Quantcast
Negotiating a lower price on a used car at a new car dealership. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Negotiating a lower price on a used car at a new car dealership.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Default Negotiating a lower price on a used car at a new car dealership.

Never really been through this process but how much can one expect to get off the listed price of a used car at a dealership?

If it's listed at $15k + tax, what can i expect to pay for it? Price is pretty accurate to other vehicles currently listed on autotrader.

Also what sort or purchase finance options and percentages do dealerships usually offer on used vehicles?

My Ride
    '16 Sportwagen

Any experience I have had with used cars from new car dealers is that they don't move a whole lot on the price. That $15K might turn into $14K if that. What they do instead is offer accessories and stuff for free to make it seem like a better deal. That's just my personal experience.

My Ride
    300 Limited

I'd imagine it also depends on the car/brand.
    It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

My Ride
    Ram

Working at a new car dealership's used car department. It all depends what they are into the vehicle for

what car ?

I used to work as a new and used car salesman, so if you would like some extra insight feel free to PM me the information on the car your interested in and i will try and help you out.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by Sorath
    It all depends what they are into the vehicle for
    Exactly! They may be able to move more or less on the vehicle depending on how much they paid for it and what their maintenance/detailing costs where on the car. So it's tough to say

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

I've almost always been able to get $1500 off of their sticker price, and no other fees besides GST. You can usually get an "all-in" price, which includes all taxes and GST. All-in prices you can usually plan on getting at least $1000 off of sticker price.

Just throw them offers, the worst they could say is "no".
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Dealership dropped the price by $1000 which has kept me semi interested in going to check it out.... they've had it up on autotrader for a good month at least, who knows how much longer. I'm in no rush so I figured I'd keep putting it off.

Then a couple days ago it disappears and yesterday reappears under a different Honda dealership. LOL

Original price at Honda dealership 1 = $14,950
    Reduced price at Honda dealership 1 = $13,950
    New Price at Honda dealership 2 = $19,900

Crazy. It's defenitely the exact same vehicle. Same color (it's a limited edition color) same # of clicks. LOL

Not sure if it's even worth my time to go negotiate from the low $14k price.

in negotiating used cars i've always used black book then given lee way for cleaning/maintenance in giving my offers.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Originally posted by 88CRX
    Dealership dropped the price by $1000 which has kept me semi interested in going to check it out.... they've had it up on autotrader for a good month at least, who knows how much longer. I'm in no rush so I figured I'd keep putting it off.

Then a couple days ago it disappears and yesterday reappears under a different Honda dealership. LOL

Original price at Honda dealership 1 = $14,950
    Reduced price at Honda dealership 1 = $13,950
    New Price at Honda dealership 2 = $19,900

Crazy. It's defenitely the exact same vehicle. Same color (it's a limited edition color) same # of clicks. LOL

Not sure if it's even worth my time to go negotiate from the low $14k price.
    Stealerships often sell to each other. Stealership #1 must have gotten tired of having it sit on the lot and sold to another place. Stealership #2 saw a car with potential and is trying to get the most it can.

That's a huge increase though.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

Originally posted by bigboom
    in negotiating used cars i've always used black book then given lee way for cleaning/maintenance in giving my offers.
    Just curious...did you give lee way for the dealer to make a profit above blackbook + cleaning/maintenance?

Just curious

My Ride
    Canyonero

i managed to talk way more than 10% off a truck i bought in april. Just about $4000 off. This was a used, IMPORT truck.

Like Sorath said, it all depends on what they've got into the vehicle. Presumably dealer #2 paid less than the 13.9k dealer 1 was asking.

I'd be gunning for 13-15 all in by the sounds of it, but I have no idea what car it is or what it'd even be worth.

Originally posted by pathwaydon

Just curious...did you give lee way for the dealer to make a profit above blackbook + cleaning/maintenance?

Just curious
    no, because most dealers buy their used cars below black book. the difference from black book to what they buy the car at is their profit.

I talked a grand and a bit off a truck a while ago. Was my first time buying in that way though, so I dunno if I could have gotten it for less or not. Oh well, I felt it was a fair deal, so.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

no, because most dealers buy their used cars below black book. the difference from black book to what they buy the car at is their profit.
    Blackbook is an average of auction sale prices. The numbers in these books are generated by dealers purchasing these cars at auctions for these prices.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

from my exprience they usualy won't budge much probbaly 1 - 1.5 g max and it also depends on the sale person each one will give u a different price.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Blackbook is an average of auction sale prices. The numbers in these books are generated by dealers purchasing these cars at auctions for these prices.
    Right, but any time i go to trade in a car i rarely get black book, the only time i get black book is if i was to trade in the same manufacturer car, ie. subaru to a subaru dealership. Otherwise I can't ever get black book, so i figure most of those cars on the lot are trade in's or auction cars that were purchased under black book value.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Right, but any time i go to trade in a car i rarely get black book, the only time i get black book is if i was to trade in the same manufacturer car, ie. subaru to a subaru dealership. Otherwise I can't ever get black book, so i figure most of those cars on the lot are trade in's or auction cars that were purchased under black book value.
    Trades are subjective, sometimes the dealer will overallow to make the customer happy and get a deal. Other times the trade is a tough car to sell and they arent really interested in it they will lowball. I'm not sure how many dealers used car inventory consists of trades. Our used car inventory are mainly lease backs and toyota auction buys, people rarely want to trade in their old Lexus, they'd rather sell them privately it seems.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

So......

went and checked the vehicle out last night. Blah blah blah, everything looks good. I explain that I've have my eye on it for quite some time and that I'm aware it was listed for $15k then $14k at another dealership. They immediately defend it saying they're in the vehicle for more than that.

Anyways, I offered them the $14k and they come back claiming they're $164xx in the car and they need to make a profit on it blah blah blah. Not that I beleive a word they say but is there any possible way they're in the car for more than what the previous dealership was selling it for. They're claiming they traded some old stock for it or whatever.

That was the end of it, I left dissapointed and car-less.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast