Quantcast
Help! Controlling outdoor speakers and in-ceiling speakers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Help! Controlling outdoor speakers and in-ceiling speakers

My Ride
    2012 Audi Q5

Default Help! Controlling outdoor speakers and in-ceiling speakers

I live in a new house which I got the electrical roughed in (speaker wires at ceiling location) for ceiling speakers around the house as well as a pair for my patio. I also have the wires roughed in for 3 control panels on the walls.

All speakers wires are sent to the basement where I will hook them all up to a receiver. Then, I have that jumped upstairs to a computer in my kitchen to control the audio output (cds, internet radio, ipod, etc.)

My question is: What kind of receiver do I need in the basement to power/control all of these speakers??? The patio has 2 speakers and the rest of the house has 5, so 7 in total.

I have no idea what I am doing other than I got everything roughed in. I bought a set out outdoor JBLs and I got 5 JBLs for the ceiling.

Thanks!!!!

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I'm doing a similar setup, I just used a receiver that has the same number of channels as the speakers I put into it.

Also, you could run a dedicated media box downstairs instead of having the computer in your kitchen. It's easier to just remote into it with a laptop or iPhone and change the song that way, then all the clutter is not seen.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

I would imagine a nice harmony RF remote would do the trick. You could program buttons to control the computer (through a IR - RF repeater) and the receiver downstairs (again IR/RF).

If you buy a receiver that allows you to switch zones via remote not the typical A, B, A+B buttons you could control inputs/tracks/volume/zone all from one single remote.

These remotes can also do home automation and control every DVD player, Blueray Player, CD Player, SAT, Game consol and TV you can imagine.

The only thing it WONT do is control the wifey/girlfriend's irritating nag. For that there is chloroform!

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

Quick and easy, impedence matching volume controls and a 2channel receiver. Find the sources your looking to connect, iPod dock, cd player etc...
    Is there cat5 run the the volume controls? Get a powered IR kit use the volume control to select songs/sources.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Now that you can interface an iPhone with iTunes over your wireless network, and control iTunes from the iPhone, I don't see why you would bother buying a stand-alone home controller. (this also may work with an iPod touch, not sure).

Get a receiver with multiple zone output (pretty easy, most have an A/B zone selection), hook up your computer to the receiver, and use the iPhone to control the system from anywhere in the house on wireless.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by 97'Scort
    Now that you can interface an iPhone with iTunes over your wireless network, and control iTunes from the iPhone, I don't see why you would bother buying a stand-alone home controller. (this also may work with an iPod touch, not sure).

Get a receiver with multiple zone output (pretty easy, most have an A/B zone selection), hook up your computer to the receiver, and use the iPhone to control the system from anywhere in the house on wireless.
    It does with with a Touch as well, plus there's an application called iAmp which will let you control Winamp for the people who don't like iTunes.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    1098S

Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
    Quick and easy, impedence matching volume controls and a 2channel receiver. Find the sources your looking to connect, iPod dock, cd player etc...
    Is there cat5 run the the volume controls? Get a powered IR kit use the volume control to select songs/sources.
    Everything you need. I have some impedance matching Tru Audio controls brand new kicking around if anyone needs some. $50ea

I think they retail for $125ea.
    Originally posted by S2K2
    Haha I am pushin more hp than your car will ever see I have carbon fiber u don't...
    Originally posted by Sebasshole
    But give her a thumb in the eye just to be safe.