend day trips anyway. It's really odd to say but Lanai and Molokai are two of the nicer islands. Molokai is probably my favorite island amongst them all for the most amazing sites.

Just kinda shocked though, have you been to maui before and that's why you aren't going there?

My Ride
    09 wrx265

had no plan snorkling this year
    probably next time I go to hawaii and might be doing it in Dominican Republic this november.

We were originally planning to just stay in Oahu, but one of the geologist in the office told me how beatiful Kauai is, so I'm pretty curious to check it out.

Never been to Hawaii or Maui, next time I'll go there for sure though.
    my sister is doing the Big Island Tour, just that for me I preffer to spend more than a day on an island and preffer exploring the area at my own pace that way I don't miss anything I want to see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast