Quantcast
underwhelmed since you've graduated? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: underwhelmed since you've graduated?

Default underwhelmed since you've graduated?

I graduated a few years ago in electrical engineering technology. I am 23 and have a wicked career, that it seems i am good at, and people seem to like me at.

Anyone else graduate and feel like that although your doing 'good' at your job (I make +$70,xxx a year) and enjoy their job but feel that they should be contributing more? or feel like in this economy although they have a 'secure' job they are still worrying?

Does this mean I need a career change? or i am retarded and this is what a grownup is like and I will spend the next 30 years remembering my few years in HS, between HS, and in college?
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    E.L

I'm 23 and i don't make that much as a recent graduate, Ur lucky, I think ur putting too much pressure on yourself in turn it makes you feel like u want to contribute more. I;d say stick with the job, save your money, plan investments, retire at 50, and sa-lav-eeee

My Ride
    Axis powers

Ithought I was safe in my job but then all of a sudden I was laid off. Mind you I landed a new job a couple days later but it was still a scary thing...
    Sig nuked by mod.

maybe i am reading WAY to much into this, but I work 60 hour weeks once a month to make sure I am TRYING my hardest to make sure everything design I send to my boss for review is perfect.

I feel like I am a fuckup otherwise. Just tired of hearing of bullshit and feeling like I am constantly fixing stuff that isn't really my fault.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Its called paying your dues.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Cos
    I feel like I am a fuckup otherwise. Just tired of hearing of bullshit and feeling like I am constantly fixing stuff that isn't really my fault.
    Welcome to the real world. If you are lucky, they'll recognize your effort. If not, someone else is probably cashing in on your effort.

Dealing with BS, politics and upper management decision is a way of life until you are the top of the chain. And remember, there is NO safe jobs, deal with it. Just count your lucky stars that you HAVE a job that pays and you like. Same can't be said with a lot of other graduates.

I'm 23 and can't find a job with my Bio degree so count your blessings...

My Ride
    08 GTI 6MT RS

Unless you own the company, "Working Your Ass Off" Is pointless, because when it comes down to it, a company doesn't have a conscience and will dump you on the ass whenever they need too.

It must be nice to be a perfect do'good-always person.

Get over yourself pal

My Ride
    14' C63 507 Edition Coupe

Are you saying that you like what you do or you dont? I'm having a hard time deciphering whether you feel you should be "contributing more" to your job or to society as a whole..

Im the second one.. everyone always says oh you make good money what are you complaining about but at the same time that paychek only makes you work hard for probably the first month or two then it becomes just that...a paychek. Job satisfaction is a pretty big factor..not so much in todays market but definitely when times were good graduating students had the ability to choose what organization we wanted to work for not based solely on how much we get paid but other things like the social responsibility of the company, atmosphere, etc. etc.

Some people are ok with sitting at a desk in a big building doing meaningless work (not saying your work is meaningless but in the grand scheme of things maybe not so important to anyone but the organization) for really good money that gives them the means to do the things they really want to do when not at work...but there are those people who dread going to the office after a while because its the same thing over and over, no matter how much they get paid!...the people that need change and challenge and excitement are the people who might settle for less money to actually somewhat enjoy doing what they will be doing for the next 30+ years and to some that is very important..especially because its what youll be doing for most of the hours in your daily life!!

Im stressing about that right now...I dont want to waste my career doing something "meaningless" just because the salary is good... This might sound cheesy but ultimately I think the only way I'll be happy is if I start my own business and in turn be able to help less fortunate children through my success who may not be able to get an education. Hopefully I get there one day!

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

LOL i feel the same.
    I'm a good position at my job, make good money, but feel so about it..
    I'm just glad i am getting paid these days.. work is few and far between.

I'm a recent grad and I'm doing my best to get out of my high-paying, secure job to go to a lower-paying, possibly insecure job just because I can't fucking stand what I do here and everything about the other job seems like a glorious Eden. I may be in for a massive disillusioning but I'd rather take the risk then continue being treated as a miscellaneous resource.

I know that I'm good at what I do and I work hard. If I'm not putting enough effort into my work or if it's not up to my employer's standards then they will let me know and I'll correct for it. As for job security, you can never be 100% secure but, for some reason, I'm not worried.
    Last edited by Mibz; 08-13-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Originally posted by GTI CANADIAN
    Unless you own the company, "Working Your Ass Off" Is pointless, because when it comes down to it, a company doesn't have a conscience and will dump you on the ass whenever they need too.

Word. The company doesnt owe you anything, and you dont owe the company anything. Everybody is dispensible and thats something many forget. Its something to keep in perspective that there are always other options its just how you go about attaining those, and making opportunity to something else.

Originally posted by oilerfan4lyfe
    I'm 23 and can't find a job with my Bio degree so count your blessings...
    Did anyone here become successful after getting a BSc in Science?

My Ride
    06 civic ex coupe

Originally posted by dizzle

BioScience is useless, be prepared to do another degree...I know this first hand.

Originally posted by dizzle

geophysicists, geologists, earth scientists, acturial scientists just to name a few.
    Originally posted by theken
    Off duty cop means not a cop. At that time he is a normal person.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Yes. Just like a ninja in street clothes isn't a ninja.

My Ride
    rsx-s

Originally posted by vtec4life
    Are you saying that you like what you do or you dont? I'm having a hard time deciphering whether you feel you should be "contributing more" to your job or to society as a whole..

Im the second one.. everyone always says oh you make good money what are you complaining about but at the same time that paychek only makes you work hard for probably the first month or two then it becomes just that...a paychek. Job satisfaction is a pretty big factor..not so much in todays market but definitely when times were good graduating students had the ability to choose what organization we wanted to work for not based solely on how much we get paid but other things like the social responsibility of the company, atmosphere, etc. etc.

Some people are ok with sitting at a desk in a big building doing meaningless work (not saying your work is meaningless but in the grand scheme of things maybe not so important to anyone but the organization) for really good money that gives them the means to do the things they really want to do when not at work...but there are those people who dread going to the office after a while because its the same thing over and over, no matter how much they get paid!...the people that need change and challenge and excitement are the people who might settle for less money to actually somewhat enjoy doing what they will be doing for the next 30+ years and to some that is very important..especially because its what youll be doing for most of the hours in your daily life!!

Im stressing about that right now...I dont want to waste my career doing something "meaningless" just because the salary is good... This might sound cheesy but ultimately I think the only way I'll be happy is if I start my own business and in turn be able to help less fortunate children through my success who may not be able to get an education. Hopefully I get there one day!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dizzle
    [B]

+1 on that

Originally posted by Dr_Funk

BioScience is useless, be prepared to do another degree...I know this first hand.
    biosci isn't "useless..." you just need to understand what teh various job qualifications call for. you need at least a msc to get a technician position, and a phd if you want to be in any sort of leadership position. i'd have to say that anyone expecting a good job in biology with just a BSc is a fool and probably doesn't deserve a position anyhow.

the same goes for all of the sciences...

(and i'm not talking about the U of C earth science program, which is far less rigorous than the sciences and is meant to train monkeys in pseudo-science, so they can fill the field and lab positions in consulting companies.)

Bio med tech was rated as a top job in 2009

My Ride
    06 civic ex coupe

Originally posted by nonlinear

biosci isn't "useless..." you just need to understand what teh various job qualifications call for. you need at least a msc to get a technician position, and a phd if you want to be in any sort of leadership position. i'd have to say that anyone expecting a good job in biology with just a BSc is a fool and probably doesn't deserve a position anyhow.

the same goes for all of the sciences...

(and i'm not talking about the U of C earth science program, which is far less rigorous than the sciences and is meant to train monkeys in pseudo-science, so they can fill the field and lab positions in consulting companies.)
    For me, after a 4 year degree, and you have to consider more school to get a decent job, then that degree is pretty useless.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-13-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast