Quantcast
Is it smart to have a RHD for a first car - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is it smart to have a RHD for a first car

Originally posted by Kloubek

... so then you deny that it is difficult to pass in a RHD? You can't see what is coming until you are already halfway in the opposing lane. Add that with 300 horsepower and an inexperienced driver from the get-go, and it doesn't exactly seem like an appropriate vehicle to me. But then, that's just using logic and common sense; something that appears to completely evade you in favor of being a dickhead.

And what does the value of my *LHD* 300zx have anything to do with how safe RHD cars are? That one came out of left field, and you, sir, are playing an entirely different ballgame.
    Listen here tit head, I can't see passing in a LHD either..... 2 feet does not make any difference. For the high HP car, why not one that has been inspected in the last 3 months and every few years before that as well ? opposed to a mullet corvette that's been rat bagged to piss and has not been inspected for road use for 10 plus years ? If a kid wants a fast car he will get it in either lhd or rhd. I would feel more comfortable in a car atleast that has had some mechanics attention in the past decade.

Grow a brain before you talk next time, and that will be my last words to you here. Go argue with the 16 year old here, I dont have time for small minded goofs like yourself

Originally posted by Vtecmini
    You always wreck your first car. (everyone I know anyway including myself) I
    Thanks for the insurance boosts, and remind me to not drive around you or your friends. jk

Seriously though, I don't know that many people who wrecked their first, second or third cars (myself included) *knock on wood*. To state that everyone gets in a car accident when learning to drive is a vast overstatement,

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

Originally posted by pf0sh0
    I did. It was fine. Bitches ate that shit up .. in highschool
    I must be old because when I went to highschool girls could care less that you drove like an englishman.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by chris746

and that will be my last words to you here
    Thank God. I'm not sure I could handle such insults like "tit head" for long...

How can you POSSIBLY say that it is just as difficult to pass when driving a LHD vehicle? You think being positioned 4 feet (it's not 2 feet) further to the left doesn't help with seeing oncoming traffic? That's just stupid man. Either you're looking down the driver's side of the vehicle in front of you, or you're looking directly at it's ass end. I'd say that's a significant difference; especially with say, a truck, where you can't see through it's windows.

But then, you're the only person I've ever spoken to who says they can't see when passing in a LHD vehicle either. Personally, I've never had a problem... unless we're talking about being behind a big tractor which is all the way to the left of the lane. If you can't see, then I sure hope you aren't passing people.

As far as a vehicle being serviced - how could you possibly know whether or not a hypothetical Trans Am (not Corvette) would or would not be serviced? Who is to say if a RHD vehicle the OP selects would be in any better mechanical condition? It may come as a shock to you that some of the souped-up JDM's that come over here are very much abused themselves.

You're interjecting all these "facts" which are irrelevant, speculation, or just plain incorrect to try to back up your case.
    Then to top it off, you're acting like a douche and saying things like "grow a brain". It's not the juvenile comments which annoy the fuck out of me, so much as the fact there are actually people in this world as ignorant as yourself who legitimately don't realize it. Then when challenged, they would rather get into attack mode and sling insults than to engage in anything resembling intelligent conversation.

Many people in here have already suggested against the OP buying a RHD vehicle. But don't worry - all of our points are invalid. You are right about everything. You smart. We dumb.

My Ride
    1996 Mitsubishi EVO IV

Originally posted by Hatchback Hero

You must think practical for your first car!
    yes robbie practical, get a job first lol

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Vtecmini
    You always wreck your first car. (everyone I know anyway including myself)
    LOL You have just confirmed what I already suspected. The latest young generations can't drive worth shit. I've never wrecked a car and while I have friends that wrecked cars when we were young it certainly wasn't the norm.

My Ride
    Audi 5000 QT

i had a 1986 cutlass with a 455 rocket and just under 400HP for a first car..

www.boostedalberta.com
    =[[Beyonds Dirtiest Daily Driver]]=
    Originally posted by dj_rice
    OOP or whatever that Out of Province Inspection is called

My Ride

Originally posted by heavyD

LOL You have just confirmed what I already suspected. The latest young generations can't drive worth shit. I've never wrecked a car and while I have friends that wrecked cars when we were young it certainly wasn't the norm.
    Exactly. I havent even been in a accident and I been driving for 15 years. Iguess things have changed....

My Ride
    has three pedals.

It's not smart to have one at all.

My Ride
    A twin turbo boat & a twin turbo station wagon

I started with a soarer as a first car, just don't drive like an asshole and you will be fine

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

IMO

Doesn't matter what car you drive, as long as you treat it with respect and never drive outside the limits of the car OR YOURSELF!

The problem with having such a car as your first ride is that you have a lot of odds to beat. For instance your age, horsepower, insurance rates, and control of your own actions are going to be playing against you. The likelihood of getting into trouble or an accident is FAR greater than if you owned something like a Toyota Camry. Also you should be taking into consideration the cost/time of maintenance, parts availability, and reliability. Gas mileage will not be on your side either.

The trans-am is not much better to be honest. It would be a great project car to work on with your old man, and take to shows/track. But as a daily driver, it will be very impractical. Gas mileage, maintenance, and availability of parts might start becoming more of an issue the older it gets.

Finally you want to take into account the fact there is winter here 8 months of the year. You need a vehicle that will be easy to "winterize" (tires, heaters, easy starting, etc.). Plus drivability of your car in winter is important. Both cars IMO are not going to fit the bill.

For a first car, I would suggest cars like Gran Prix, Taurus, Crown Vic, Honda Civic, Toyota Camry, etc. I think you get the idea. Basically the best car for any new driver (again, IMO) is one that does not appeal to younger generations! lol
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    Audi 5000 QT

Originally posted by Tomaz

Finally you want to take into account the fact there is winter here 8 months of the year. You need a vehicle that will be easy to "winterize" (tires, heaters, easy starting, etc.). Plus drivability of your car in winter is important. Both cars IMO are not going to fit the bill.

this..

Also a RWD is not a good car for a new driver in winter..with my cutlass i used it one day in winter.. that was it. next day i went out and found a beater fwd car.. but in summer time it dont matter what kinda of car you get as long as you can respect the car and not be a douche and show off to your friends..also again for a first car if your a new driver. id get a little honda civic.. they cheap on gas, easy to find parts.. not to bad looking units either so you will get a decent first car and who knows maybe the civic could become something one day if you slowly invest money into it..

www.boostedalberta.com
    =[[Beyonds Dirtiest Daily Driver]]=
    Originally posted by dj_rice
    OOP or whatever that Out of Province Inspection is called

My Ride
    05 Forester X

Originally posted by nykz

Sure it wasn't because you couldn't afford a nice Nissan? I mean buying replicas of rotas....

JK
    Haha naww my parents would have spotted me the cash if i needed it, but i liked the civic when i saw it,
    still love it =D

but i want MOAR POWAH!
    But not really, power gets you into trouble.

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

Really now, passing w/ rhd is easy. If your vehicle has power, because you can just hang back, wait for a opening, floor it (build boost) and fly by, and then slow down. And for everyone who says dont speed. I would rather spend less time on the other side of the road.

But on a first topic. My first own car was a civic, followed by a silvia.
    If you drive carefully Rhd or LHD will treat you will.

It will be a smart decision if you really love to have it.It will somehow depends on the price compared to other cars and what you really need for a car.

Originally posted by snoop101

Exactly. I havent even been in a accident and I been driving for 15 years. Iguess things have changed....
    Me neither; 10yrs and 0 accidents/tickets/wrecks.

It's okay though - due to the fact we arn't complete tards we get to enjoy lower insurance rates. I laugh at these people who think it's normal to crash 2 or 3cars and are paying $5000/yr to insure a 10yr old civic, whereas I can insurance several 700hp+, $100+K cars for 500-700/yr

i've been lookin at some r33 gtr's also

how much do you guys think its gonna be around when it comes out next year?

My Ride

Are these RHD cars a big fad like skateboarding used to be. I remember in school when people couldent skateboard, but had one because it was the Cool thing to do. Some of the pro's did it and it looked cool. Kinda like these cars where it looks cool, so you got to have it kinda thing even though in 10-20 years you'll look back and go.. "wow I was a tool back then, what the hell was I thinking"

Originally posted by Kloubek
    You think being positioned 4 feet (it's not 2 feet) further to the left doesn't help with seeing oncoming traffic?

Out of curiosity, I measured the centre-to-centre distance between the top of the headrests or the top of the seatback of the front seats of these cars:
    - 25.0" Porsche 911
    - 26.0" Honda Fit
    - 26.5" VW Golf

Surprisingly, chris746's 2 ft figure is pretty close. You'd have to be driving a semi to have 4 ft centre-to-centre separation between the seats.

That said, I feel that the 2 ft makes a world of difference when it comes to passing. I'll take LHD any day of the week.
    Last edited by FiveFreshFish; 07-29-2009 at 03:46 PM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

^^Ok. I will admit defeat on that one. I guess driving my Sequoia makes me assume EVERY seating position is far apart. (For the record, I just measured it and it is still only 34.5" centre to centre. So even if we were talking about "JDM Sequoias", I'd still be wrong. lol)

It is still retarded to say that passing with a RHD is no more difficult than a LHD. It's even more retarded to try disputing the fact, and retarded even further to be a bitch about it.

/rant

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast