Quantcast
Sold car, now buyer wants money back? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sold car, now buyer wants money back?

My Ride
    96 Eclipse

Default Sold car, now buyer wants money back?

So a friend of mine sold his civic about a month ago and the buyer called him today talking about the engine stopped working and he wants him to pay for half of a new engine or give him the money back and take the car since he thinks the car was messed up when he bought it. However the car was in perfect running condition when it was sold. The buyer said something about the oil all leaked out and of course since he drove it after that, the engine got completely fucked and the block cracked. Now he is talking about getting cops involved if he doesnt get money.
    Anyone know if my friend is legally responsible in any way or is it just buyer beware and the buyers problem now?

thanks

My Ride
    Accord 6-6, Tacoma

new cars have warranty, used cars generally over 3 years old, don't!
    Honda/Acura guy

All sales final, as-is, buyer beware, take your pick.

Tell him to gtfo

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Not his fault. Your friend is 100% fine. Unless he can prove without a doubt that the problem was there before he bought the car and that he didn't cause the problem and that your friend purposely did not tell him about the problem, he has nothing to go on. He didn't buy it from a dealership, he bought it privately, theres no warranty on that.

My Ride
    EM1

Yeah if it was marked sold as is on the bill of sale then fuck the new buyer, nothing for your friend to worry about.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by xLostx
    Yeah if it was marked sold as is on the bill of sale then fuck the new buyer, nothing for your friend to worry about.
    this only holds true is it was a private sale, if sold by a dealer then the buyer would have a few rights

My Ride
    96 Eclipse

^dont think it was marked as "sold as is" does that really make a difference tho?

My Ride
    /85' Corolla GTS AE86 - 20V /06' X-Runner

Does it say "Car sold as is" on the bill of sale?

Ray

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Private sale, sold as is. If hes dumb enough to drive a car with no oil he shouldnt be owning a car.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by 95golf
    ^dont think it was marked as "sold as is" does that really make a difference tho?
    No it doesn't. That only disclaims any implied warranties. I doubt there were any implied warranties with the sale. In private auto sales the term isn't really useful at all from my understanding.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Tell the guy that he should be spending time locating an engine, instead of wasting the police's time with this bullshit.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by CUG
    Tell the guy that he should be spending time locating an engine, instead of wasting the police's time with this bullshit.
    The cops wont waste time on it, just the 5 minutes to laugh him off the phone.

My Ride
    O.P.P.

Originally posted by FraserB

The cops wont waste time on it, just the 5 minutes to laugh him off the phone.
    Your buddy's fine..... Even if someone sell's a car privately with a lien on it, they still won't get involved. The new owner is S.O.L. and has to sue the seller in a small claims civil suit, of course AFTER the Sheriff seizes the vehicle from the new owner (An ex-co-worker went thru this himself)

Like mentioned, your friend is fine. Buyer beware... should have had an inspection done!
    Tell him not to worry.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Make sure you tell us how the conversation goes between your friend and this guy...
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

man i hope the buyer comes on beyond to complain hahah

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Cops? This is a civil matter, cops won't even take the call.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

I find this so funny, my brother had the same problem.

The guy called him and said the engine light came on.

We wrote on the bill of sale - "SOLD AS IS, NO WARRANTY IMPLIED WHAT-SO-EVER"

My bro called me in a bit of a worry, "can he do anything?"

Nope. SOL.

Default Re: Sold car, now buyer wants money back?

Tell your friend to stop communicating with the buyer. Tell the buyer its unfortunate what happened but that you cant and wont do anything for him. If the buyer keeps calling or contacting you then file a police report for harrassment. The buyers has no recourse but can try to take you to small claims court. It wont get very far and the buyer will be wasting his time and money.

I hate used car buyers. Thats why I always encourage a potential buyer to take my car to a mechanic and get it fully inspected. The worst is people who buy a 15 year old car with 200k km. Hey it could run for another 10 years and 200k more OR it could blow up tomorow.

Especially after a month... who knows what the guy did... changed the oil, didnt put the drain bolt back in properly or tighten the oil filter then blew the motor. Racing and drifting, redlining the car around town?

It sucks and OP, you might feel bad about what happened to the buyer but dont offer anything and cut off contact.

Originally posted by 95golf
    So a friend of mine sold his civic about a month ago and the buyer called him today talking about the engine stopped working and he wants him to pay for half of a new engine or give him the money back and take the car since he thinks the car was messed up when he bought it. However the car was in perfect running condition when it was sold. The buyer said something about the oil all leaked out and of course since he drove it after that, the engine got completely fucked and the block cracked. Now he is talking about getting cops involved if he doesnt get money.
    Anyone know if my friend is legally responsible in any way or is it just buyer beware and the buyers problem now?

thanks

My Ride
    Is fun!

In Alberta - if you sell a vehicle "As is"; the buyer has no re-course - UNLESS he asked specific questions and was lied to.

The law states that you are bound to answer any questions about the vehicles condition honestly. The flaw with this, of course - is the burden of proof. How does one prove it was a lie, or that the seller did indeed, know about it?

I think your friend is pretty safe, if the buyer had any concerns he should have arranged an inspection. As everyone else has said, "Caveat Emptor".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast