Quantcast
What happens when you're caught driving with a suspended licence - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: What happens when you're caught driving with a suspended licence

My Ride
    2006 Civic Si

Default What happens when you're caught driving with a suspended licence

So someone I know had his licence suspended for a month because he accumulated 12 demerits in one month. Yes he is a bad driver and deserves this suspension. But recently he got caught driving his girlfriend's car and he pretty much got a slap on the wrist. He gave CPS a fake name and told them he lost his wallet. But CPS found out who he was in the end and slapped him with a whopping $100 obstruction fine.

Is that all a person gets if they get caught driving with a suspended driver's licence? If not then what is the usual punishment?
    Originally posted by King Banana

So confused, how do you get the other menu, is there like a secret chinese handshake, or do you need to bring in a jar of blood from a chinese daughter?
    I need like a how-to - order chinese food for white people.

My Ride
    '16 Sportwagen

Wow that seems a little weak. I thought that being caught with a suspended license meant possible jail time or a really big fine. I'm going to read up on it.

doesn't make sense.

Obstruction is a Criminal Code charge. He would have to appear in Provincial Court and face a judge, who would impose a fine/jail time. Nothing on the spot.

As for driving suspended, he would get a court appearance pink copy for driving while disqualified, and the car he was driving would be siezed for 30 days.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

My Ride
    4 doors, 4 cylinders

Originally posted by DayGlow
    doesn't make sense.

Obstruction is a Criminal Code charge. He would have to appear in Provincial Court and face a judge, who would impose a fine/jail time. Nothing on the spot.

As for driving suspended, he would get a court appearance pink copy for driving while disqualified, and the car he was driving would be seized for 30 days.
    Right as usual.

I couldn't imagine the chaos if Obstruction was a $100 fine.
    Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

...and not to mention the big drive uninsured ticket, as suspension of your license makes you uninsurable.

Something about this is off - his girlfriend's car should now be in the impound lot for 30 days, and he should have a whack of tickets, not to mention a criminal obstruction charge.

What is this claimed $100 obstruction fine he is talking about? Are you sure he isn't BSing you?

If you get caught driving with a suspended license that is an automatic appearance before a judge as well where they can add more fines and extend the suspension. I got pulled over suspended when I was 18, got the no insurance ticket since mine was expired but the cop was VERY nice and just wrote that my license was expired and when I went to court the crown dropped that ticket as well as a couple of others and only gave me the no insurance $1700 fine. If he doesn't have a court day to go to the cops were Extremely nice to your friend but it sounds very off since lieing to cops usually doesn't help you get on their good side.

For the first offence of driving while unauthorized, it's a mandatory further 6 months of driving suspension and a fine of up to $2000.00

If you are caught driving while unauthorized a second time within one year, it's a mandatory minimum of 14 days in jail.

As others have already said, there is no such thing as an obstruction 'ticket' - that's a criminal code offence.

It is possible that a $100.00 fine would be given on an offence of obstruction in the situation of giving a fake name to police, if the person has no prior record - but that person would also receive a criminal record - to me, that's worse than any traffic ticket.
    Last edited by dexlargo; 08-10-2009 at 03:39 PM.

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

From what you're telling us, Ashton Kutcher should have run up and yelled "YOU GOT PUNK'D!" after you got that obstruction "ticket". Doesn't make any sense.
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

My Ride
    2000 Civic SiR

If you are under a provincial suspension: IE your friend who apparently drives like an asshole...

You get a ticket under the Alberta Traffic Safety Act for Driving While Unauthorized. This is a summons and a manditory court appearance where you have to go tell the judge why you are being an idiot. On top of that, the vehicle you are driving, no matter who's it is, gets impounded for a period of 30 days. Normally the no insurance ticket is not issued as the vehicle is still insured and if involved in a crash would still be covered under the owners insurance, however the other driver can go after you in civil court for damages. Fun times.

If you are under a criminal code suspension: IE you are a dumb ass and got an impaired driving conviction or the courts took your licence away as part of a criminal conviction...

You get a fancy new charge of Driving While Prohib under the Criminal Code of Canada. You get a court date and once again get to explain to the judge why you are being an idiot. The vehicle is again impounded for 30 days.

Either your buddy isn't telling you the whole story, or CPS dropped the ball...hard. I'm leaning more towards option "A" as there's no such thing as an obstruction ticket.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-13-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Shit doesn't add up.