Quantcast
Fixed or Variable? Best Mortgage for Right Now - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Which is the best rate for right now?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-yr fixed @ 4%

23 56.10%
  • 3-yr fixed @ 3.15%

5 12.20%
  • 5-yr variable open @ prime + 0.60

7 17.07%
  • 5-yr variable closed @ prime + 0.30

6 14.63%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fixed or Variable? Best Mortgage for Right Now

My Ride
    R50

Question Fixed or Variable? Best Mortgage for Right Now

It's finally time for me to pick a better mortgage. Considering BoC won't move prime until next June at the earliest, I'm leaning towards the 5 year fixed to play it safe for the remaining 4.5 years. What would you guys choose?

1. 5 year fixed
    - 4%
    2. 3 year fixed
    - 3.15%
    3. 5 yr Open variable
    - prime + 0.60
    4. 5yr Close variable
    - prime + 0.30

My Ride
    an econo box

I just took a 5 year variable with lock-in option.

Fixed payments based on 4.7% but rate at the moment is 1.875%!! So I'm getting some good money down on the principal this year.

I'm watching it like a hawk though.

no where to go but up from here. I am getting a 5 year fixed when I do mine.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    06 civic ex coupe

Get the 5 year for the security.

I lucked out, 2 years ago I signed a 5 year variable at prime - 0.5, and with prime at around 2ish the last few months, I have been paying 1.75% on my mortgage. I doubt this will last the entire 5 years though.

My Ride
    R50

Wow, almost an even split between the 5 year Fixed vs. the 2 Variable options!

This is a bit interesting, prime right now is 2.25%. So looks like some of you are saying I am potentially overpaying for the first few years before prime goes back up by 1-1.5%, which will then bring the Variable options back up to the 4% that the Fixed is offering.

The thing I'm trying to consider is the trend for prime, I'm thinking there will be minimal changes during 2010... maybe a 20pts increase at the most. Then as the recovery starts, I think there will be slight increases every quarter from 2011 onwards. If this is the case, I'll overpay for the first 2 years, break even at around the end of year 4, then enjoy a little bit of savings on the final year of the term.

I don't know, is my view of how the economy will recover for the next little while too optimistic?

My Ride
    XT6

Anyone who has suggested variable has a short-term focus.

you can use this calculator to compare
    http://www.yourmortgage.com.au/calcu...ixed_variable/
    heloc that shit

Originally posted by Chandler_Racing
    Maximum term is 5 years. Do you consider 5 years a long term focus?
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    04 TSX

Originally posted by KrisYYC
    I just took a 5 year variable with lock-in option.

Fixed payments based on 4.7% but rate at the moment is 1.875%!! So I'm getting some good money down on the principal this year.

I'm watching it like a hawk though.
    How are you getting prime minus right now on a variable mortgage?

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Just a thought:

If the stock market hits the crapper again (good chance of that me thinks!) there will be a flight to safety again and bond yields may drop bringing down the 5 year rate.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Chandler_Racing
    Historically, people who have done a variable rate mortgage have done better.

My Ride
    R50

Originally posted by benyl

Historically, people who have done a variable rate mortgage have done better.
    This is very truth. If your terms are short and you keep renewing at a newer rate, the chance of you outperforming a fixed rate is pretty high.

Originally posted by lint
    you can use this calculator to compare
    http://www.yourmortgage.com.au/calcu...ixed_variable/
    Thanks, nice fine man! I searched a bit more and found this other tool as well. It bit more user friendly cuz everything is done in one table.

http://www.loansense.com.au/calculat..._vs_fixed.html

So I plugged in 4% Fixed vs 2.55% Variable (2.25+0.30 for closed) for a go. Using assumption of 10pt increase on prime every month (ie. 30pts every quarter), starting 8 months from today (a bit more conservative just to be safe...). I'm seeing that I'll actually pay about $1500 more towards my actual mortgage every year if I chose Vari over Fixed! Man, I hope I'm using this tool correctly, cuz it sure looks like Variable is still the way to go for the next 5 years...

Time Principle Paid
    Year 1 $1,560.19
    Year 2 $2,941.48
    Year 3 $4,147.32
    Year 4 $5,181.37
    Year 5 $6,047.47

When the govt says they are "committed" to keeping rates low you have to take that at face value. Last summer the BOC announced rates were going up and were going to be much higher by year end. Rates went up one month and then dropped like a rock. So I never trust the govt. They can't guarantee what's going to happen because they can't predict the economic future either.

The other thing you have to consider is when historically variable has done better, historically rates haven't been this low for such a long time. Rates can really only go up from here (very little room to fall). It's like shorting the stock market when it's almost at zero, you've almost hit the end of the spectrum. Not saying that it has to go up but the chances of going up from here are much higher than going lower.

I am by no means the best at predicting things but this is just more info for you to digest.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Yes, but until it goes up, you are paying less interest and more principal.

Originally posted by whodiman
    The other thing you have to consider is when historically variable has done better, historically rates haven't been this low for such a long time. Rates can really only go up from here (very little room to fall). It's like shorting the stock market when it's almost at zero, you've almost hit the end of the spectrum. Not saying that it has to go up but the chances of going up from here are much higher than going lower.

I am by no means the best at predicting things but this is just more info for you to digest.
    I don't think anyone is arguing that rates have any where to go but up. But interest rates have to rise so that the average interest rate paid on the variable mortgage must exceed 4% before the fixed rate is more beneficial for the term.
    heloc that shit

Fixed rate mortgages are for people that have a very low risk tolerance. Risk averse people like stability, and for this stability you end up paying more interest. If you find that you are someone that likes to have budgets for everything, stick to a fixed rate mortgage.

I'm on a variable rate mortgage but I asked the bank to keep my monthly payments the same instead of dropping every few weeks when the BoC kept slashing the rates. This way I don't get used to the low payments and worry about cutting my spending if the rate starts climbing again.

Everyone has a different risk tolerance, and the poll shows that.
    ---

Originally posted by kenny
    I'm on a variable rate mortgage but I asked the bank to keep my monthly payments the same instead of dropping every few weeks when the BoC kept slashing the rates. This way I don't get used to the low payments and worry about cutting my spending if the rate starts climbing again.
    I am doing the same think.

My payments are what they would be for a 5.15% interest rate but my current rate is only 1.65% so I am paying off quite a bit of principle every month.

Default Re: Fixed or Variable? Best Mortgage for Right Now

Originally posted by cdnsir
    It's finally time for me to pick a better mortgage. Considering BoC won't move prime until next June at the earliest, I'm leaning towards the 5 year fixed to play it safe for the remaining 4.5 years. What would you guys choose?

1. 5 year fixed
    - 4%
    2. 3 year fixed
    - 3.15%
    3. 5 yr Open variable
    - prime + 0.60
    4. 5yr Close variable
    - prime + 0.30
    Where did you get your 4% 5 year closed from by chance? I'm seeing 4.19% as the low so far.

My Ride
    R50

^^
    Hmm... It might be against forum rules because I think there's a sponsoring broker on here. But, I guess I can be pretty vague about this subject, and just say it is from one of the big 5. Given the right financial numbers, it is something that we can get.

Originally posted by sputnik

I am doing the same think.

My payments are what they would be for a 5.15% interest rate but my current rate is only 1.65% so I am paying off quite a bit of principle every month.
    My numbers are identical
    ---

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast