Quantcast
Collections and Gold's Gym - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Collections and Gold's Gym

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Default Collections and Gold's Gym

Okay, I know I'm not the first one and I definitely won't be the last but just want to know where I stand here. I'm pretty sure I have to pay and most likely will, but wow do I ever hate Gold's gym!!

In any case, the story goes that when I arrived back into Canada last June, I ended up joining Gold's Gym for a year's membership. I then signed the contract and gave my info; however, I did not yet give them my banking info for direct payment. I told them that I had to get signed up at a bank because I've been away for so long that my old account was terminated.

I then had an altercation with one of the ladies behind the counter and I thought it was one of the most unprofessional convos I've ever had so I told them that I wanted to quit the membership. I essentially used their facilities for around 3 months and just last week I get a letter in the mail saying I owe them 531 for the membership. This was directly from a collections agency in Ontario.

I'm essentially wondering, besides all the threats of this affecting my credit rating blah blah blah, can they collect solely on my name and address or do they need my banking info? Also, if I don't pay and let's say I want to get a loan for a house or what not, how detrimental is this to one's credit rating and how easily can it be reconciled? I've heard numerous stories saying that once it's paid off, one would be sweet as, but I've also heard that it will haunt you for years. I'd like some clarification from those with experience or knowledge.

Ultimately I will most likely pay it off. It sucks though because I only used it for 3 months out of the year I'm paying but I guess that's the way it goes.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

I got sent to collections once by Rogers for failing to pay a phone bill.

Even tho I paid it shortly after and only received ONE letter from collections, (this was over 3 years ago) Its still affecting my credit to this day, Banks wont increase my credit card limits. I havent applied for a loans or anything yet, but I think I know the answer to that already.
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

which golds?
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

Originally posted by LadyLuck

Even tho I paid it shortly after and only received ONE letter from collections, (this was over 3 years ago) Its still affecting my credit to this day, Banks wont increase my credit card limits. I havent applied for a loans or anything yet, but I think I know the answer to that already.
    From one freaking letter?
    That's ridiculous.
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

Crap I had one like this from Telus home phone I had 5 years ago in BC.

I only knew about it because the Canadian forces ran a check on me. I paid it right away, hopefully it doesent effect me.

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

Originally posted by arian_ma

From one freaking letter?
    That's ridiculous.
    Yep, thats what I thought too, but apparently its the fact that you were sent to collections. It automatically opens a file for you, so when someone runs a check on you it shows that you were sent to collections and why!

Originally posted by snoop101

Crap I had one like this from Telus home phone I had 5 years ago in BC.

I only knew about it because the Canadian forces ran a check on me. I paid it right away, hopefully it doesent effect me.
    Yea call your banks and double check with them. Also, if you have a reference or file number from the collection agency call them too and see if it was cleared.

I didnt know that this file was still active until 3 months ago before my europe trip..(I paid the effin bill over 3 years ago!!!!) I went to RBC to get a credit increase and they told me I couldnt get one because the file was still active. Rogers never called the collection agency to tell them that I paid the bill in full!!
    Last edited by LadyLuck; 07-27-2009 at 02:56 PM.
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

Yep, thats what I thought too, but apparently its the fact that you were sent to collections. It automatically opens a file for you, so when someone runs a check on you it shows that you were sent to collections and why!
    There has to be more to it that this. I had a speeding ticket in BC that went to collections, hell I still get letters every once in a while to pay it. Never had an issue with renewing registration, cc applications, mortgage, HELOC, etc.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    an econo box

Originally posted by lint

There has to be more to it that this. I had a speeding ticket in BC that went to collections, hell I still get letters every once in a while to pay it. Never had an issue with renewing registration, cc applications, mortgage, HELOC, etc.
    Speeding tickets, parking tickets etc. do not affect your credit rating. I had an Enmax bill go to collections because Enmax made a mistake when I moved. Instead of just switching my account to the new address they opened a new account at my new address and left my old account open on the old address.

It did not go on my credit file.

Iv been goin to Golds for 3 years and always payed monthly automatically comes out of my account. I sometimes get a letter saying i owe, the letters came from Ontario as well and im pretty sure they say ASF at the top. When i went to Golds to see what was up with them they said i can just throw those out.

Originally posted by KrisYYC
    Speeding tickets, parking tickets etc. do not affect your credit rating. I had an Enmax bill go to collections because Enmax made a mistake when I moved. Instead of just switching my account to the new address they opened a new account at my new address and left my old account open on the old address.

It did not go on my credit file.
    So by your example, an Enmax bill going to collections doesn't affect your credit file either.
    heloc that shit

Originally posted by pyro
    When i went to Golds to see what was up with them they said i can just throw those out.
    You should maybe talk to someone at Golds that actually knows what they're talking about, because it sounds like you might get bent over for something you're not liable for.

What about impark parking tickets? Anyone know if its same deal with collection agencies and those?

Originally posted by buh_buh
    You should maybe talk to someone at Golds that actually knows what they're talking about, because it sounds like you might get bent over for something you're not liable for.
    I talked to the manager at my location, i was kinda skeptical about it as well, but i kept all my bank transactions that show i have payed my dues every month, just in case. Hopefully it hasnt just been adding up over the years though.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

OP, could you tell us about the conversation you had?

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I had collections call me about my Alberta Health Care about 10 years ago. Paid it after one phone call, and it never affected my credit.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Default Re: Collections and Gold's Gym

If you are going to pay anyway, call the collections agency and talk to them. Tell them that you have zero money but would like to work with them. Tell them that you did not receive anything after the first three months, and will send them say $200 to settle but not a penny more.

The way that collections agencies work is that they usually buy your debt for a small fraction of the "collectable" amount, so they may be happy to settle much lower and everyone wins.

Originally posted by LUDELVR
    Okay, I know I'm not the first one and I definitely won't be the last but just want to know where I stand here. I'm pretty sure I have to pay and most likely will, but wow do I ever hate Gold's gym!!

In any case, the story goes that when I arrived back into Canada last June, I ended up joining Gold's Gym for a year's membership. I then signed the contract and gave my info; however, I did not yet give them my banking info for direct payment. I told them that I had to get signed up at a bank because I've been away for so long that my old account was terminated.

I then had an altercation with one of the ladies behind the counter and I thought it was one of the most unprofessional convos I've ever had so I told them that I wanted to quit the membership. I essentially used their facilities for around 3 months and just last week I get a letter in the mail saying I owe them 531 for the membership. This was directly from a collections agency in Ontario.

I'm essentially wondering, besides all the threats of this affecting my credit rating blah blah blah, can they collect solely on my name and address or do they need my banking info? Also, if I don't pay and let's say I want to get a loan for a house or what not, how detrimental is this to one's credit rating and how easily can it be reconciled? I've heard numerous stories saying that once it's paid off, one would be sweet as, but I've also heard that it will haunt you for years. I'd like some clarification from those with experience or knowledge.

Ultimately I will most likely pay it off. It sucks though because I only used it for 3 months out of the year I'm paying but I guess that's the way it goes.

My Ride
    08 X5

Dont think they can ding your credit without your DOB/SIN/CC info, could be mistaken tho.

My Ride
    fx50

Default Re: Collections and Gold's Gym

Originally posted by LUDELVR

Don't worry buddy i'm in the same situation as you are.
    i sign up for 2 year and been there twice and i stop going. Couple months after they send me a letter owing $$$. i avoid it then they send a couple more letter saying if i don't settle the payment this will go to credit bureau. i also getting call from credit agency all the time until today i told them to fuck off couple of times they stop calling. i had my credit check lastweek and it was fine. i think as long you don't gave out your banking info they can't screw your credit up.

I'm thankful I never signed a term contract with them. The guy trying to sell me kept pushing and said that "month-to-month" membership doesn't exist. I came back the next day and talked to a different guy. He gave me the best deal in town... I pay $33 a month, didn't give them my CC or Bank info, initial payment of $200 for the first 6 mo's. same guy wrote me an invoice for $400 so I could claim the max fitness expense from a previous employer.

Couple months after I signed up... I went to scan my card and it said "please see staff member" apparently they wanted to investigate my account since I haven't paid since the initial $200... they froze my account for 3 months and still allowed me to workout for free. Never ended up having to pay those 'frozen' months...

I get those ASF collection invoices every month as well...and I called them once...apparently it directed me to some office in Denver or somewhere else in the states...they told me to pay ASF, but the people at the gym told me to pay them and not ASF.

I'd recommend you calrify where your money is going before you pay the collection agency or Gold's...

My Ride
    an econo box

Originally posted by lint

So by your example, an Enmax bill going to collections doesn't affect your credit file either.
    Correct. Seems like quasi essential things or government things (speeding tickets) don't show up on credit reports.

Though I've heard not paying Alberta Health in the past could damage your credit.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

well, I broke down and paid for it. Was 531. Feel pretty stink seeing that I only used 3 months of the year! In any situation, I've heard that even if they only have your name and addy, it's enough to take you to small claims court if my siggy is on the dotted line so I guess I'll just take that as another pounding in the ass!!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast