Quantcast
B.C. launches major stimulus program for oil and gas - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: B.C. launches major stimulus program for oil and gas

Default B.C. launches major stimulus program for oil and gas

CALGARY - The British Columbia government this morning announced a major stimulus program to kick-start its oil and gas industry, including a package of royalty incentives and legislative changes.

In a statement, the government said the program is designed to produce "immediate economic benefits" for the province.

“B.C. is one of the most competitive oil and gas jurisdictions in North America, and this stimulus package will further strengthen the sector while increasing provincial revenues,” said provincial energy minister Blair Lekstrom. “In this day and age capital investment is very fluid and we want to encourage the oil and gas sector to invest in British Columbia.”

The package includes four royalty and two regulatory initiatives including:

*A one-year, two per cent royalty rate for all wells drilled in a 10-month window from September 2009 to June 2010.

*An increase of 15 per cent in existing royalty deductions deep gas drilling.

* Qualification of horizontal wells drilled between 1,900 and 2,300 metres into the deep royalty credit program.

* An additional $50 million allocation for the Infrastructure Royalty Credit Program to be offered this fall to stimulate investment in oil and gas roads and pipelines.

Regulatory initiatives amendments to the drilling licence regulation to create flexibility that will allow industry to move wells to production while not losing privileges to convert drilling licences to leases.
    Source: http://www.calgaryherald.com/launche...254/story.html

All I can say is.... shit. And thanks a lot ED!
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Crap, now we'll all have to move to Ft. St. John.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Alberta got pwned

Something seems wrong here.

Lots of Stelmach haters that claim that he is driving all the O&G investment out of the province but if that were the case, why would the BC Govt need to launch a major program like this to encourage investment?
    ---

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by kenny
    why would the BC Govt need to launch a major program like this to encourage investment?
    Pipeline bomber.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    99 Civic SI

Lots of Stelmach haters that claim that he is driving all the O&G investment out of the province but if that were the case, why would the BC Govt need to launch a major program like this to encourage investment?
    because he is competing with more than just alberta. its the perfect time to steal investment from alberta because we aren't doing enough to keep it here. Saskatchewan is doing well so they're competition for BC too.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Kick a man while he's down?

In BC, there is little to no infrastructure that is required to make the potential development feasible. By making royalty rates effectively nil, the gov't is hoping to encourage companies to sink the considerable amounts of cash necessary to build this infrastructure. Once companies decided to spend this cash, they are effectively committing themselves to years of development in BC in order to "pay off" the initial infrastructure costs.

The BC government is basically sacrificing a year's worth of royalties in exchange for billions in long-term development in the province.

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by atgilchrist

In BC, there is little to no infrastructure that is required to make the potential development feasible. By making royalty rates effectively nil, the gov't is hoping to encourage companies to sink the considerable amounts of cash necessary to build this infrastructure. Once companies decided to spend this cash, they are effectively committing themselves to years of development in BC in order to "pay off" the initial infrastructure costs.

The BC government is basically sacrificing a year's worth of royalties in exchange for billions in long-term development in the province.
    Look at Horn River. Huge resource, but needs tons of infrastructure at the moment.

Ahh makes sense. Now I wonder if any big players will bite.
    ---

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Ahh makes sense. Now I wonder if any big players will bite.
    We'll see I suppose. Maybe i'll have to move to B.C if that happens.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

Originally posted by Seanith

We'll see I suppose. Maybe i'll have to move to B.C if that happens.
    Just moved to Van, wonder if there's any good juniors to get on with

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

I could live in Vancouver. My understanding is there aren't a lot of engineering jobs out there... I haven't really looked into it either
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”

personally, i think BC isn't wanting oil and gas companies to move there, they want their capital spending to be spent in their province.

Only shitty thing right now is that gas prices are so low... if gas prices were really high, this would be a great time to drill for gas in BC as everyone is planning for spring break up (ie. winter) to move all the rigs in. but since gas is low, there is no reason to spend capital to drill for gas even if royalties are low.

and BC isn't really sacrificing a year of royalties, they're sacrificing alot of money actually. When you drill gas wells, the largest portion of the gas comes out within the first year, so this is actually a really good incentive... now if nat gas prices were to go up... BC would light up with activity...

I have my doubts that there is any significant oil to be found in B.C.

Right in first year geology you get to learn about tectonic plate movement and subduction zones.

East of the Rocky mountains actually created a favorable plateau upon which oil/gas gets caught in "strateographic" traps. West of the Rocky mountains, the tectonic plate heave makes it much more likely to have deep earth precious metals pushed to the surface.

So In otherwords, left side of rockies = good for metals, bad for oil, right side of rockies = good for oil, bad for metals.

Its true of nearly all mountainous regions relative to plate movement.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 08-07-2009 at 04:12 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-13-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Not much oil, tons and tons of gas.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Originally posted by in*10*se
    personally, i think BC isn't wanting oil and gas companies to move there, they want their capital spending to be spent in their province.

Only shitty thing right now is that gas prices are so low... if gas prices were really high, this would be a great time to drill for gas in BC as everyone is planning for spring break up (ie. winter) to move all the rigs in. but since gas is low, there is no reason to spend capital to drill for gas even if royalties are low.

and BC isn't really sacrificing a year of royalties, they're sacrificing alot of money actually. When you drill gas wells, the largest portion of the gas comes out within the first year, so this is actually a really good incentive... now if nat gas prices were to go up... BC would light up with activity...
    Having gas prices low is good for getting oil out of the ground though. Especially with SAGD. They use gas to heat water into steam.

My Ride
    06 Civic DX-g

Not much oil, tons and tons of gas.
    Yeah what he said. I have worked on some huge shale gas projects in Northern B.C.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by ZenOps
    I have my doubts that there is any significant oil to be found in B.C.

Right in first year geology you get to learn about tectonic plate movement and subduction zones.

East of the Rocky mountains actually created a favorable plateau upon which oil/gas gets caught in "strateographic" traps. West of the Rocky mountains, the tectonic plate heave makes it much more likely to have deep earth precious metals pushed to the surface.

So In otherwords, left side of rockies = good for metals, bad for oil, right side of rockies = good for oil, bad for metals.
    There is a huge part of BC that is "left" of the mountains.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast