Quantcast
auto vs mt revisited - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: auto vs mt revisited

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

u don't want it manual. otherwise, u'd be getting slower times on the 1/4.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2011 BMW X5 5.0

Unfortunately, regardless how smooth or fast or easy the auto is, people get Manual for the sake of shifting WITH a clutch. That's the whole fun of it!

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by Cwave
    Unfortunately, regardless how smooth or fast or easy the auto is, people get Manual for the sake of shifting WITH a clutch. That's the whole fun of it!
    and the bitchiness when ur in rush hour

BOO FRICKITY HOO !!!

rush hour traffic dosent bother me and i drive a standard

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

i get stuck in serious traffic problems for like 3 hours. it's gay

My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy

Originally posted by sexualbanana
    i get stuck in serious traffic problems for like 3 hours. it's gay
    Then buy an Automatic, problem solved.

driving speedshift or autostick or geatronic or shiftronic or tiptronic or sportshift or whatever is worse in heavy traffic for sure. I was driving the volvo in heavy vancouver traffic yesterday and I turned the geartronic off. It's so unresponsive in upshifts and you can't go from 5th to 1st and skip every gear, you have to go through them first. Not skipping gears for downshifting sucks when driving in heavy traffic, plus you don't have the option of just throwing it into neutral whenever you want. Also, the ability to not perfectly control engine braking with a clutch in combination with the brakes makes downshifting a pain in the ass in traffic, so it doesn't smoothly engine brake like you could with a clutch.

Personally, I find shifting it manually a waste of time. The tranny deos a much better job than I ever will on its own for upshifting. Lockup torque converters and adaptive automatic transmission with memory make the fully automatic mode really responsive and quite fun to drive, I'm sure the mercedes tranny is as good or better than the volvo. The only thing i like manual mode for is engine braking into turns, without using the brakes, so it is fun on twisty mountain roads.

Anyway, I don't think I'll ever buy an automatic car, cause with a full manual I feel more in touch with the road, more confident, and I'm a better driver with it.
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

Originally posted by Ranger_X31
    driving speedshift or autostick or geatronic or shiftronic or tiptronic or sportshift or whatever is worse in heavy traffic for sure....and you can't go from 5th to 1st and skip every gear, you have to go through them first.

Speedshift works great for me in heavy traffic, not sure what you are talking about. However, in heavy traffic I just leave it in D and let it shift for me. As I slow down, it downshifts for me, and automatically shifts at redline for me (all without a clutch).

I can shift from 5th to 1st directly if I wanted to as well on my speedshift if I am going slow enough. If I indicate I want to shift from 5th to 1st and I am going too fast, it'll shift into 2nd for a bit, engine brake, and then shift into 1st.

Of course, some people prefer to row their own gears along with the clutch pedal, but to each their own. The feeling of more control over a car with a manual transmission is merely perception IMO, and I firmly believe an automatic car with speedshift offers more real driver control as it allows the driver to focus on driving and not shifting. Again, just my opinion!
    ---

Originally posted by kenny
    Again, just my opinion!
    Well your opinion sucks.

My Ride
    2011 BMW X5 5.0

Kenny, do you have the paddle controls?

Originally posted by kenny

Speedshift works great for me in heavy traffic, not sure what you are talking about. However, in heavy traffic I just leave it in D and let it shift for me. As I slow down, it downshifts for me, and automatically shifts at redline for me (all without a clutch).

I can shift from 5th to 1st directly if I wanted to as well on my speedshift if I am going slow enough. If I indicate I want to shift from 5th to 1st and I am going too fast, it'll shift into 2nd for a bit, engine brake, and then shift into 1st.

Of course, some people prefer to row their own gears along with the clutch pedal, but to each their own. The feeling of more control over a car with a manual transmission is merely perception IMO, and I firmly believe an automatic car with speedshift offers more real driver control as it allows the driver to focus on driving and not shifting. Again, just my opinion!

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Originally posted by buh_buh

Well your opinion sucks.
    Kenny's just trying to justify spending $80k on a car with an automatic
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

Not so much his car is automatic but the fact that he can afford a car at that price and at his age is amazing!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Cwave
    Kenny, do you have the paddle controls?
    The controls are on the shifter. Left for downshift, right for upshift.

As for everyone bashing autos, the Speedshift tranny is probably the most advanced auto tranny out there. Even Porsche uses the same tranny in their 911 twin turbo automatics (yes, Porsche uses Mercedes auto trannys). Torque converter locks up in every gear, shifts are blazing fast, and on hard driving such as on the track, it's always in the right gear. Auto downshifts for cornering, holds gears under corners, etc.

Originally posted by Ranger_X31
    with a full manual I feel more in touch with the road, more confident, and I'm a better driver with it.
    You have much to learn my friend =).
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by max_boost

Not so much his car is automatic but the fact that he can afford a car at that price and at his age is amazing!
    ok, your nose is pretty brown now.

Originally posted by 300rwhp
    you can get them in manual just not in north america im oover in germany and almost of the mercedes i have seen are manual even the big boats (s 500 etc..)
    None of the AMGs come in manual, anywhere in the world. As for the other SLKs (200, 230, 320) they also come in a 6 speed manual and is available in all markets.
    ---

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

Haha when I get my 360, it'll be automatic too!
    ---

Default Old Men

Mercedes does not offer manual transmissions in any of their sports cars because they build cars for people over 50. And people over 50 are to tired to want to change gears.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Old Men

Originally posted by turkeysilk
    Mercedes does not offer manual transmissions in any of their sports cars because they build cars for people over 50. And people over 50 are to tired to want to change gears.
    You're pretty ignorant. So you're saying the entire F1 field are over 50 or too lazy? How about the WRC cars, they offer clutchless shifting too. Are those guys over the hill as well?

There's a reason why clutchless/auto trannies are so popular in motorsports. Take out one factor that can cause driver error (shifting) and you become a better, more consistent driver because you can concentrate more in other areas (braking, cornering, accelerating).
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    a nice pair of and1's

Default Re: Re: Old Men

Originally posted by rage2

You're pretty ignorant. So you're saying the entire F1 field are over 50 or too lazy? How about the WRC cars, they offer clutchless shifting too. Are those guys over the hill as well?

There's a reason why clutchless/auto trannies are so popular in motorsports. Take out one factor that can cause driver error (shifting) and you become a better, more consistent driver because you can concentrate more in other areas (braking, cornering, accelerating).
    i totally agree with rage here, it seems like there's this perception that because your car is an automatic that you're 'not as good' a driver as someone driving manual. albeit that it does take a certain amount of skill to drive standard, and it is a helluva lot more fun to drive than an automatic but u take that out and replace it with speedshift or triptronic and the driver can focus a lot more on actually driving. which will lower overall lap times cause the driver can concentrate on taking better lines through corners. and i mean they've had triptronic gearboxes in F1 cars for ages now, so obviously that's the right way to go to improve laptimes, if not they'd still be using manual gearboxes.

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

Default Re: Old Men

Originally posted by turkeysilk
    Mercedes does not offer manual transmissions in any of their sports cars
    You mean MOST mercedes. The SLK320, SLK230, C230, and C240 can come with manual transmission. So if you're looking for a mercedes with manual transmission, those are your options.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast