Quantcast
new windows? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: new windows?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    820
    Rep Power
    14

    Default new windows?

    so i need to replace the bay windows in my place. the current ones are old and don't open, which really sucks ass.

    anyone here do windows or works for a window company that could give me a quote? maybe a suggestion for a good company to get this done?

    i'd need them to install them as well. i'm pretty handy but i'm not sure this is something i'd want to tackle and possibly screw up myself...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    1998 Honda Civic DX HB
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    All window places provide free quotes. I just signed off on a work order to replace 8 windows in my house. The quotes I received were within $500 of each other, give or take. I went with Western Windows (highly recommended by previous customers). They were very professional, the sales guy came out to my home and measured all my windows. Discussed the types of windows to install and he emailed me the quote a couple days later. When I decided to go with Western Windows, the sales guy came back out with 3 other guys (shop foreman, window installer, window builder) to do the final measurements. He had one guy just measure my bay window ($2,500 w/triple E glass) because it has to be custom made. But then they custom make all there windows. I'm just waiting for the windows to be installed (should be within the next 2 weeks). I'll let you know how it goes.

    http://www.westernwindows.com/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    820
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    cool man. hopefully things go well for you and they do a good job.

    how long was the process from the time you called them to the time they booked for install?
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    1998 Honda Civic DX HB
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by SOAB
    cool man. hopefully things go well for you and they do a good job.

    how long was the process from the time you called them to the time they booked for install?
    For the quote, it took a couple days. I waited 3 weeks before I decided to go with them because I was gathering quotes. But it took them another 2 days to come back and do the final measurements. It's about a month and a half wait for the windows to get installed. He said that they've been so busy since the gov announced the Home Reno Tax credit which is why the long wait for installs.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, The Milky Way . . .
    Posts
    1,831
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    good to know, thanks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT
    Posts
    1,726
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    MCM Home Exteriors

    Those guys have always come back to me highly reccomended.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Food Court Wifi
    My Ride
    2010 Recession Fighter LX
    Posts
    4,207
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    +1 for Western Windows. Had them do six windows and two doors on my place. They were about middle of the pack on price, and I was very pleased with the service.
    It took about six months between the estimate and the install, but I think that was due to the lead time on the doors.

    I would not hesitate to use them again.

    FWIW, My mom used Lux and was happy with them. And my in-laws used Greg Martineau and weren't happy with the service.
    Middle-aged hipster millennial snowflake

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT
    Posts
    1,726
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    +1 for Western Windows. Had them do six windows and two doors on my place. They were about middle of the pack on price, and I was very pleased with the service.
    It took about six months between the estimate and the install, but I think that was due to the lead time on the doors.

    I would not hesitate to use them again.

    FWIW, My mom used Lux and was happy with them. And my in-laws used Greg Martineau and weren't happy with the service.
    Lux is a good company. I have a friend working as an installer for them.

    I am surprised about the Greg Martineau experiance. They have a very good reputation in the market!
    Beyond's Most Wanted

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Food Court Wifi
    My Ride
    2010 Recession Fighter LX
    Posts
    4,207
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally posted by Tomaz
    I am surprised about the Greg Martineau experiance. They have a very good reputation in the market!
    The in-laws were surprised too. They chose them because of the good reputation and I think they paid a little more than average for it.
    I never got the full story from them, so I don't know the details.
    Middle-aged hipster millennial snowflake

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    498
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Well from my experience with Greg Martineau is that they had some crappy install sub-contractors for a while, and a phone call the the main office we talked to Greg directly, and he came out with a diff crew, and took care of everything.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT
    Posts
    1,726
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally posted by Alterac
    Well from my experience with Greg Martineau is that they had some crappy install sub-contractors for a while, and a phone call the the main office we talked to Greg directly, and he came out with a diff crew, and took care of everything.
    Greg is a kick-ass guy. He doesn't take any shit from anyone. always makes things right when it get to his table.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    1998 Honda Civic DX HB
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by william_olynyk
    All window places provide free quotes. I just signed off on a work order to replace 8 windows in my house. The quotes I received were within $500 of each other, give or take. I went with Western Windows (highly recommended by previous customers). They were very professional, the sales guy came out to my home and measured all my windows. Discussed the types of windows to install and he emailed me the quote a couple days later. When I decided to go with Western Windows, the sales guy came back out with 3 other guys (shop foreman, window installer, window builder) to do the final measurements. He had one guy just measure my bay window ($2,500 w/triple E glass) because it has to be custom made. But then they custom make all there windows. I'm just waiting for the windows to be installed (should be within the next 2 weeks). I'll let you know how it goes.

    http://www.westernwindows.com/
    Update: My windows are being installed as I'm typing. They are doing an excellent job. They finished 3 windows, plus a bay window (which was a bitch for them) in about 2.5hrs. Very nice installers, they clean up as they go, install is very neat and clean. They are now working on the 4 windows in the back of the house and are almost done. Really impressed with there work.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Latest Threads: 08-28-2009, 01:30 AM
  2. Windows Vista versus Windows Xp (Top 10's)

    By Dayclone in forum Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics
    Replies: 16
    Latest Threads: 01-31-2007, 11:22 AM
  3. A Look at Longhorn (NEW WINDOWS!)

    By /////AMG in forum Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics
    Replies: 9
    Latest Threads: 05-02-2005, 08:26 AM
  4. FS: Windows 2K pro, Windows XP pro

    By FuzzyWuzzy in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 01-26-2004, 01:43 AM
  5. F/S Brand New 10gig Ipod Windows

    By ScCab in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 20
    Latest Threads: 04-16-2003, 09:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •